October 22, 2014

Bionic Woman: Do Not Disturb

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 29th 2007 12:12AM

Jaime Sommers(S01E08) Jaime: "Antonio used to say 'a briefcase is never really a briefcase.' "
Jonas: "Yeah, well, Antonio's dead."

I usually highlight a good, funny line of dialogue or exchange, but the above is so laughably bad I had to place it right at the top.

So let me get this straight: Jaime, who doesn't want her sister to know about her spy life because she doesn't want to put her life in danger, brings her along on an assignment to drop off a mysterious package to a mysterious stranger? Yeah, that's a good idea. And then she slips up and gives away info that the bad guy isn't supposed to know that she has, blowing her cover.

I believe I said this before, but I'll say it again: Jamie Sommers is the worst agent in the world.

This continues to be a baffling show, but one that's entertaining. For every single "what the hell?" moment, you get moments like the banter between Nathan and Jaime which is funny, or the scene with Jonas killing the guy posing as the valet. Good stuff. But Michelle Ryan continues to have the personality of a coffee mug, and her sister just brings the whole show down. I find myself screaming at the television, WILL YOU PLEASE JUST TELL YOUR SISTER YOU'RE A SPY?! It's going to come up at some point, and it will probably save her life if she knows what to look out for (strangers coming to the door, weird packages, whatever). Jaime thinks she's protecting little sis when in reality she's putting her life in danger week after week.

And I love the opening scene, with the entire secret organization at a bar saluting the life of Antonio Pope (Isaiah Washington). The scene didn't ring true at all, because I doubt most of these people (except Jaime) would hang out in bars, there was never any hint of any closeness between these people, and it just seemed tacked on to give some continuation to the story of Pope's death. Besides, you'd think they could afford a bar in that deluxe HQ they spend all of their time in.

The plots continue to be somewhat intriguing, but they all end up leading nowhere. Like tonight. Jaime finds out that the sullen, emo-looking guy that her little sis meets at the lodge is the son of a man that needs to be assassinated. That could be an interesting (if contrived) story, but all we get lots of running around and serious looks from bad guys following them. I was truly, truly, truly hoping that the son would actually turn out to be a bad guy too, helping his dad, and he'd pull a gun on Jaime, but that never happened. And if I can say, if Jaime needs to call her boss, maybe she shouldn't borrow some guy's cell phone. He can now hit "redial" and find out all about the secret organization and maybe even her bionic-ness.

But again, I can't sit here and say it's so bad that I won't watch next week or that I want to stop reviewing the show. I've had shows like that before, but I enjoy this show even though it has, well, bionic flaws.

What's your opinion of Bionic Woman so far?
It's great, I don't see anything wrong with it.73 (17.5%)
It's OK, nothing special.104 (25.0%)
It's lame, but I'll keep watching.143 (34.4%)
It's lame, and I'm going to stop watching.96 (23.1%)

Anthony

@kevjohn:
"you're running away from the lodge and your car blows the F up. You escape in time, procure another car and.... return right back to the lodge."

was it just me, or did they not go to some other location?

December 05 2007 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Con

Although I do agree the writing is horrible, i liked the "Antonio is dead line". It shows a the colder side of the spy character that is rarely properly portrayed. It also added a level of contrast between her feelings, in which she clearly misses Antonio, whereas Jonas has more or less forgotten the man, even though he probably spent much more time with him.

The plots are bad, and the sister is shit, but most of the actors are good.

Also, I dont buy the whole Jaime complains about lack of homeliness of the compound, so Ruth rushes to buy a plant. The character had such a strong appearance of impassiveness and strength, that she should have a pretty strong frame and not change her ways as soon as Jaime tells her she dislikes her office. Just seemed off character.

December 02 2007 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

There are so many things about this show that went wrong, it is just sad. What they were thinking, by introducing the romantic storyline, and most stunningly stupefying of all, completely dropping Starbuck and the shadowy guys around her. No explanation, no reasoning, all of a sudden, Sarah Corvus and the guy that was broken out of prison, the arch nemesis, (or so we thought), and nothing happens!! And then they decide to give her a freaking boyfriend!

I am sorry, Bionic Woman fans, but if there is one show that needs to be cancelled, (and we all know NBC is going to cancel something), it is Bionic Woman, not the far superior Journeyman.

Just a hint, when a series has its best moments in the second and third episodes, and bottoms out from there, that is a bad sign. Every other new show has progressed and improved over the course of the season (Moonlight was absolutely horrible at the beginning, worse than Bionic Woman is now, but it has gotten so much better), but Bionic Woman has flatlined!

It needs to be taken off the ventilator, People!!!

December 01 2007 at 3:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stigmata

oh my god!!!
even the razor 2 min flashbacks are a billion times better acted, scripted, directed, edited,......need i go on?

what the f*** was sackhoff thinking associating with this vile, disgusting, putrid, piece of visual waste!? 'tis an assault on the ears and eyes, as one famous critic put it.

thank god is 99.99999% canceled!

December 01 2007 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

I kinda liked this episode. Up until the point they got into the car and tried to escape the lodge. Then it took a precipitous nosedive in terms of overall quality and got bewilderingly stupid. For instance, you're running away from the lodge and your car blows the F up. You escape in time, procure another car and.... return right back to the lodge.

I swear this is the only show on television that gets me yelling at the screen. And yet I won't stop watching.

November 30 2007 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Grace

I agree with Greg - just because she's bionic, doesn't mean she's good. I think she's catching on, but like anything else in the world, experience makes all the difference and i think this episode emphasized this. Everyone kept telling her that things would get easier as time wore on.

By the way, i love this show! I was a devoted follower of JJ Abrams' Alias, and while this is no Alias, it is an interesting take on the spy scene. I think it has a lot of potential and i for one will be terribly disappointed if NBC cancels this show after the strike ends.

November 30 2007 at 4:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

nabby good call!!! REVIEW THE UNIT AND NCIS TOO!!! love supernatural too!! LOL

November 29 2007 at 10:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nabby

Tom (4) is right on the mark. This Turkey is cooked, in fact, it's staler than last week's Thanksgiving dinner.

Come on, TV Squad, it's time to abandon this stinking/sinking ship, and to start reviewing Criminal Minds instead. That series is having some bang-up episodes (the one two weeks ago was fantastic).

And viewers, check out Supernatural -- that's the show that should be this season's breakout hit: terrific stories, witty/funny/scary writing, and a brother-brother relationship that sadly puts Bionic's sibling story to shame.

November 29 2007 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Caught You

TVSquad's review of this episode has been plagiarized! Not word for word, but unmistakably duplicated at this fan-site: http://www.bionicwomanfanatic.com/episodes/season_1/do-not-disturb/

Shameless, you should make them take it down or give you credit.

November 29 2007 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Derek

I think this show started out on the wrong foot. They should have made her a well-trained government agent from the start. The fact that she was a bartender prior to becoming "bionic" makes the whole setup unrealistic.

November 29 2007 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply