November 27, 2014

Big shock of the day -- Chuck's Gomez is a gaming wonk

by Richard Keller, posted Dec 12th 2007 10:02AM

Joshua Gomez loves his games, and shows it on ChuckJoshua Gomez, Morgan on the NBC action-comedy Chuck, loves his video games. And, when I say 'loves' I really mean 'LOVES'. He's a man who can spout philosophically about the difference between Halo and Halo 2, and can spend 12 straight hours on the couch playing Xbox. Now, that's dedication! Especially since he never mentions anything about bathroom breaks.

So, being cast as a die hard gaming wonk on Chuck was probably the best thing that could have happened to him. That, and he was able to find a kindred gaming spirit in the show's star, Zach Levi. In an article at the gaming website Kotaku, Gomez talks about the game references that are liberally sprinkled throughout an episode. He mentions that many of those references are ad-libbed because the writers aren't actually gamers, themselves.

He also talks about the voice work that he has done for various video games (he comes from a commercial and voiceover background). Some of the games he has worked on are Final Fantasy, Call of Duty and Armored Core. He can also be heard in BioShock and the upcoming release of Turok by Disney Interactive. Apparently, Gomez's friends are more impressed with his voice gigs on these games than his Hollywood gigs. That's probably because there isn't a video game connected to the Hollywood gig. So, why bother?

joe canthrate

I'm also happy about the full-season order for Chuck. It's not the greatest thing on television, but it's far better than a lot of shows that have been on for years.

Light fun, and good at it. A agree with Discosis that it's good to see Ben Baldwin on a non-cancelled shot.

by joecanthrate

March 27 2009 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sheldon

Chuck is the best new show this fall, I don't know what you haters are talking about! It's awesome that it got a full season aswell!

December 13 2007 at 7:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Big shock of the day....or Bioshock of the day?

December 12 2007 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CaptainAmericaHatesHippies

Light fun, and good at it. A agree with Discosis that it's good to see Adam Baldwin on a non-cancelled shot.

December 12 2007 at 5:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Discosis

That's funny, to me Chuck has been consistently entertaining and often laugh-out-loud funny.

I'm glad it got a full season pickup.

(Nice to see Adam Baldwin in a show that doesn't get cancelled, too)

December 12 2007 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John D\'arc

it's a shame Chuck still sucks.

and somehow, it got a full season pickup. this is the same show that I heard all over the net, the very demographic it was trying to cater to, that the show sucked, the references were lame and that they were trying too hard to appeal to an unresponsive and unaccepting audience.

December 12 2007 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to John D\'arc's comment
Michael 8-)

Apparently you're reading all over a different Net than I am, then, John... Not saying it's a masterpiece or anything, but there's clearly many of us who are enjoying this nice, light show.

December 12 2007 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rex

I always enjoy the gaming jokes in Chuck. I laugh while my wife shakes her head and mutters "nerd" after I explain the joke.

December 12 2007 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply