October 24, 2014

Moonlight: Sleeping Beauty

by Jen Creer, posted Dec 15th 2007 1:05AM
mick and assassin(S01E10) "I became human for you. Doesn't that count for anything?"-- Coraline

Awesome! This was a great episode. This show continues to up the ante and it gets better all the time. We finally got to know Josef a lot better. However, there is still enough mystery and intrigue left to keep me poised on the edge of my seat for the next episode. I only wish I knew when that would be.

Of course, this was the case with the most urgency for Mick yet: Find out who killed Josef Kostan. Mick's grief was so poignant and so great that I thought it was greatly affecting, even though I suspected Josef was still alive. It was absolutely great the very next moment when Beth and Mick walked into the apartment and Josef was sitting there asking them to find out who killed him. I adore him.

One of the best parts of this episode is that we still have no idea how Josef survived. It's almost like he is unkillable. I wonder if that is part of Josef's curse-- maybe he really can't die.

I love it when Mick goes all vampy. When he was fighting with the assassin, and he got stabbed, his complete transformation and shout of rage was great. I like seeing the hand-to-hand combat too-- but I would have liked to see Josef join in too. Of course, I didn't know Josef's secret at the time.

Did anybody else think that the locket in the safe might have been Coraline's? And is my memory really faulty, or did Mick go from calling her Coraline with a long "I" sound in previous episodes to Coraline, sounds like bean, in this episode?

Meanwhile, while Mick is chasing down a paid assassin, Coraline is recovering from Beth's attack in the hospital. It becomes increasingly obvious that she is still a vampire: Her wound starts to show signs of healing. Her temperature starts to drop, and then, of course, she is surprised to find that she wants to drink from the nurse who is treating her. She says something along the lines that this isn't supposed to be happening... Interesting. She tells Mick she became human for him-- do you think she believes that? Did someone trick her?

We still don't have any answers about whether Josef was in her apartment when Mick showed up there, in a prior episode, and threw a chair through her glass doors. I am starting to think that Josef sired her, though. And maybe Mick doesn't know it.

Just when I thought Josh had pretty much been quietly written off, he showed up again. I can't say I was happy to see him. Do we have to deal with Beth and Mick's exes forever? I guess technically Josh isn't Beth's ex yet, but he is about to be. He isn't stupid. I wish Beth had decided to go have her night in New York City with Mick, but I know she wasn't heading back to L.A. just to talk to Josh. She had to process the fact that when Josef (Charles Fitzgerald) turned Sara Whitley, something went terribly wrong. She is trapped in that limbo state forever.

Doesn't it seem like there is something that could be done? It's great to see a more vulnerable side of Josef -- it's a heartbreaking story. It also explains a lot about his current, vapid, playboy lifestyle. He will also have guilt and mourn the loss of his true love forever. You have to wonder if the guy does have a death wish for that reason. But if he dies, who will take care of Sara? He has to have people he can trust, change people so they won't notice she isn't aging (or have vampires care for her, maybe?).

Regardless, the fact is, if Mick wanted to turn Beth, they now know that he could lose her forever-- and she could lose herself. Did you catch the foreshadowing in this episode when Josef was playing poker with his fellow vamps? They were talking about being involved with mortals, and they said, "You can always change her." Interesting. Josef has to deal with little stabs to the heart like that all the time. And then, of course, he was staked-- his reaction to that was absolutely hilarious, too: "[He] staked me!" Josef has the best delivery on the show. I think all of the main vampires have been staked now-- the writers are going to have to think of something else to do to them soon.

Other nice touches: The vampires playing poker for vials of blood; the fact that Coraline and Sara are both the sleeping beauty of the title. Ironically, Coraline is trying to be human and Sara was trying to be a vampire ... There are some really nice connections occurring here.

Coraline is renegade now (again) and presumably a full vampire. Come to think of it, we don't know how she survived her "death" by fire either... What is it that she and Josef have in common? And if Josef did sire her, then do they have true immortality in common?

It might be awhile before we can find out.

Do you think Josef and Coraline are connected somehow by not dying in fire?
Yes200 (59.7%)
No135 (40.3%)

charlene frydberg

hi love mick st john and he is so hot and moonlight is a great show i watched angel and i find moonlight better i watch it every friday i hope it finds its way back on friday what a great show the acting is good i will watch that show so brind it back thanks
charlene

February 19 2008 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cj

CAN'T WAIT FOR FRIDAY DID EVERYONE SEE THAT THEY WON PEOPLES CHOICE AWARDS. 10MILLION VOTES WOW. SOMEONE LIKES THE SHOW. I'M SO GLAD MAYBE THEY'LL KEEP IT ON. GO MICK AND BETH LET'S GET SOME ROMANCE GOING.....

January 10 2008 at 2:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BClarke686

Maybe the show would get better ratings if they put it on more than once a week like they do some of the other shows. People really don't know what they are missing. Now is the time to do it with all the reruns on. The exposure should would not hurt. Love this show!!

January 06 2008 at 9:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Caro

I thought Sleeping Beauty was one of the best episodes yet. It had everything you could want in a tv show, drama, action, humor, romance and intrigue...all within one hour! I too believe that Beth is spooked by what happened to Sarah. She had a reality check bring her up short during her headlong fall into love with Mick. Dont' think she's ever considered a down-side even though Mick has warned her. I think Mick's abrupt change of heart of letting down the walls & loosening up for a night on the town had to do with Josef's "blessing" on his relationship with Beth. Mick had been cold & distant to Beth after staking Coraline, cold in the hospital and even colder at the bombed building..but his gried over losing Josef made him reach out to the only other person he could...Beth. All was forgiven in that moment in the hall. One of the very best parts was Vamped out Mick kicking butt! Loved the one-handed knock down when the guy stabbed him in the leg...followed by that ROAR! OMG! LOVED IT!

December 19 2007 at 11:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WhippetGirl

Hi Bruce,

Given Mick's anguish over being unwillingly turned into a vampire on his wedding night, the fact the Coraline knew of his interest in Beth, and her remark in "Fleur de Lis ", "you seem to like the human girls..." her attempt to become human to recapture Mick's attention makes sense. Hence "I turned human for you".

Coraline is unbalanced mentally and she has convinced herself that she can keep Mick be re-creating a human existence with him. Kidnapping a little girl with the intention of turning her so they can be a "family" forever? Finding a way to seem human both to appeal to Mick and throw him off balance? Worming her way into the same workplace as Beth?

I believe Coraline really thought that all she would have to do to get Mick back and forget about Beth is to be human again. They were "on and off" for 33 years and Mick always came back (until he supposedly killed her). Her
statements and incredulous facial expressions show that she is actually stunned that Mick doesn't want her. Sure, he's happy she's not dead so he can stop feeling guilty (and he did love her for a long time). However, he clearly showed her that he is not interested in getting back together. Remember the hotel kiss in "Fleur De Lis"? Mick was rather passive and he wiped his mouth afterward.

I feel sorry for Coraline. It's hard losing the man you love with such intensity.
Although I'd consider the look of horror on Mick's face when he saw the young Beth and realized what I intended might have been a clue that maybe we weren't going to renew our vows. And the small fact that he actually tried to kill me, could be a sign that maybe it's over. Anyway, I
hope this helps what the "I turned human for you" was all about.

December 17 2007 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tina Eccles

Great episode! Loved the window-touching moment. It seemed all if Mick's feelings were right there in that last scene. I do understand Beth leaving, she is not the type of person to just leave things hanging, she is scared though so she may be the one pulling away at this point. I am a HUGE Mick/Beth fan so hope that they don't make this too soap opery (what I mean by that is I don't want the will they-won't they to last too long, too many obstacles) Call me a romantic, JMO!

December 17 2007 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tina Eccles's comment
WhippetGirl

I agree T.Ecc

The hands touching through the window was very sweet and emotional. Beth needs some time to process everything that's happened in the last 48 hours. Plus, she had to run out on Josh before they could finish their talk. So, I guess given Beth's not-yet-ex and Mick's back again-ex, the "fun night on the town" had to wait. Still, don't know if I would have had the strength of character to turn Mick down. He was so sweet!

December 17 2007 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

P.S. Considering the father's desperation, his vampire knowledge & his borderline death state, I kinda wish they had gone back to tell him what really happened -

December 16 2007 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Anita's comment
WhippetGirl

Me too, Anita

I was thinking about that. It's a missing scene that should have been there.

December 17 2007 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

Jason Dohring is definitely developing as an actor in this role. While I previously saw Josh as bland, his raw emotion & desperation @ hanging onto woman who clearly loves another, won me over. But I hope Beth makes a choice after deliberately throwing Josh aside and then denying Mick's old time date. On the other hand, while she's totally evil, I love Mick's connection with Coraline. I also disliked Beth's jealously considering Josh's fading-yet continuing presence, & enjoyed Mick's 'she was my wife' rebuke -

December 16 2007 at 9:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mamadoe

I think Mick has always pronounced Coraline as "Cora-leen" with a short i. Of course, he was usually referring to her in the third person.

I think Beth is incredibly conflicted by all she has seen and the sight of Josef's comatose lover was a true shock to the system. She doesn't want to completely disconnect from Josh, because she cares about him, but she is so drawn to Mick. Josh is safe and Mick is, clearly, uncharted territory. I don't know why Mick was suddenly wanting to go on a date at the end, unless he saw hope where Beth saw failure.

I wonder why Josef wasn't able to turn Sara? I mean, he's an older vampire, and I am pretty sure Coraline must have turned him. I also noticed he didn't fight at all. There's a lot of back story there. At least Moonves says the show is coming back next year, since the chances of any more episodes after the 12 being aired are pretty slim with the strike.

They didn't show Mick checking Coraline's blood, which obviously is waiting for the next show. I wonder where she will pop up next. There is a lot of good conflict and unanswered questions and great opportunities for plot development with this show. I just wish it was a bit more consistent. It doesn't always seem to flow from week to week, things change out of nowhere. However, I love the chemistry between all the actors, I think it's a really good fit, and I really enjoy this show. I have a history of liking shows that get cancelled the first year, so I am glad this one is coming back.

December 16 2007 at 2:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evan

I like the show a lot, but am I the only one who finds it a bit odd that Josef never fights?

I mean sure, avoiding fights is probably a survival trait which helped keep him alive so long, but he's 400 years old, you'd think when people threatened him he'd have something besides 'go hide behind Mick'

December 15 2007 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Evan's comment
Prism

I think Josef not fighting is just part of his character. He doesn't like to get his hands dirty, and he's so wealthy that his minions usually do all his fighting for him. He finds it tedious and annoying whenever he has to do anything physical, like jumping up to the roof in "The Ringer." Did anyone else crack up when he asked Mick to just come down and let him in the front door? And then his frustrated look when he finally jumped up there himself was priceless!

As far as Coraline "becoming human" for Mick, I think it was just another manipulation tactic. Throughout history, she keeps coming up with grandiose plots to try to get Mick back (Beth's kidnapping is a case in point.) She knew that Mick would be drawn to her to find out her secret, and figured that would give her a chance to weave her little web around him again. Whether or not she was truly human or just temporarily human is still somewhat in question, but the fact remains that if she really cared about Mick, she would've shared her secret, and not just used it to try to lure him back. I think saying, "I became human for you..." was simultaneously a guilt trip, and avoidance of his question about how she did it. Convenient that she passed out right at that moment!

December 16 2007 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply