September 30, 2014

Boston Legal: Oral Contracts

by Paul Goebel, posted Dec 5th 2007 9:27AM

John Larroquette and William Shatner(S04E08) "No one takes Ann Coulter seriously." - Guy Flanders

Just when I thought the Star Trek jokes were through...
Remember the old days when Bill Shatner wanted nothing to do with his Sci-fi past? It's nice to see that a few years and an Emmy will soften even the hardest heart.

I can only guess that Denny's arrest for solicitation is DEK's effort to show "the other side." Is it really that easy for extraordinary bathroom behavior to be mistaken for cruising? I hope not, otherwise I'll have to curtail my mid morning respite/operettas at the office.

Robert Wuhl has been a favorite of mine since Hollywood Knights and I was pleased to see him again. Unfortunately I am completely over any stories about wacky deejays and their free speech rights. I have to agree with the station manager. If an an employee becomes cost-prohibitive, he gets the axe. As long as no contracts are broken and there's no discrimination involved, they have a right to fire anyone for any reason. More importantly, with satellite radio becoming more and more of a force to be reckoned with, Bob Binder could easily find another gig.

I was really hoping to see Rene Auberjonois but was initially confused as to why Paul was brought in for this particular case. After all Denny has actually done, is it this trumped-up charge that's finally going to take him down? I find that hard to swallow. What was actually fascinating to watch was the moment when Alan realized that he could lose and be responsible for ending his best friend's career over something he didn't even do.

I guess DEK just wanted to get all his favorites some work before he had to stop production. Loretta Devine and Meredith Eaton were both sights for sore eyes. Watching the two of them reminded me of the chemistry between Doug Wambaugh and Judge Bone on Picket Fences.

I got an early Festivus gift this year with the storyline about Katie's suspicions regarding Lorraine. Firstly, let's be realistic, if someone wants to get a new identity and start a new life, that's perfectly fine, for the most part. Unfortunately, one of the few professions where it's important to be truthful about your past is law. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't falsifying your credentials grounds for legal malpractice? Too bad they didn't stretch out the mystery a little bit. At least the fatwa gives me some semblance of a reason to care about Lorraine.

While I wasn't crazy about the cases in this episode, I did like the acting. I just hope I see more Larroquette before the repeats begin... Oh Crap! Oral contracts! I just got it! Well done, Mr. Kelley.

Which guest in tonight's episode was your favorite?
Robert Wuhl18 (9.6%)
Rene Auberjonois68 (36.2%)
Loretta Devine51 (27.1%)
Meredith Eaton28 (14.9%)
Henry Gibson23 (12.2%)

Elvin Russell

I think it's sad to see a show that started out with great characters and interesting writing deteriorate into nothing more than a blatant political platform for Mr. Kelly and ABC to spew their social and political political propaganda onto their viewers. I suppose it should be expected as they did the same thing with Boston Legals predecessor--The Practice. it's a shame they couldn't try to just entertain us. From this point on I'll be watching a different show on a different network

December 15 2007 at 5:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Elvin Russell's comment
Scott

Don't let the stall door hit you on the way out, Elvin!

December 18 2007 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
edgore

"Is it really that easy for extraordinary bathroom behavior to be mistaken for cruising?'

Probably not. They changed the circumstances a lot from Craig's case. In the Craig case the Senator stood and stared at the person in the stall through the door crack several times before entering the next stall, then tapped his foot, waited for a response, then moved his foot over to touch the other persons foot, the he leaned over and ran his hand under the divider and into the pother persons stall several times.

Quite a bit different.

However, Alan's argument holds up just as well for the Craig case - there isn't any law against two people of whatever preference jointly using signals to set up a assignation. There is no proof that Craig was going to commit a sex act in the bathroom, as opposed to suggesting they go somewhere else. I am also certain that if the undercover officer had not repeatedly responded to the signals that Craig would have stopped after the first set of tapping, so the whole "there could be children in the bathroom" argument is completely without merit.

Craig is still a douche bag, of course.

December 06 2007 at 12:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy

What, no "Other" option for favorite guest star? Steven Culp as the ADA who got to question Denny in the court room. His expressions at the absurdity of Denny's testimony and revelation that he is gay (oops Denny!) just added to the fun of Alan & Denny trying whatever means necessary to get Denny off.

December 05 2007 at 6:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RT

Always appreciate the Trek references and wish my cell phone would do that. Can't wait for a remark regarding the fact that Shatner's not in the Trek movie.

The two women who can't keep a secret regarding Lorraine (their characters are so weak I can't remember their names) add nothing to the show. Bring back Mark Valley & Julie Bowen.

Larroquette doesn't add anything to the show either.

December 05 2007 at 4:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

My husband and I love Boston Legal, we look forward to Tuesday night just to watch the show, it is our favorite show on TV. It has serious moments then it kicks you in the behind with something so funny.. our favorite thing to say if something isn't going right is "must be the mad cow"

December 05 2007 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malren

Nothing like having DEK ham-fisted attempts at shoving politics down my throat week after week after week. It's like he's trying to write an opera but instead it all comes out like the Sex Pistols. The man is a surgeon who does all his work with a chainsaw.

If my wife didn't watch this show while I was in the room I'd never see it again, no matter how much I love Shats & Spader.

December 05 2007 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Best episode of the season.

The tricorder part was great, Alan looking at the camera's and making fun of the fact Mitt Romney is an asshole was perfect. :)

And I love that virgin "gay" judge and all the jokes they made at him. Truly fun episode.

December 05 2007 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

Great to have BL back on last night. Terrific episode. Classic Boston Legal humor with a healthy dose of left-wing red meat. I ate the whole thing.

I particularly liked the Star Trek noise with Denny's cellphone. Brilliant reference.

December 05 2007 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CeCe

I thought the mystery would be that Lorainne went thru a sex change operation. She has always seemed "post op" to me.

December 05 2007 at 9:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply