Samantha Who?: The Break Up
by Isabelle Carreau, posted Dec 10th 2007 11:17PM
(S01E09) "Without you, I would be nothing." - Sam to Regina
"You wouldn't be nothing; you'd just be less." - Regina
This week's episode was important in Samantha's life: she slept with a man (thus ending her "virgin" status), she learned to express her feelings and said "I love you," she suffered her first post-accident break up and she learned to be a better boss.
Put yourself back in the shoes you were wearing during your first official relationship. How did you act? What were your insecurities? Did you want to take it slow or fast? When did you say I love you? Even though Samantha remembers (or was told) a few things from her relationship with Todd, her relationship with Kevin is like the first relationship... ever. Your answers to the questions I listed at the beginning of this paragraph probably happened in "The Break Up" in one form or another (either Sam did exactly what you did or did the opposite because she was too eager).
Samantha was blinded by love. She wanted her first relationship to be at the same level of Todd's relationship with his girlfriend. But Sam, now being inexperienced in this area, couldn't foresee the repercussions of her actions and words before it was too late. After two weeks of dating, asking for a drawer and choosing a mug is a risky move. Samantha now knows this and you can bet her next relationship will be slightly different (I'm not sure it'll be totally different because she still has a lot more to relearn about dating.)
For once, Andrea was the voice of reason. Being the one who dated the most men, Andrea has experience in both dating and rebounding from break ups. But what Samantha needed was to make her own mistakes and choices. That's how she learns. That's how she gets bits and pieces of her memory back.
Another big storyline for Sam this week was with her assistant, Tracy. Samantha finally noticed that Tracy was still afraid of her and that the Old Sam may get out. Sam tried to be a friendly boss but, in turn, was way too permissive. To our pleasure and Tracy's horror, Sam let Old Sam out for a few minutes in order to tell her assistant that enough was enough! For a split second, I thought that maybe Sam would let Old Sam win. But no, she quickly went back to Tracy's desk and added a bunch of thanks and pleases to her speech!
What Samantha learned about herself this week:
- Sam is not an alcoholic. She was sent to AA meetings by a judge.
- Sam was afraid to fly coach.
- She did worse things in front of the apartment building than screaming Todd's name.
- Sam learns that she never said "I love you" to Todd.
Other tidbits of interest:
- I noticed tonight that Tim Russ is playing Frank an awful lot like he played Tuvok on Star Trek: Voyager. Even if Frank can display emotions, he has mannerisms and lines similar to those Tuvok had.
- Regina offering to lend her daughter a bra and panties and hinting at how her sex life his was... well... let's say it's burned on my retina!
- Sam and Todd half admit that they agreed to be friends in order not to get hurt.
- "I love you. Then. Not now." - Sam to Todd
- "Your carpet should match your drapes." - Dena telling Sam that her panties should match her bra.
- "I'm confused about my role here." - Dena
|Amnesiac Sam||179 (82.1%)|
|Old Sam||39 (17.9%)|