April 20, 2014

30 Rock: Cougars

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 30th 2007 8:41AM

30 Rock(S02E07) "Where did you two meet, an Amber Alert?" - Jack, to Liz

On a night when almost everything else I watch is a repeat, it's great - comforting even - to see that there's a new 30 Rock. It's truly one of the very few shows that I look forward to so much that I actually get slightly bummed out when it's a repeat. It has become "that sitcom from the woman who used to be on Saturday Night Live and will probably be canceled" to a new classic. It's monumentally funny and is still running on all cylinders. It's the best comedy on TV right now. And that's my review. The end.

No, just kidding. There's more...

It's hard to choose which subplot was more bizarre tonight, Jack helping Tracy's little league baseball team or Frank going gay for Liz's new 20 year-old boyfriend Jamie (and only for him - as he says, he's not gay or anything). I think I have to actually give the bizarre award to Jack and the team. Sure, Judah Friedlander in a red and white striped tank top and neckerchief (see photo above) is surreal, but with all the Bush/Iraq metaphors and the sight of Alec Baldwin dressed as General MacArthur, standing beneath a "Fun Accomplished" sign ... that plot gets the edge.

Have we seen this delivery boy character before? I don't remember him being on the show before. I thought that Liz would start dating Jamie for more than this one episode, to parallel what is happening with Jack and the Edie Falco character (glad they addressed that tonight, to tell us that Jack is indeed still seeing her), dating in secret, but it all ends when she finds out that his mom (who he still lives with) looks exactly like her. I guess she's going to go back to spending Saturday nights alone and eating meatball subs, watching Top Chef on TiVo (I've been there many times, only replace meatball sub with pizza and Top Chef with Small Space, Big Style). I'm going to assume that Jenna is going to stop dating her 14 year-old boyfriend too.

I also like the mix of episodes they do on this show. It would be a mistake to have every episode be about network problems or what's going on on TGS with Tracy Jordan. You have to have some episodes that really have nothing to do with the show within a show itself, and tonight's ep did that, even have a couple of plots outside of NBC (the ballpark, the nightclub). I just wish that some of the supporting players, like Scott Adsit and Keith Powell, were on it more.

More great scenes and lines:

- "He's cute. He looks like Zac Efron. That's a thing, right?" - Liz

- "You can't be gay for one person. Unless you're a woman, and you meet Ellen."

Liz's line "I'm 37, don't make me go to Brooklyn!", which could easily become a catch phrase for aging New Yorkers.

- Kenneth giving everyone "Secret Rodney" (not Santa) gifts, iPod cases that don't have iPods in them but his Homemade Country Gum (Bacon Mint flavor). I'm waiting for this to show up on the NBC web site. Hey, if they can sell Jerry Springer beer steins, why not?

The best story tonight was...
Liz and the coffee kid208 (34.4%)
Jack/Kenneth and the baseball team190 (31.5%)
Frank being sorta gay176 (29.1%)
Jenna and her young boyfriend30 (5.0%)

Scott

I'd like to see Jamie return once in a while, too, but that's just because I like eye candy :-) I'd never heard of Val Emmich before, but I found out he's a musician and has had like 5 albums in the last few years. I hope he does more acting--the camera just loves him (as does Frank).

December 02 2007 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathaniel Styer

Tracy: "you can read all about it in my tell book. 'Betrayal COLON what really happened with my baseball team COMMA disaster at knuckle beach... QUESTION MARK.

JD: "one word: surge"
Tracy: "THAT'S TWO WORDS"

December 01 2007 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nola

Haha, I'd like to see Jamie return every once in a while just to shake things up with Frank. Love the episode.

Can't believe no one's mentioned Grizz and Dot.com as Dominican Little Leaguers. This show is the best thing on television.

November 30 2007 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fyten

f@cking KSDK in St. Louis decided to air a retrospect on former station employees instead of a new episode of 30 Rock. What?

Both KSDK and NBC got a stern letter from me.

November 30 2007 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
aj

This show is so stupidly, smartly funny except for the Bush digs. I would love to see more jokes and less politcal posturing. I know it is a sign of the times, but entertainment should do just that, entertain.

November 30 2007 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arclight

"but with all the Bush/Iraq metaphors and the site of Alec Baldwin dressed as General McArthur, standing beneath a "Fun Accomplished" sign, that plot gets the edge."

You know Bob, I hate the writer's strike as much as the next guy, but there is a silver lining.

Liberal Hollywood out on strike in commie red shirts on an election year, where they are voluntarily muting themselves, with their digs at conservatives like you mentioned above.

Never get in your opponent's way when they are self destructing.

November 30 2007 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

When Frank came in with the sweater for the coffeeboy I fell off the couch laughing. How many episodes are left?

November 30 2007 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daniel

My favorite lines of the night....
Kenneth -
I don't know Mr. Donehgy, They obviously have some problem with my grandfather because they keep screaming Kill Whitey, and I'm like, Who do you think you are? Alcohol?

Tracy-
I don't want to go off on a rant here... (silence)

Fat Writer
Why isn't this funny, anymore? (or something like that)

I loved this episode... Mainly because my wife who thinks the show sux... was ROFL throughout.

November 30 2007 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chip

Anyone else notice the throwaway line where someone (I forget) refers to Jamie as Harold? I love it.

November 30 2007 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Chip's comment
Karen

Not just Jamie as Harold, but Liz as Maude.

Hee.

November 30 2007 at 5:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

"Practice, meetings... what is this, a marriage?" :D

November 30 2007 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply