September 16, 2014

Six shows I didn't realize were still on

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 3rd 2007 11:02AM

Judge Marilyn MilianA lot of people don't understand this, but even though we write for a television web site and watch tons of television every single day, we can't keep track of everything or watch everything. There are many shows that I realize are on my television but simply don't watch (Grey's Anatomy, CSI, The Bachelor, Maury), and there are a few that I don't watch because I had no idea they were still on. Below are five such shows that I recently found out were still going strong (OK, five are still going strong, one is an old show that I didn't realize was being shown nowadays).

The People's Court: I used to watch this every single day when I was younger (the show's legal expert, Harvey Levin, now runs TMZ.com). That was when a real-life courtroom show was unique, before there were 27 of them on TV every single day. I knew that Judge Judy was still on, and shows with other various judges (Judge Hackett, Divorce Court, Judge Mathis, Judge Maria Lopez, Judge David Young, Christina's Court), but I didn't know this one was still on. It can't be the same without Judge Wapner and baliff Rusty though.

Temptation: This is a remake of the classic 80s game show Sale of the Century, which I used to love. Three contestants square off with each other answering pop culture questions, and along the way they are tempted with offers to get prizes for only a small fee, which will be deducted from their score. I was channel surfing last week and came across this and was shocked to see it's still on (if under a different name).

Soul Train: Yup, it's been on every week since 1971. New episodes aren't airing right now (the last new episodes were in 2006) but it hasn't been officially canceled yet and could still come back.

The Daily Buzz: This syndicated morning show, broadcast from Florida, ran in my area for just a short time a couple of years ago, and I was sorry to see it go. It wasn't great by any means, but it was fun and goofy and did something the other morning shows didn't do. I thought it was canceled, but it's actually still going. I guess they just decided to take it off my local station so they could add another damn hour of local news.

Sunday Morning Shootout: This AMC movie show, hosted by Variety's Peter Bart and producer Peter Gruber, was something I watched every Sunday morning, then it seemed to be pre-empted (or they'd show repeats) for several weeks, so I thought it was one of those cable shows that slipped away quietly into the sunset. But it's still going strong.

Lou Grant: OK, this isn't "still on" as if they're making new episodes, but I thought it was one of those shows from the 70s and 80s that got lost and wasn't run in syndication any longer. Not so. You can see it on American Life every Wednesday at 9 and 11pm. It's celebrating its 30th anniversary this year. I never understood why Lou didn't hire Mary and Murray from WJM.

Bob Andelman

Bob,
You might be interested in this audio interview with Judge David Young: http://www.mrmedia.com/2007/12/judge-david-young-syndicated-tv-judge.html .
Bob Andelman

December 08 2007 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lauren

The Daily Buzz airs in Atlanta on the CW. I really like it!

December 06 2007 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Horse N. Buggy

Two things about "People's Court:"

Does anyone remember the episode of "Sliders" where "People's Court" was not just a cheesy TV show? It was a serious court where the losers were sentenced to death.

Also, there is a guy who hosts specials on the National Geographic channel (which they're trying to make sound hip by calling it Nat Geo - just stop, it's cooler without the nickname) who looks just like Doug Lwelyan (spelling?). Every time I see this "Nat Geo" guy, I do a double take and expect him to interview a guy outside a courtroom.

December 04 2007 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike B.

'Sale' left the air in 1989, although reruns persisted on cable until the mid-90s. Temptation is new this season, and will be gone after this season, since the ratings are abysmal.

December 04 2007 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott mclendon

I can't believe that there are still enough inbred half wits to keep "Survivor" on...."Lou Grant" was a great show("I'm gonna kill you,Rossi!")

December 04 2007 at 5:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicki

Funny, I wasn't aware any of those shows were on ever.

December 03 2007 at 10:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

America's Funniest Home Videos regularly gets my 'Holy crap, that's still on' spit-take.

December 03 2007 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Schmitt

I'm bummed that my local station decided to take off The Daily Buzz from the morning line-up. I agree that it has an irreverence that I find appealing...

December 03 2007 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

You didn't realize the People's Court is still on? It's on like 4-5 times a day in my area. You'd be hard pressed not to channel surf between 4-7pm in my area and NOT find it.

I really like the latest version. The judge, in my opinion, is the best of the on air personalities. For some reason, Judge Judy seems bored these days, and tells the participants the case (based on reading a summary off-air) instead of letting them tell their story. It's kinda annoying.

As far as Soul Train... are they still filming? That would be kinda funny if there were. Didn't realize that show was still around. But since it hasn't been shown on air since 2006, my gut feeling tells me it really shouldn't be included here, as it's not "on"

Regarding the comment on ER, I can totally agree there! That show is still on?! It amazes me anyone still watches that show.

It also amazes me that Funniest Home Videos is still around. I think it found new life on ABC Family. Plus ABC revives it every once in a while.

December 03 2007 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Isn't "According to Jim" still running? Explain that.

December 03 2007 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply