August 2, 2014

Friday Night Lights: Seeing Other People

by Brett Love, posted Dec 1st 2007 9:00AM

Friday Night Lights - Taylor Kitsch
(S05E08) I know a few people, and I've read comments from a number of others here at TV Squad, who refuse to watch the promos for shows that the networks put out. It usually boils down to them being either full of spoilers or completely misleading. If you are one of those people, this episode was for you, because not only did those of us that saw the promo have the ending spoiled, but we were also completely misled as to what the episode would be about, and I'm really not sure why the network did it. More on that, and the rest of the happenings this week in Dillon, after the jump.

Ok, since all the promos had the end scene with Landry walking into the police station to confess in them, we'll start with that. Despite the rocky reception the whole murder story has received, the show is kind of stuck with it at this point and they are going to have to deal with it. I just don't get why all the promos I saw this week played that story up for this episode. It was such a small portion of it that it seemed an odd choice, especially given the way the story has been received.

As far as the story itself goes, I still haven't come around as Jason Katims suggested viewers would. The Landry/Tyra relationship just gets more confusing with each new scene. She's blowing him off, and then she's not. Now we have the touching hand-holding scene. I know that the story between the two of them was supposed to be a huge part of the reason for this entire story, but it just doesn't seem to be working. It seems to me like they got cold feet at some point and backed off. Maybe if we had seen more of the two of them dealing with some of this stuff over the past few weeks it would come across better, but at this point, I'm pretty much waiting for that particular story to be done.

That being said, I did really like the scene with Landry and Lyla. It fit with the new teen messenger Lyla, and it set the stage very well for the final scene when Landry finally headed in to confess. Doing the right thing is something that works with what we have learned about Landry over the past thirty episodes. Unfortunately, he's doing the right thing in a story that doesn't work. Fruit of the poisoned tree and whatnot.

Luckily, there was a lot more going on in Dillon this week. Including some actual football. I've never been all that concerned with how much or how little football they work into the show, because I prefer the off the field stories. But it does seem like the football aspect has been somewhat shorted so far this season. With so much disarray with the team so far this season, I was expecting to see a rare Panther loss. 37 - 0 though, that was a bit unexpected. I suspect that we will see that ship get righted sooner, rather than later. The prospects for the turnaround should be helped by the return of Riggins.

And speaking of our favorite high school drunkard, his was the most surprising story for me tonight. Not that it was full of tricky plot twists or anything, but surprising because I actually liked the scenes with his new roommate. When we saw the beginnings of that my initial thought was, "What the hell?" But tonight I actually found it rather funny. The walking around the house in tighty-whities, mixing the smoothie with whiskey, the binoculars that double as a flask. As they sat in the deer blind drinking the day away I couldn't help but think this was Tim with the ghost of Riggins future. And that, as much as the meth lab in the back yard, was what snapped him out of his funk.

Our pal Saracen had a funk of his own this week. Understandable though, because who doesn't get annoyed with quarterbacking the state championship football team and dating a gorgeous cheerleader? As if he didn't have enough problems to deal with. I'm reserving final judgment on the whole Matt/Carlotta relationship until we see where it goes, but at this point, I'm not a big fan. It still seems a little creepy, and a whole lot inappropriate. Now, get off my lawn. On the plus side, Saracen did have the best line of the night when he picked up Smash and asked him, "Seriously, was it like Cabo in your pants?"

Ah yes, The Smash. His first recruiting trip was everything that it was expected to be, and everything that Mrs. Williams feared it would be. It was interesting in that it showed just how well Smash fits in. He's brash, and at times a blowhard, but he is a charismatic guy. The bit with the girl being the girlfriend of the angry lineman was rather obvious, but still made for a great scene as he made his escape. I think there are still some recruiting hijinks in the offing for Smash, but I'm still betting he ends up at Whitmore, just like his mother wants.

I liked that he called Saracen to bail him out as well. The development of their relationship has progressed nicely over the course of the show. A little acceptance on the part of Smash, and a little (not a lot, but a little) boost to the self esteem for Saracen has put them on what is almost level ground with each other.

And that brings us to the Taylors. It was a heavy week around the Taylor house. First we had Tami 'calling Noah a pedophile in front of the whole school!' Exactly the kind of hyperbole that is to be expected from an angsty teenage mind. I actually thought Tami was mostly in the right here. But then, I don't have kids, so what do I know about parenting a teenage daughter. While she did go too far with the threat of sending Eric over to kick his ass, clearly there is something off with that relationship.

There was also a nice parallel there between Julie's situation with Tami, and Tami's with Eric. Where Julie thinks that everything is innocent and no harm is being done, Tami sees something completely different. Just as Tami thinks her goofing around like kids with Glen is innocent, and Eric has a whole other take on it. Eric really started to sound like Coach Taylor there for a bit when he launched into his reasoning over why that relationship is a problem. And when he went with, "You need to pay more attention to your family." Now, that was never going to be a good idea. Tami didn't even need to voice the response to it, because Eric new what it was, as did we. There was a bit of closure there at the end though, so hopefully the Taylors can have a bit of fun and happiness over the holidays.

As far as Shelly goes, I'm left thinking along similar lines to Eric. Just what is she doing there again? Her little pow-wow with Julie felt a little out of line, especially the way she shushed Tami. For a moment I thought we were headed for the suggestion that Julie go live with Shelly for a while. I think we all know how that would have gone over with Tami. But it would have fit right in with Julie's present state of mind.

So, another one in the books. I think season two is still a step off the pace of season one. That's not the worst place to be though, because I also thought that last season Friday Night Lights was the best new show of the year. With the team finally coming back together and a resolution to the murder mystery coming, hopefully the show can regain that lost step and get back to top form.

It looks like Smash can mark one school off of hist list now. Will he end up at Whitmore after all?
Heck yeah, Mrs. Williams gets what she wants.163 (52.6%)
Nope, The Smash will be at an even bigger school.147 (47.4%)

marah

did matt and carlotta do it?? esp. after riggins asked matt minutes before something about "how's your virginity going?" or something like that...

December 03 2007 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kwill

Tami never used the word "pedophile." That was Julie and her teenage hyperbolic reaction. He was NOT being a good teacher. A male teacher, especially one that young and close to his student's age, should never, ever, ever put himself in that position with a female student (i.e. having lunch, apparently a number of times, behind closed doors). If he does, then he is incredibly stupid and deserves the butt-chewing he gets! (That's Teaching High School Students 101 these days.) Tami's mistake was not shutting the door behind her when they went into that room to talk, but if she had closed the door, no one would have heard her, and Julie wouldn't have been able to freak out over it.

December 03 2007 at 9:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan D

Each week I have trouble justifying coming back for more. LOVED season 1, but this season is just not living up to what I expected. The very first episode of the season started off with Landry improbably committing murder, and then dumping the body. So not only have we had to watch that play out it's course, but the whole Saracen / Carlotta storyline is only slightly less believable. Saracen's a sophomore or junior, so that makes him at best barely 17. Not a chance in hell a young, intelligent, and driven woman like Carlotta is going to risk her career for some podunk TX town high school football star.

December 02 2007 at 2:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jaerisk

Tami calling Noah a pedophile was not called for, I mean did he really cross a line?? Yea she seems to have a bit of a crush on him(or any other older guy with stubble it seems)but I think Noah was being a good teacher and mentor to a possible future journalist major. I stopped watching NBC promos ever since they started screwing with me on ER. geez

December 01 2007 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Georgia

How old is Carlotta?

I wonder how Smash was able to call Matt? He left with only his boxers and was picked up with only his boxers.

I knew as soon as wierd dude told Riggins to get him some cold medicine, he had a meth lab. I'm just glad they did not have Riggins get arrested for the meth lab. I was afraid a cop was going to be the one walking in the door.

Would someone explain what Cabo in the pants means?

December 01 2007 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Georgia's comment
khamel

Cabo

I have to assume you are older than 30 or atleast never went to school with rich white kids and dont live in the south.

its was going to be a party in his pants.

December 01 2007 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rick

I have a STRONG suspicion that Kim Smith is actually getting paid by the recruiters to influence Saracen and Smash. Stupid story line, but that is Season 2.

December 01 2007 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

one of the best episodes of the season.

Brett, there is nothing wrong with the whole Matt/Carlotta thing. Matt deserves it. The nice guy wins!

thank god for DVR, i bet the majority of people watch it later. NBC needs to move it back to a respectable time.

December 01 2007 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Bragg

I think the NBC promo people are the biggest idiots ever. I've been convinced for years that they drive more people AWAY from watching ER than they pull...because the promos always say stupid stuff like "but this young child will pull the ER together" which makes that episode look like it's going to be awful. Then you watch it and whatever they were trumpeting isn't the main gist of the episode at all.

Boo to the NBC promo people!!! Too bad they didn't get laid off too.

Oh, also, this was a very good episode.

December 01 2007 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eric f

Maybe the idea of losing his virginity to a "Kim Smith type" was too much pressure for matt. He probably would have sucked. Now he gets some practice at home first.

"The Landry/Tyra relationship just gets more confusing with each new scene"

Why? The brush-off was only because of the threats from Landry's dad. it's obvious that she is forgetting about that and going with her own feelings.

One thing I thought was curious was how "John from Cincinatti" didn't voice any outrage regarding the allegations.

December 01 2007 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bailey

I love this show, but i want them to stay out of the Taylor household!! I hate their scenes now, even though Tammi and Eric are my favorite characters. Now they just make me uncomfortable. I agree with the fact that Julie and Noah's relationship was inappropriate, but so was Tammi's reaction. Ick, I'm tired of thinking about it.
Loved Saracen this week, and love love loved Riggins. Of course, I generally just love Riggins... But I thought the roommate story line brought him to a place that his brother couldn't - even while sleeping with his old lay.
Ready for Landry to be done with the guilt trip, so let's get it on next Friday!

December 01 2007 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply