October 30, 2014

OMGLists' eight worst sitcom character names ever

by Kristin Sample, posted Dec 11th 2007 2:02PM
Topanga--not the canyonOMGLists has listed the eight worst sitcom names ever on television. This list is a trip down memory lane. Some of the names are so embedded in our minds (probably because they come from such beloved shows) that until you read them in the context of this list, you probably didn't ever think of them as terrible names.

I don't want to spoil your fun and say too much about who's included on the list so I will only mention one character: Topanga from Boy Meets World. This name was a no brainer for me -- at least it would have been a few months ago before I moved to Los Angeles from New York. I didn't realize there was actually a place in L.A. called Topanga Canyon. I even thought of Boy Meets World when we went there for a hike.

I'll stop before I get too anecdotal but the point is that I thought the show made up a ridiculous name to go with the ridiculous character. Now, I know better so I flinched a bit when I saw her on the list. I was like, "Hey, she's named after that canyon here in Southern California. That's all." (By the way, I fully realize that her name was probably explained on the show but I either missed it or wasn't paying attention. It's probably the latter.)

Check out the list. It's good fun.

Jennifer

What, "Stosh Piznarski" didn't make the list? That one's a real stinker.

December 12 2007 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

Ahh...Danielle Fishel. Is it possible to ever have enough of her? I don't think so.

December 12 2007 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sitruc

Most internet lists are created by people who have deep-seated personal problems that deserve counseling. What's sad and scary is that this list was made by a team of people.
The names weren't chosen so everybody would go out and change their name or name their next kid Balki. Some of the names are bad names, but they fit the characters. Topanaga fit her character. [Insert Danielle Fishel weight loss joke here.] The same applies for Blossom and Six(I'd give her at least an eight after that King shoot). Is it fair to question surnames? Urkel may not be the greatest last name(it's no Sample), but what's wrong with Steve? By arguing Steve is a bad name, all television names are up for debate.
..and that completes the worst comment I have ever posted

December 11 2007 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
heyroll

I liked how Boner's dad's name turned out to be Sylvester....Sylvester Stabone.

December 11 2007 at 7:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I am a devoted Boy Meets World fan, and while I was aware her name probably came from Topanga Canyon in California, I can also tell you that they never once explained it's origins on the show.

Still though? Why is that a bad name? That name rocks. I have a friend who wants to name her first-born daughter Topanga.

December 11 2007 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jds65

It seemed more of a list of shows hated by the author than than a list of bad names.

December 11 2007 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Anderson

Her parents were hippies. And yes, her name was taken from Topanga, California. A hippy hang out.

December 11 2007 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Secret Asian Man

Great...

Thanks for bringing back repressed childhood memories.

December 11 2007 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Can we stop the practice of linking to other sites for lists like this? My work filter allows TVsquad, but virtually nothing else. I always get a teaser of a great list but then end up frustrated because of the filter. Just cut and paste the list into the post, especially a short one like this.

December 11 2007 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dave's comment
Allen Mendelsohn

No offense Dave, but your sucky boss shouldn't spoil it for the rest of us. I like to see the original.

December 11 2007 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

That was a fun stroll down memory lane. "Head of the Class!" I loved that show!

December 11 2007 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply