November 28, 2014

Reaper: Ashes to Ashes

by Paul Goebel, posted Nov 28th 2007 9:02AM

Reaper: Ashes to Ashes(S01E09) "I feel like the weirdest drug dealer of all time." -- Bert "Sock" Wysocki

If there were a country populated by MILFs, Julie Cooper would be the President. I never realized how much I missed Melinda Clarke until tonight. She must have a great time running down her resume for people..."I've played a dominatrix, a scheming predator of high school boys and the devil's girlfriend."

If there was ever a doubt about how involved Kevin Smith is in this series, tonight's episode should put those doubts to rest. Watching Sam, Sock and Ben discuss Sam's love trials made me feel like I was watching Jay & Silent Bob Chase Amy at the Mall. I really appreciate how the show has taken its time revealing the relationship between Sam and Andi. It's great when the character who is in an unreal situation still has to deal with very real problems. I know that no show can ever replace Buffy, but Reaper comes awfully close for me.

I love the little conversations these characters have about the existential aspects of their situation. I mean, if they now have proof that there is a devil then are they now forced to believe that there is also a God? The devil often references God but I have yet to see the hard evidence. By the way, how ironic was it when Ben's grandmother told him he was doing "God's work?"

When the show first started I was worried that they would spend a lot of the season doing what Smallville did and have Sam just fight "the monster of the week." But, so far, all of the escaped souls have been pretty interesting and this week was no exception. I like it when the writers realize that they aren't bound by any rules when they make up crazy stuff like this so they swing for the fences. Whether it's the insect lady or Patton Oswalt or a "ghost" I really look forward to seeing the new soul each week.

In the history of TV shows where the devil is a major character, the big problem is always making him two-dimensional. He's either pure evil all the time or he's a comic figure who scares nobody. The fact that Reaper has avoided this pitfall is at the core of it's brilliance. Seeing the menace that he is capable of when he warned Sam about his meddling was truly unsettling. Of course, much of the credit goes to Ray Wise, who has the amazing ability to seem friendly and dangerous at the same time.

I had almost forgot about the previews that hinted at Sam's new love interest. Just another added wrinkle to make the show as interesting as it can be. Now, I guess, it's Andi's turn to be jealous and the fact that Cady may be the daughter of the devil cements this show on my must-watch list.

Is Cady the daughter of the devil?
Yes198 (67.8%)
No94 (32.2%)

Big D

I don't think there is a better actor to play the devil than Ray Wise. Tan, perfectly coiffed. A warm smile that has more than a hint of....something else. Also the world's scariest boss. My favorite devil saying "Wow, your boss is a real douche..."

The sub-story of what is going on with the contract, the parents, the devil, Andi, etc. is facinating. It is all tied up, somehow. The devil is the lord of lies, and he is manipulating Sam somehow, toward something. But what?

November 29 2007 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dennis

She has turtles?
If i ever met a girl who has turtles
I'd propose man.
And highlander fan...
Sorry Bones, this is my new fav girl :)

November 28 2007 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nickmagoo

of course, in re-reading what you wrote i see 2D was correct...i need my coffee.

November 28 2007 at 5:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nickmagoo

"the big problem is always making him two-dimensional."

fyi: i think you mean three dimensional. 2D is flat.

i must say the devil's (er, "jerry") girlfriend was a fine example of female cuteness, although she was pretty annoyingly stupid ("i've been with this guy for TWENTY years and he treats me like crud and i just don't know what to do?" she did say TWENTY, right? what, was she 14 when she started dating the devil?

i was also thinking she was going to come on to sam (and he reciprocate the advance) - now THAT would be a predicament - and then it would make meeting the daughter even more interesting - and make future episodes loaded with that much more suspense regarding how devil would punish sam for messing with his girl...

November 28 2007 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

I personally think that this show is shaping up to be way better than Buffy, but then I watched Buffy after it had finished so don't have the emotional tie to the characters and simply consider the show overrated after the third/parts of the fourth season, and it shouldn't have gone past five.

November 28 2007 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LRS62

Too bad the show has been put on hiatus for reruns of One Tree Hill.

I hate anyone who runs a network.

November 28 2007 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4ham

I say this every time I watch Reaper, gotta love that Devil.

November 28 2007 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
keithnl

"Seeing the menace that he is capable of when he warned Sam about his meddling was truly unsettling. Of course, much of the credit goes to Ray Wise..."

Another great episode, and in a long list of highlights that scene is what keeps coming back to me. I liked that his menace is isn't predicated on letting his mask slip and giving Sam a peak at his true physical form.

Ray wise just exuded menace and murderous intent, in just the way he held himself. Which really paid off when he snapped his fingers at the end. Sam wasn't the only one fooled by that.

Which brings me to Buffy, its nice to be reminded that the threat is real and dangerous which is what Buffy did in spades. Although Im sure Reaper won't go as dark.

November 28 2007 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply