April 20, 2014

Mental Floss lists nine legendary cartoon voices

by Brad Trechak, posted Nov 29th 2007 8:40AM
Bart SimpsonNot enough credit is given to the voice actors and actresses who gave audio life to our favorite cartoon characters. Fortunately, blogs like mental floss are trying to pick up the slack.

A lot of the work of Nancy Cartwright, the voice of Bart Simpson, is mentioned, but I bet none of her other gigs pay as well as Bart. I'm actually a bit of a fan of Billy West and love his work on Futurama.

While I find the list impressive, I do note some glaring omissions. Where is Mel Blanc, the man who gave the most immortal rendition of Bugs Bunny (although he didn't even originate the character)?

Also, it has been flagrantly ignored that Scatman Crothers was also the voice of the Autobot Jazz in the cartoon The Transformers from the 80's.

Overall, the list is quite interesting. I'm glad I was able to learn the voice of Spider-Pig from The Simpsons Movie. Is there anybody you feel the list has ignored?

[via Pop Candy]

Scott Schrantz

Yeah, the initial list is lacking, but if you read through the comments they more than make up for it. Mel Blanc, Paul Frees, Maurice LaMarche, Frank Welker, Thurl Ravenscroft, Tom Kenny, they all get their due.

November 29 2007 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sitruc

That list felt more like it was a list of nine cartoon voices and not nine "legendary" cartoon voices. As others have said, there were some glaring omissions.

November 29 2007 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FlagPatrick

Frank Welker is a serious omission as is Mel Blanc. As far as some others I would include Jim Cummings. Who does numerous characters for Disney most famously being Winnie the Pooh, he basically took over all of Sterling Halloway's characters. He also did Gargamel from the Smurfs... taking over for Paul Winchell. A couple others I would point to would be Maurice La Marche who still does stuff on Futurerama Morbo and Kiv. He also did Big Bob Pataki on Hey Arnold but his famous voices include The Brain from Pinky and The Brain and a dead on Orson Welles which is kind of like The Brain. Another guy would be Rob Paulson who's surprisingly been around for awhile, in addition to voicing Wakko and Carl Weezer from Jimmy Neutron... he had a role on the 80's Transformers and came back for the new one. He also did the voice of Leonardo on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... Fun fact, the voice of Shredder on TMNT was James Avery... aka Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince of Bel Air.
And these other two artists are comedians who've done numerous voices... first is Carlos Alazaquira(spelling) you can see him on Reno 911 but he's responsible for Rocko, the Taco Bell dog, voices on Spongebob, Camp Lazlo and Fairly Oddparents. And finally Tom Kenny who was seen on Mr. Show is involved in numerous kids shows and adult shows including Camp Lazlo Rocko's Modedrn Life, Boondocks, Tom Goes to Mayor, Handy Manny etc. But he's most known for the voice of Spongebob Squarepants.

So yeah... there's some big omissions!

November 29 2007 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CaptKahunah

Them slighting Mel Blanc is beyond me, but I think the most glaring ommission is June Foray. She voiced Rocky the flying squirell, Natasha Fatale, Granny and Witch Hazel (two of the very few Warner Bros. characters that were not Mel Blanc) and many, many others throughout the years. The woman's contribution to all of our childhoods deserves some props.

November 29 2007 at 11:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Heltsley

Mark Hamill should get massive credit just for the fact that he manages to contort his vocal cords in ways that no human should be able to, in order to voice Joker for the Batman animated series.

I'm also sad to see Peter Cullen and Frank Welker didn't make the list.

November 29 2007 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam C

I was also alarmed when I didn't notice Mel's name on the list. I actually looked over the whole thing again just to make sure.
They should have just gone all David Letterman top 10 just to have room for Mel at the top.

November 29 2007 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathaniel

I find their lack of Mark Hamill disturbing. That man has voiced a LOT. My personal favorite, in terms of impressiveness? Larry 3000 from Time Squad.

November 29 2007 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply