September 2, 2014

New KITT car for Knight Rider movie unveiled

by Kristin Sample, posted Dec 12th 2007 4:31PM
banner
Today I went to NBC studios for the unveiling of the new KITT (Knight Industries Three Thousand) for the upcoming two-hour television movie Knight Rider set to air on February 17 at 9 p.m. ET. This modern-day sequel to the iconic 1980's show stars Justin Bruening (Cold Case), Deanna Russo (The Young and the Restless), Sydney Tamiia Poitier (Veronica Mars), and Bruce Davison (Breach). Will Arnett (Arrested Development) will play the voice of KITT. And don't worry, the Hoff will make a guest appearance as Michael Knight.

So, the whole point of the new Knight Rider movie is that KITT is the coolest car ever created and people will do anything to get their hands on it. The car has a supercomputer capable of hacking other computer systems, weapons, and it's body can shapeshift and change colors thanks to nanotechnology (and the magic of television). Plus, the car has artificial intelligence so it is the ultimate crime-fighting machine.

As I said, there were three cars at the event. They presented the KITT remote first. It is a driverless Ford Mustang Shelby GT500KR which can be remote-operated from up to a mile away.
KITT remote
KITT remote
The second car presented was the KITT Hero. It is the same make and model but it will play the part of the everyday car. They made a big deal about it having 540 horsepower too. I don't know much about cars so the information was lost on me. This car was driven by Justin Bruening and had the rest of the cast stuffed inside.
KITT Hero
The last car presented was the KITT Attack. This is a super high-speed version of the Hero car. The stuntman drove this car out and did some circles that made lots of smoke. The circles of smoke were slightly more impressive than the big announcement about the horsepower.
KITT Attack
KITT Attack
KITT Attack
After all the cars were presented, the cast got out of the KITT Hero car and stood as far away from the photographers as they could. Then the photographers yelled at them and made them come closer. Here's the cast from left to right: Justin Bruening, Deanna Russo, Bruce Davison, and Sydney Tamiia Poitier.
the cast of Knight Rider
This is Justin Bruening who plays Mike Tracer, the estranged son of original Knight Rider Michael Knight. He used to be an Abercrombie and Fitch model. Can you tell?
Justin BrueningJustin Bruening
Here's Deanna Russo who plays Sarah Graiman, the childhood friend and ex-girlfriend of Mike Tracer. She is also the daughter Charles Graiman who created KITT. She seeks out Mike's help when she receives word that her father is missing.
Deanna Russo
Here's Sydney Tamiia Poitier (yep, she's related to him). The youngest daughter of legendary screen actor Sydney Sidney Poitier, she plays Carrie Ruvai, the tough FBI agent who butts heads with Mike Tracer.
Sydney Tamiia Poitier
And finally here's Bruce Davison who plays Charles Graiman, the creator of KITT. He's spent most of his life trying to keep the blueprints for KITT out of the wrong hands. When he is attacked, KITT is sent to protect his daughter Sarah.
Bruce Davison
Sadly, there were no pictures allowed of the inside of the cars. Well, let me clarify that. I was allowed to photograph the remote car's inside (so that's what you see below) but the other cars were not open. When I asked I got a slightly confusing answer about how the cars will be commercially available after the movie has aired. So, I think that they used a separate little set-up to the shots with the inside of the car. I apologize that I don't have a more exciting picture for the interior of the car.
KITT remote interior
The new Knight Rider airs on Sunday February 17th at 9 p.m. ET. If nothing more compelling is on, I will definitely tune in. My reasons are these. First, Will Arnett is amazing and I'm interested to see what he does with the voice of KITT. Second, Bruce Davison will undoubtedly be great as the car's creator. He has done some awesome work in the past (i.e. X-Men, Breach, and The Crucible). What are you predictions for Knight Rider? Will you watch it?

ANN-MARIE

I HATE THE NEW K ITT. THE OLD KITT WAS BETTER. I NEVER GOING TO WATCH THE NEW SEASON EVER

March 12 2011 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
matt

Hi all
Im matt from the uk iv just watched the new film and yer it was good i think to enjoy a film like this you have to forget how much you enjoyed the 80's knight rider for 2 hours and just sit back and enjoy it is a good film the car is cool yer the voice is strange at first but u get used to it i think in reply to gpd's comment about the voice u cant tell me they coudnt use the old voice useing computers in this day and age but thats another argument but all in all the film was good but you think its better then the 80's version well ??? some will like it better some wont but in 2008 everybody is entitled to there own opinion

March 08 2008 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gpd

For anybody information, the late great William Daniel is dead. So tell me you nerds of the computerworld; how are they going to use Mr. Daniel voice for K.I.T.T? Secondly, the tv movie did very fine in the ratings (I say more than 90%). And finally; the new Knight Rider car looks and totally blows the door off the old car (but you might have to be a Ford man know that). NOTHING BEATS A FORD!!! Didn't your real parents teach you anything in life beside texting your brains away?

March 07 2008 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris

ok ppl i dont know what u all r talking a bout boycottin night rider..u shoud be happy that thay remade the show at all...and as the kitt car is consern...it dont matter what car it is ..night rider is in the harts of every one..i love the show no mater what ppl say about it...just keep doing it..there will always be ppl that put stuff down..id like to see them come up with the money and perduse the show..that way we can put them down

March 01 2008 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hardcore

hey can someone tell me wa happened to KITT??? the las i checked, KITT was this awesome trans-am, not an awesome gt500! dont get me wrong, i like elly, bu KITT aint KITT if its not a trans-am!

February 27 2008 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MIGUEL

I WANT TO PUT AN END TO ALL THE DEBATE. I'M A BIG FAN OF THE ORIGINAL SERIES SINCE I WAS TWELVE YEARS OLD ! I DRIVE A 650 HP TOYOTA CRESSIDA (the color is white) AND I WOULD SWEAR ON A PACK OF BIBLES THAT IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT MAKE AND SHAPE IT IS. AS LONG AS THE CAR HAS A TON OF HORSEPOWER IT'LL BE CRAZY BITCHIN' FAST ESPECIALLY IN BLACK !

February 24 2008 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
supersquaw

The car is ok. I grew up watching the show and have no problem with the new kitt being a mustang. barracade from the transformers is a mustang and he kicks supreme ass.

The problem is the voice!! WHAT THE HELL?!! Who the hell is this guy? he sounds like he should be doing voice overs for nature shows. If AIDS had a voice, it would be this guy. It's kind of like listening to Shaq talk.

February 19 2008 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Euclide

I just finished watching the new Knight Rider, and I am not impressed by any means whatsoever.

That was a complete waste of 2 hours for me. The only good thing was David showing up at the end.

As much as I love the new mustang, they should have kept kitt a pontiac.

Another, this new KITT was made to look to robotic, not to mention it had nothing over the original KITT.

KITT was fast, had more gadgetry then this ford kitt, and was not impressed with the color mode either to camouflage himself to silver, that simple stunk(copy of the tv show viper.

The only exciting part of this whole tv show was when the suv crashed into ford kitt.

Being a true knightrider, I give this show a minus 100, I was really disappointed that they didn't keep the original KITT, even in season 4, KITT had more balls then the ford kitt.

At the very least, they could have used this car for KITT.

February 18 2008 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Euclide's comment
Euclide

I tried to put a version of the KITT I have which is still a pontiac, and by far better then the ford kitt, I will not be watching any tv series they might be thinking about, sucks!

February 18 2008 at 12:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

@#16

I'm a fag. I drive a Ford. And I'll be watching Knight Rider tonight.

You wanna make out sometime?

February 17 2008 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jeff's comment
matt

wot was the film like Jeff ??

February 19 2008 at 3:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply