August 22, 2014

ABC hopes not to Wipeout with new reality competition

by Jason Hughes, posted Dec 7th 2007 9:44AM

Obstacle CourseEndemol USA has a pretty solid reality track record, with NBC's Deal or No Deal and 1 vs. 100, CBS's Big Brother and ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. And, according to The Hollywood Reporter, they are hoping to continue that streak into the new year with Wipeout. ABC has ordered a pilot for the competition in which 50 people must navigate through "the world's largest obstacle course" for a chance at $50,000.

While there aren't many details as of yet, I couldn't help but be reminded of G4's Ninja Warrior, in which contestants from the world over have to complete in four rounds of obstacle course. G4 brought it to American from Japan in 2007 where it has become a guilty pleasure addiction for way, way too many of us.

I have no idea if Wipeout will be anything like Ninja Warrior, but there is something always fascinating about obstacle courses (I always get a kick out of the good ones on Survivor). And "the world's largest obstacle course" sounds fun. I wonder if they'll leave it open, like an amusement park, so the rest of us slobs can try it out when the show is not taping. And will it change? If it's the same, people watching can study it, build their own and practice. Where can I find some land cheap? Do you think the Neverland Ranch is still on the market?

lovelain

my comment got cut off :(

anyway, i had a correction in there: ninja warrior has been on g4 since before 2007. i think it may have started in the summer of 2006? i know for sure that i've had a season pass to it for @ least a year and a half.

December 10 2007 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lovelain

i immediately thought of sasuke (ninja warrior) too. i dunno if i'll watch or not, but i know it'll never live up to my love for sasuke....unless they make the contenstants 90% japanese...they'll never have the eye candy ninja warrior does.

plus, i can imagine the attitudes these people will have about winning. that's part of what's cool about nw...they're not competing against eachother, just the course. so they're humble, supportive of eachother, and VERY apologetic when they lose (well, those that are expected to actually make it anyway). it's half about the competition and half about the culture, for me.

i've never been able to see viking challenge (>_

December 10 2007 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mtbw

Wipeout sounds like it could have promise. I don't think any reality show can hold a candle to Reality Rejects, but that's just me. http://www.youtube.com/realityrejects

December 10 2007 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bad Mojo

That's the best thing about Ninja Warrior... They don;t tame it for anyone... that's hardcore for the All-stars or the hokey comedian or squid guy alike... no punches pulled.

I can only imagine an American version to be totally tamed down and simple. Plus they'll have to make it "safe" to avoid any injury or discrimination lawsuits.

I'm not too excited about it... although American Gladiators is coming back to go along with it.. so who knows what other goodies the writers strike will bring us :P

December 07 2007 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Usama

I don't really like much of the shows on G4, I don't even watch during the Heroes marathon. However, Ninja Warrior is definitely a guilty pleasure. I love that show and I would much rather they bring that show to prime time than create this bastardize version of it. Yes I know, I haven't seen the show yet, who am I to say what it would be like? I don't care, I am not going to watch out of principle.

Remember Double Dare? Or Legends of the Hidden Temple? Or GUTS (not Global, the old school)? (Nickelodeon shows) or Gladiators? All of these shows at an obstacle course usually at the end of the show and I loved 'em.

Well considering most people don't have G4 I think there's a good chance this show will succeed.

December 07 2007 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Usama's comment
Randall

Most people don't have G4? Isn't it on basic cable?

It could be a cool idea nonetheless. I prefer the Viking Challenge on ESPN more though. Nobodies ever even finished that one.

December 07 2007 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply