December 21, 2014

Welcome back, Max Headroom - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 29th 2007 4:24PM

Max Headroom

It's rather comforting, if a little scary, to see that even computerized icons can age a lot.

Britain's Channel 4 has brought back Max Headroom, the 80s TV character that everyone thought was just a computer creation but was actually actor Matt Frewer, for a series of TV commercials. The ads (or are they called adverts or something over there?) will show Max insulting Channel 4 for ignoring his idea of a digital TV world.

I didn't realize (or had forgotten) that Channel 4 actually created the character back in the 80s, and the American show (which I was obsessed with for several months - it costarred Jeffrey Tambor and Amanda Pays) was a remake of a British one. I remember him from those Coca-Cola commercials too, but I didn't know he was created by Channel 4. After the jump, one of those Coke commercials for your enjoyment.

Chris

I too was obsessed with Max hedrom in my youth. its great to see they are bringing it back!!

December 15 2007 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ed

For those who want to watch episodes of the US version of the show for free, AOL has 'em for free (to watch or download) at http://video.aol.com/video-category/max-headroom/103273

November 29 2007 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I loved max headroom. Anyone remeber The Art of Noise video for "paranomia"?

Matt Frewer is currently on a show in Canada called Intelligence. A friend of mine works on the show and I was way too excited when I heard she would be working with Max Headroom.

November 29 2007 at 7:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gadlaw

You gotta love Max Headroom. Loved that show, and yes like many others I thought he was real. I mean, real like in digital.. Maybe this will bring old Max back. And thanks for the link, that was great watching it.

November 29 2007 at 6:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tony

Const you just made my day.

LOL

November 29 2007 at 6:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
const

looks like Fred Thompson

November 29 2007 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to const's comment
Bram

Argh, const, you beat me to it. I was going to say, "Well, it's nice that Fred Thompson will have work again after his campaign is over"

November 29 2007 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

"Max Headroom" is one of those shows, along with "Now and Again", that I would LOVE to own on DVD, but don't expect it ever to be released. I know the audience was too small back when it aired, but wouldn't you think in today's geek/technology driven world, it could sell a lot of copies? It wouldn't be very dated, since it was a mix of futuristic and retro at the same time.

November 29 2007 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tess Capra

Maybe now the DVD set will finally be released.

November 29 2007 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tess Capra's comment
Chris

Here's the long advert on YouTube

November 29 2007 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KMF

I devasted my sister a couple years ago by saying "You know he wasn't really computer animated. . ." I mean it was the 80's, the technology was not that great yet.

Good to see Max back, though isn't there computer botox yet? ;)

November 29 2007 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to KMF's comment
Akbar Fazil

I thought the first appearance of Max in the UK was just Matt in a mask but the later US show was actually done on early Amiga computers?

November 29 2007 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brian.stuart

This is in response to Akbar's response. As I understood it, Max Headroom was always Matt Frewer. Believe it or not, not only wasn't he done on computer, but neither were the "computer" backgrounds. They were all traditionally animated. That's what they changed for the US series, using an Amiga to generate backgrounds.

November 30 2007 at 9:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordan Running

I'm glad they got Matt Frewer back to play Max. A couple months ago I was amazed to realize that Frewer also plays Taggart on Eureka.

November 29 2007 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply