July 28, 2014

Tin Man: Part Two

by Kristin Sample, posted Dec 4th 2007 8:41AM
Tin Man(E02) After reading the comments about last night's part one of Tin Man, I'm a bit skeptical about how many people will (or won't for that matter) tune in tonight. Sure, plenty of people found it entertaining but those who hated it seemed to really loathe it.

For myself, I thought it was pretty good but I like the original story enough to find almost any variation of it amusing. I also know not to expect much from a Sci-Fi channel miniseries. So, I fully anticipated that the special effects would be inconsistent and the dialogue would be insipid.

Nevertheless, the actors were good, great even. Alan Cumming is a genius and Neal McDonough is good enough as the embittered ex-Tin Man. I didn't think that Zooey Deschanel was that bad either--so many people complained about her. She does have an abrupt delivery though (which doesn't work well with some of her mediocre lines).

Speaking of the Tin Man, fear not audiences! As expected he is alive and well thanks in part to a toy horse in his breast pocket which saved him from the bullet and Glitch who saved him from the freezing cold water. After Cain rests up, the two go to bust Raw and D.G. out of Akzadellia's prison. (Sidenote: Where did Glitch get his sick karate moves from and why didn't Cain help at all in that fight?)

D.G., after having her memories extracted, deflecting a pathetic attempt at manipulation on the part of her older sister, and engaging in a cryptic conversation with the Mystic Man, finally gets out of the dungeon. I thought that she would find some ingenious way to do it but, even better, "Toto"/ Tutor comes to the rescue. The dog leads all our main characters to safety and then tells them that they have an emerald to find (oh, after morphing into a large man).

Of course the main characters are distrustful of this shapeshifter but he endears himself to D.G. by showing her a doll and telling her that Lavender Eyes spoke to him in his dreams. And of course audiences are skeptical of Tutor because we just saw him strike a deal with Azkadellia in exchange for his freedom. (Completely Random Sidenote: Don't those little holographic chips he leaves behind look like something from a cracker jack box? Or a crappy toy from one of those little machines that squirt out little plastic nothings in exchange for a few quarters? I definitely won one of those playing skeeball at some time or other.)

For the majority of the episode, we follow D.G. on her search for the emerald and in her journey to reconnect with her past life. I liked seeing her use her magic on those scary wolf-like creatures. However, much more interesting than D.G. I thought was Azkadellia's hidden past. She's not all-bad. Or at least, she wasn't always all-bad. In fact, D.G. helped make her the bad little sorceress she turned out to be. Also, really intriguing was Azkadellia's ugly witch face in the mirror. Whoa, keep the beautiful Kathleen Robertson in her regular make-up please.

The group continues onward to find the emerald but stops off at a house with blue smoke (a sign of the Resistance) to wait until nightfall. There they talk about the machine Azkadellia is making to put the O.Z. into complete darkness. Raw reads Glitch's mind and we find out more about his past (he invented the machine Azkadellia will use). Also, I liked the explanation for why Lavender Eyes has no power. I wondered about this yesterday. She sacrificed her magical abilities to bring D.G. back to life. No pressure D.G. No pressure.

I was a bit disconcerted to find out that Cain's wife is dead. I was hoping that there would be some joyful reunion at the end of that run through the fields but I guess not. I am unconvinced about the Tin Man's role (other than being D.G.'s bodyguard). Will anything good happen for him? Will he get any closure? I mean he is in the title.

And here's a valuable lesson I learned from tonight's presentation of Tin Man: Don't go into scary tombs looking for crying girls dressed like Alice in Wonderland. And when said girl turns into a nasty hag, don't let go of your sister's hand (if you have a magical sister with you at the time). Valuable lesson internalized forever, I liked this angle for Azkadellia. What did you think?

How did you like tonight's episode of Tin Man?
Totally disappointing.20 (4.7%)
Still not sure--I'll wait until tomorrow.67 (15.7%)
I'm really liking it.340 (79.6%)

chris

Yeah, I think overall it was okay, based on the good acting and good art design and sfx and stuff. The script was really really bad.

December 05 2007 at 4:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter

This is one of the classic example of a great idea gone bad. This to me is a damn shame because I have seen bad ideas for movies get all the money they need to produce them; and when you start with something bad no matter how much effects and good writing goes into the screenplay its still going to be bad. In the case of Tin Man we have a great idea but the screenplay writing is that typical
Sci-Fi channel type of writing that does not hold any interest to most viewers over 16. There is so many great ideas that I have seen on this channel but I believe it is the funding that is not allocated to the places where they should in the production. Though I am enjoying the wonderful creativity that is unfolding in this mini series
The dialog is hard to deal with. The first show had almost no character development, though it was wonderfully visual.

December 04 2007 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Peter's comment
chris

yah I totally agree. A good idea with really bad writing. I wonder where they spend the money they should have spent on writers.

December 05 2007 at 4:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
morgan

the series is riveting to me. the only hitch i am finding is that zooey (DG) looks like she is hopped up on goofballs. I swear she did the series stoned.. Maybe it's just her eyes, but she looks like she should be playing the part of the scarecrow without a brain..

December 04 2007 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to morgan's comment
Chadly

No I think she always looks like that. I have only seen her in a few other things but I really don't care for her at all.

I don't have too much positive to say about this series, I was quite disappointed. I enjoy the Tin Man himself, and Allan Cumming is fun to watch as always, but everything else just does not sit well with me at all.

And Zoey Deschenel....she's just awful. I really don't understand the appeal she has to some people.

On a more positive note, this show is still better than that awful Flash Gordon series they've got going on right now.

December 04 2007 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rebecca

Part 2 was a lot better than part 1.

December 04 2007 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin

The series isn't going to be added to anyone's masterpiece list, but it's a pleasant enough diversion. Betcha Tinman is reunited with his son somewhere along the way, the Evil Sister is redeemed before the end of the show, and it all turn's out to be a DG dream. Don't know, just guessing.

December 04 2007 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kevin's comment
Nora

Hi Kevin and Everyone,

I agree that Tin Man will be reunited with his son; and in fact, his son will prove to be honoring his father just as Raw predicted. Though, and this may sound like a horrible truth, I believe Tin Man's wife died to allow some sort of possibility of a deeper friendship develop between DG and him.

Just like JK Rowling announcing ol' Dumbledore is gay; I think writers are enjoying the whole "fanfiction" bit. I mean, what writer wouldn't be flattered to have people start writing tons of sub-stories to their creations. Therefore, I believe that poor TinMan's his wife died for this purpose sadly enough.

If you look at it this way, did his wife's death look make Tin Man heart-set on revenge? He seemed more upset or angry about his son. From a film student's perspective, the whole wife's death scene seem like a good opportunity for DG to give him a little comfort time more than anything.

You know, this whole story seems fanfictionesque in many ways. Granted, good fanfiction, but still.

Two things that would make this series better would be some snappy dialogue and to remove the whole evil witch scene of her opening her shirt to allow monkeys to fly out of her bosom. That was so over the top it was downright laughable!

Regardless of some of its faults, I'll be tuning in tonight on TIVO. I mean, I have to watch HOUSE, case closed. (get it? Case closed - House- Sherlock Holmes- mystery - oh I love corny puns!) Anyway, a show with some seriously good dialogue comes first!

December 04 2007 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
megastar_13

I'm enjoying on in the sense that I know it may not be the best thing ever, but it's pretty damn entertaining. The re-imagining and incorporation of Wizard of Oz references is keeping me amused. The main reason I keep coming back is because of Glitch though-- Alan Cumming has endeared him to me greatly.

December 04 2007 at 9:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nicton

I am absolutely loving this series. Zooey seems to be acting on a par with her other roles, taking on a character that maybe is supposed to be a bit lost in translation. I'm not generally a big sci-fi fan, tho I love fantasy, and this has enough of a mix of the both that it is keeping me glued to my seat and neglecting my family! I love the twist on the original it has taken.... If you're gonna change it, go all the way!

December 04 2007 at 9:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply