October 22, 2014

Pushing Daisies: Corpsicle

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Dec 12th 2007 11:02PM
Pushing Daisies
(S01E09) "There is an unpleasant chill in the air." - The Narrator

And we have arrived: this week's episode was the last completed-before-the-strike episode of ABC's Pushing Daisies. The quote I put under the picture may not have been the most important one said in the episode (the bombshell quote is a tad too shocking to put up front) but it does highlight the mood and tone of the episode: chilly. "Corpsicle" is not my favorite Pushing Daisies episode but it offered good reveals, some fantastic lines from Emerson and Olive, and it finally gave the aunts (at least one of them) a real purpose in the series.

Angels of Justice

Pushing DaisiesThe investigating trio was a duo this week (aka "The Angels of Justice"), and a not as productive as usual because Ned was feeling depressed. Anyhow, Emerson and Ned were able to catch that cold killer who perfected the art of making snowmen before she killed Steve "People are expandable" Kaiser (Murphy Brown's Grant Shaud back on TV!).

The case of the week was interesting because of the where the bodies turned up. I must admit I suspected Abner, then his mother, but never Madeline, the "Wish a Wish" wish-maker/giver. Fate fell upon her when she ended up being killed by the monkey and her heart was given to Abner. In the end, she did grant him his wish.

Chuck and Oscar

Pushing DaisiesThis was a dark episode for usually-lively Charlotte. The impact of Ned's revelation in the last episode put everything under a different light for her. After some reflecting, moping, thinking, telling the truth to a non-believing Olive, walking around, and hating Ned for a little while, Chuck let Ned back in her world. If I had been in her shoes during that cemetery scene, I would have probably made the same request to Ned. She was speaking with her heart and not her mind at that point. If Ned were to revive her father, a corpse would be coming back to life and not a full body like they have in the morgue. Plus, as Ned told her, she would have to watch him kill her father again, using his fickle finger of fate. If he had agreed to it, it would have opened a giant grave of worms literally and figuratively!

Chuck may have been right when she told Oscar that her hair didn't know anything. I suspect that he wasn't able to extract anything from the lock Chuck gave him. Animal and human hair must be telling different stories. He stalked her and Digby for a while and if he had found the answers himself, I'm pretty sure he would have been gloating and wouldn't have spilled the beans before Chuck had time to say hello. It was an interesting turn of events when Chuck decided to not reveal her secret to Oscar. I expected her to do so, especially since Oscar was set to stay for a long while on the show before the writers' strike happened (the words "series regular" were even mentioned at one point). What a better way to create a permanent spot for Oscar on the show then by telling him that Chuck is "alive again"? For sure, Oscar won't let the matter rest.

Emerson Cox Cod

Emerson had some very cool lines and speeches this week, including the "word vomit" one. The most surprising one was that he has a daughter! The stakeout reveal showed us a softer side of Emerson. It is a touchy subject and it looks like things between him and his daughter aren't stellar. It'll be interesting to see where this goes! Maybe the daughter could be involved in a case of the week? Maybe even as the deceased one so Emerson has to juggle with the idea of asking Ned to keep her alive even if it means someone else dying? Emerson wasn't fond of the idea of Chuck being undead and knows the problems it can cause, but would he change his tune if it meant a chance to make things right with his daughter?

Aunt Mother Lily

Pushing DaisiesAs you know if you have read my reviews so far, I was wondering what the aunts' purpose was within the show, especially as series regulars. Well, that jaw-dropping revelation at the end of this week's episode gave a new spin on the aunts and definitely gave them purpose. I would have never expected Lily to be Chuck's mother. Then again, maybe it was the mood-enhanced pie talking and not the truth coming out. Maybe Lily elected herself "Chuck's mother" when the latter went away/died/whatever? Or maybe she is indeed Chuck's real mother. I wonder if the writers thought of this twist when writing "Corpsicle" or if it was always planned because I don't recall Lily acting much as a mother. Even if she was fond of Chuck, we never really saw Lily show true love, or have a mother-loving stare, etc. Nonetheless, it's a nice cliffhanger for a (mid-)season finale.

Other tidbits of interest:
  • How cute was Olive when she was trying lie to Ned and then cover her lies when he told her that she uses questions to answer questions when she lies?
  • Tuques for the beehives!
  • "Happy Holidays. Here's your rent." - Emerson to the coroner
  • "I suspect you know a lot about death." - Oscar to Chuck
  • "There must be some Wish a Wish wish you wish for?" - Madeline
  • "Do I look like a damn Ouija board to you?" - Emerson
  • "We are giant enormous idiots." - Emerson

Is Lily really Chuck's mother?
Yes391 (90.3%)
No, it was the mood enhanced pie talking42 (9.7%)

Joanna

I've told everyone...sometimes sugary sweet show but some of the best dialogue ever!!!

Medical Examiner: "It seems a little light."
Emmerson: "You're stronger than you think."

I'm using that line for everything!

December 16 2007 at 11:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

I thought they were trying to paint Grant Shaud's character as the murderer. He was upset at the guys for denying the kid a new heart, he learned that life is expendable, and he was stamping "denied" on those papers just like the baseball bat was stamping kindness on people's foreheads.

December 14 2007 at 11:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TornAsunder

Did anyone else find the Christmas music playing consistently throughout the entire episode highly amusing and cute?

December 13 2007 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I thought this was a superior episode, with more laugh-out-loud lines and moments than usual. Chi McBride was ON FIRE this week, showing both his comic and dramatic chops. And there was a terrific balance of the dark and the whimsical.

I support the writers strike unequivocally, but I am heartbroken by the fallout, which means shows like this will go away indefinitely. I am loving this show so damn much. Quilted beehive cosies! Who thinks of that?? Damn.

December 13 2007 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fred

Oh I'm sure she's her real mother, what i'm unsure about is how I feel abut this. I have never really like the aunts, and I'm not sure i'll like what this new secret might lead to...

But either way, this was a great episode, with an always hilarious Emerson - which also let a big secret out, one I'm certainely more interested in.

Also, I might be alone there but I was a little disappointed (though i can understand what ut was done that way) that we did not get to see how Chuck did actually react, when he explained her the ways he had her father to die...

December 13 2007 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to fred's comment
Little Willy

I like the aunts but in small doses. I like them as a distraction from Ned and CHuck making gooey eyes at each other but can never consumate their relationship. I hope that with the revelation, the aunt and the mother wouldn't suddenly become overbearing

December 13 2007 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Little Willy

I think Lily is Chuck's real biological mother, and not some surrogate. I don't believe the writers are so twisted to use the last line as a cliffhanger and then have Lily later said, "Oh, I mean I'm only a surrogate." It will be too cheesy, even for a show like PD.

For those thinking PD will be cancelled, fear not. PD just got dominated for a Golden Globe for best comedy.

December 13 2007 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
summer

Tuques? They looked like Beehive cosies! ;)

December 13 2007 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to summer's comment
Isabelle Carreau

But in a fantasy world, I like to believe they were beehive tuques ;)

December 13 2007 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe stalin

With Silverman cancelling all the decent new shows (other than PD, which thankfully he can't cancel) I could care less about the writers strike. Theres plenty of DVDs to catch up on and maybe when they get back to work they'll be a few less commies in the group.

December 13 2007 at 9:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SHANNON

No laugh out loud moments?? What about when the cheese ball sprouted claws, winked at Lily, and scrambled away?? That was one of the funniest hallucinations I've ever seen!
I'm so bummed that this show is gone for the immediate future. It has been our weekly dose of sweetness, no herbal drug-muling necessary. On the bright side, if they decide to go back and show the episodes in re-runs, all my friends who have missed out on the show so far will get a chance to see it from the beginning. And we'll watch the whole 9 episodes all over again :-)

December 13 2007 at 7:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

My money's on Lily being Chuck's mother through surrogacy.

December 13 2007 at 5:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply