July 25, 2014

Cane: The Perfect Son

by Kristin Sample, posted Dec 12th 2007 9:21AM
The Duque Family
(S01E12) Look at this picture. Why did they leave poor Rebecca out? Is it because the little harlot cheated on precious Jaime? I thought perhaps the picture was just supposed to be the groom's family but that doesn't explain why Ellis Samuels is there.

Okay, I'm sidetracking already. But, I'm finished now. Cane was very dramatic and action-packed tonight. At 9 p.m. we had a hurricane and at 10 p.m. we had a huge fire in the cane fields. The Duques just can't catch a break.

A few comments about the fire scene: First, why were the members of the Duque family manning the hoses to put out the fire? Does Florida not have any firefighters? They showed up after the fire was extinguished (or so it seemed). Second, (and I say this with the utmost sarcasm) thank goodness they saved the Chevy Silverado! That was a lame stunt by the way. I can't believe they played commercials about it. And finally (and I realize I'm out of order), how did Jaime not smell the smoke when he drove through the cane fields? Air conditioning can't cover up smoke like that.

So, let's just skip to the last twenty minutes of the episode because that was the best part. Before that, all kinds of typical Cane stuff happened. You knew that Joe Samuels would do something to ruin Jaime's big day. You knew Alex would involve Ramon and Santo and get paranoid about protecting his family again. You knew that Rebecca would confess her cheating ways to Jaime and if you've watched Cane since the beginning, you weren't surprised when Jaime took her back after the next commercial break.

However, I thought one of the best conversations on this show happened in the aftermath of the fire. Alex outed all the family's secrets and called Pancho out on burdening him with the family's blood feud. I love how all the secrets are out in the open now.

I can't believe that even Amalia didn't know about Samuels's involvement in Lucia's death. I guess I missed that. However, I can believe that Amalia would call for justice the way she did. It was her innocent baby daughter that was killed. I expected nothing less from her character.

Of course, Alex takes his marching orders and goes to kill Joe Samuels. But, someone obviously beat him to the punch as bullets flew through the windows and into Joe Samuels's chest. I, for one, am glad he is dead. I would much rather have Ellis as the main focus of the villainous Samuels family. And now she has a real good reason to hate the Duques herself. As far as she knows, Alex murdered her father in cold blood.

What did you think about Joe Samuels's drunken state? It's as if he knew he was going to die. He started drinking heavily earlier in the day and was sitting on the floor slurring his speech by the time Alex got there.

Do you think that Jaime should've taken Rebecca back?
Yes32 (28.3%)
No50 (44.2%)
Who cares31 (27.4%)

ifull34

Now that we see that it was actually Alex's gun from his safe which killed Samuels, I don't wonder if Ellis might have somehow gotten the safe number from Frank(with or without him knowing). It is obvious that Ellis has no more love for her father, and that he has gone way out of bounds in every direction. I wouldn't be surprised that Ellis framed Alex. There were scenes that showed she and Alex have a past, and she was cast aside by Alex. She has some pent up hatred for both characters. I can't see Frank doing it unless, she(Ellis) put him up to it. I also think that Branson(now dead) is gonna be Alex's ticket out of a murder conviction(with the help of a great lawywer).

December 19 2007 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CeCe

I really like this show and would hate it if CBS is dropping it. With that said, there is no CSI in the world that could pin Samuels murder on Alex. There would be no gun shot residue on his hands, the bullet wouldn't match the gun and the shots came thru the window so the distance and angle would be completely off.

December 18 2007 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cee-cee

The preview of next week doesn't make any sense. The bullets came from the window, wouldn't they be able to tell that Alex was not the one who kill Samuels? First, by the broken window! Second, the bullets won't match... which makes me think... hopefully he wasn't using the gun used to kill Quinones. And Alex's family basically told him to kill Samuels, so why would they even care if he did it or not?

December 13 2007 at 5:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cee-cee's comment
Joey Geraci

Hopefully that is just a completely misleading preview and not the sucky (series?) finale that it looks like.

The sound in this show has always been a little wonky; that gunshot was definitely way too muffled.

December 14 2007 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Ana,
Lucia was killed years before the series timeframe. Her story has been told through flashbacks in several episodes. Joe Samuels wanted some of Pancho Duque's land but couldn't convince Pancho to sell. He hired a couple of guys to kidnap Lucia and demand a ransom, knowing that Pancho would come to him and take the deal on the land in order to raise th money. Alex went along with Pancho to make the exchange but things went bad. Lucia was killed at some point (possibly before they even showed with the money) and Alex killed one of the two kidnappers. I think the guy was trying to kill Pancho at the time. Anyway, in gratitude for his actions on Pancho's behalf Alex was welcomed into the Duque family. He had previously been just another field worker. That's also why Pancho has trusted him so much to this day. Eventually Pancho learned the truth about Samuels' involvement and a feud was born. The rest of the Duque family was never told the truth about Lucia's death. That's mostly why Frank didn't understand Alex's refusal to do business with Samuels. The kidnapper who escaped showed up again in the series pilot. Samuels had again hired him to threaten the Duque family. Alex noticed him hanging around at a Little League game and later had him killed.
I've probably forgotten something, but I believe that's about all we know about Lucia through the first 10 episodes. I haven't gotten around to watching these last two yet...
Hope this helps!

December 13 2007 at 5:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ana Luiza

Hi guys, I've missed this last episode and I guess the one that mentioned Lucia as well, I didn't know about her (had no idea about other daughter) and especially her death. Based on what I read above, she was a baby daughter that was killed by Samuels? Of course I realize now that Lucia was Duque's daughter, but did the show have an episode telling her story? Anyway, I'm sorry but I'm confused -- and really curious -- about Lucia's story, how she died and when. If anyone has the patience and time to reply and help me out, I'll be so thankfull.

December 13 2007 at 4:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roger

What was the music on this episode, it sounded familer

December 12 2007 at 9:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Viv

I will take a not so wild guess and say Pancho killed Samuels. Hey he is dying anyway.

Can they stop flipping Frank already? One minute he says you don't have to kill samuels alone and the next minute he says alex is not my brother?

December 12 2007 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Viv's comment
Joey Geraci

Absolutely!

I can not believe he said that in the preview for next week! After everything they have been through, after offering to go with Alex to meet Samuels, why would he say that?! Even if they think he did it, they could certainly understand why, and why would they abandon him!

Anyways, great episode, and I hope the previews for next week are misleading.

December 14 2007 at 12:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply