October 24, 2014

The Next Great American Band: Episode 9

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Dec 15th 2007 12:43AM
The Next Great American Band(S01E09) Doesn't it seem that The Next Great American Band just started a few weeks ago? I guess it was more like a few months ago, as we're into the season finale next week.

Did the voting get it right this week, leaving us talent in the remaining three bands who will vie for the title next week? Or did the teenyboppers and Vote For The Worst site rule the voting?

In case folks haven't seen the show, we'll talk about it after the jump.

Each band sang three songs tonight. The first one was a pick by one of the judges, the second was picked by the show, and the last song was the band's own favorite performance of the season. While the bands rotated for each pick selection, I'm once again listing this by band using the rotation order of bands as they appeared. Why? Well, um ... it consolidates it and makes for easier reading. Oh. Okay, I'll confess -- it's much easier for me to write it this way.

But, before I get into any of it, I wish to express my thanks to all of the folks who voted last week. You did it. You got it right. Although they're so darned adorable, the Light of Doom left us this week. A moment of silence, please.

Yay!

Er. I know. I'm a cruel person, aren't I? But, while I think that they have talent for their age, that's the problem. They're up against well-seasoned bands with so much more talent. They're kids trying to compete in an adult world and they just can't do it.

Onto the show ...

Denver and the Mile High Orchestra
Denver and the Mile High OrchestraI love to watch these guys perform and they didn't disappoint me tonight.

Sheila E. made the judge's choice song pick for them. She chose "September" by Earth, Wind and Fire. I can see why she picked it -- it's a bigger band kind of song which would give them a chance to work on a great arrangement.

John Rzeznik said the thought it was impressive, they're a great live act and do well with cover songs. He doesn't see an album, though. Sheila said she thought Earth, Wind and Fire would be proud of them. Dicko said something nasty about disco.

The show's pick for DMHO was "Vehicle" by the Ides of March. When I heard that, I thought it a perfect song choice. And, that it was! John declared it exciting and said when they play live they're full of energy. Sheila said it was powerful. Dicko thinks that Denver was sharp and engaging.

The band's own pick was an original song of theirs -- "The Way You Move Me." I think the song really shows off their talents. It's a strong song, great arrangements, and definitely a keeper. John said it was well-written and Denver really stays on top of the band and leads them. Sheila said they give others inspiration to play an instrument. Dicko said (complimentary, I think) that it sounded like an old standard. I think the judges like the band, but don't know how successful they'd be in selling their music. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but I feel a bit the same way. Live act, hands down ... they're great.

The Clark Brothers
Ashley Clark of The Clark BrothersI think I want an entire DVD of these guys performing. They're one of the most mesmerizing groups I've ever seen. I think some of the covers they do have an edge over their own material for the most part. But I think they get possessed by the music and it becomes some sort of magical one with them. Or something equally bizarre.

John picked "Change the World" as popularized by Eric Clapton for them. They didn't do it Clapton style. They made it a Clark Brothers song. John called it an original and unique interpretation. Sheila said they must keep being who they are and it was awesome. Dicko said they breathed fire into the performance. He added he's a cynical hack but they've made him a believer.

The show's pick for them was "Amazed" by Lonestar. The brothers showed once again that they can make a tender song exciting and touch emotions. John said it made him feel like a giddy little schoolgirl, it was beautiful, and they exuded confidence. Dicko thought it would have been a better song choice for Sixwire and likes the songs in which the brothers feed off Ashley's energy.

For their own choice, they picked "This Little Light of Mine/Faith, Faith, Faith." Oh. My. God. If you saw the performance, it was the epitome of being possessed by the music. I don't know how else to describe it. John said they were the most deserving of the win. Sheila said they made the light of God shine. Dicko called them magical. Yes, yes, and yes.

Sixwire
SixwireThese guys are indeed a quality band. They should be out there making music for the masses. Although I'm down for a Clark Brothers win, I'd be remiss if I were to totally dismiss Sixwire. For me they're like a modern day Doobie Brothers -- southern roots, but you can dance to it.

Dicko's picko for them (sorry, I couldn't resist) was "Reeling in the Years" by Steely Dan. He wanted to see how they did with the guitars and vocals in it. I think the guitar work was perfect, but I thought they missed a bit on the vocals at one point, then brought it all together. Since the judges didn't mention that, maybe it was just in my mind.

John said he's not a Steely Dan fan, but thought they were great. Sheila said they nailed both the vocals and the guitars (and drums, too). Dicko said they turned the judge into a fan.

The show's pick for them was "I'd Really Love to See You Tonight" by England Dan and John Ford Coley. An interesting choice, I'll say. Not one I would have thought of for them. John said it was well-done, but bordering a bit on smooth jazz. Sheila said their approach was great and it showed their acoustic abilities as well as their versatility. Dicko said they sounded like an old boy band who forgot to break up.

For their own song, they chose their original "Good to be Back." This is a strong and solid song. I think it really suits the band and you can tell they love performing it. John said it was impressive. Sheila said it was that song which clinched their spot in the top twelve. Dicko said it was their statement song and they're contenders.

So, that was it. I still think out of the three bands left, all very talented in their own right, the Clark Brothers are something very special. I guess I'll find out just how special on the finale next week!

And the winner is ...
Denver and the Mile High Orchestra58 (13.2%)
The Clark Brothers294 (66.8%)
Sixwire88 (20.0%)

dave

DMHO: great instrumentalists, an unconvincing and unentertaining vocalist. Sixwire: great musicians but lacking edge. They do spot-on covers though. The Clark Bros: for me, hands down the most interesting, creative, passionate, intense, listenable and watchable of the bunch. I don't usually go for gospel, country, or bluegrass but I'll buy Clark Bros tickets and cds if they're anything like their performances on this show.

December 19 2007 at 2:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

Sorry Senior Hike, have to disagree, the best band in the show has always been Denver's bunch. Six Wire is good too, Clark Bro's are passionate players, cant sing much, appeared a bit frantic on stage far to much to watch live. Sheila E did a great job, John had an adjenda against any band that was not comprised of electric guitars, his ignorance of true musicianship was sad to see. Dicko was blunt, often rude but fair... I hope Dever wins..

December 16 2007 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

After all the judges gave Light of Doom bad reviews last week, it was pretty obvious that Light of Doom was going home. I personally thought they had amazing talent...I mean, how many 12 year olds do you know who can play that well.?! So anyways, I was sad to see them leave and I probably won't be watching the NGAB. Or atleast until next season since pretty much everyone worth voting for is gone now. Stay together Light of Doom...don't give up on your love for music! Love you!

December 15 2007 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deeg

I picked Sixwire from the beginning, but I sure do like the Clark Brothers.[I can't wait to hear "their" first CD] Terrific, Terrific!!! I think that Denver and the MHO needs to strenthen up the lead singer. He needs to listen to Brooklyn Bridge or Chicago and strengthen his voice to bring himself up to the height that the band brings.The band is great but the lead singer just doesn't have enough to get it done. With him they are nothing more than maybe a Vegas Lounge act with him. Actually thought that Dot Dot Dot and Tre Bien were better bands. Light of Doom are about 5 years early...Stay together, you kids are going to hit the charts bigtime.

December 15 2007 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

Thank God LOD is gone.....the best band in the entire show are now here. America, you got it right. Have to disagree with you Senior Hike, The Clark Bro's are not the best band by any means.. they are the 3rd best band here. The lead singer has alot of passion, does not sing very well, appears a bit frantic at times.. Next best is Six Wire, here you have a group of "pro's", very tight, I would pay to see them. Denver and the Mile High Orchestra is the class of the competition. Denver Bierman was brilliant to bring his group, (which has at least 4 CD's out now, and has been traveling the USA for the past 9 years) to the Fox audience. America, go see them if you can. The show is fabulous!!, if you are a christian, the words of the songs will mean even more to you..Will they sell CD's?? they have been doing just that for the past 9 years. I imagine they will sell a few more now...The show has been fun to watch, Sheila E was outstanding. John seemed to have a negative view on any style other than electric guitar rock.. Dicko was blunt but fair most of the time. I hope Denver wins the event...

December 15 2007 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jeff's comment
Meg

I'm sorry but I really have to disagree with LOD being voted off. I think that the majority of people who are voting for the show are older (sorry if you are) and that the biggest part of the music industry focuses on CD and ticket sales to teens. If that's right then LOD's music style fits right in with the majority of the music today.No offense but country and big band aren't really up there in the types of music that that certain majority would actually want to listen to. And as a regard to their talent regardless of their age, it's absolutely amazing. The could be as big as Van Halen with a shot like that.

December 21 2007 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bev Borja

Show's almost over!! I know I won't be buyin any CDs from any of these bands. Hopefully, next season, Sheila E. will be replaced by someone famous like Celine Dion or Diana Ross! Dicki should be replaced by Carlos Santana, Chick Corea, or Deodato. John (GooGoo Dolls) should stay, he's so objective! Next season, NGAB needs judges that would entice us just to tune in to see them...that would be a bonus!!! Is Sheila E the owner of the show, not sure who she is?

December 15 2007 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Bev Borja's comment
Marci

Sheila E is a phenomenal drummer, playing for many of the greatest bands. Google her. She paved the way for many women to become professional drummers. She has always been positive & interested in helping others succeed in the music business. And she rocks. Why put someone down because you don't agree with their responses? That's why there are 3 judges.
Do you really think Celine Dion would take the time from her perfect little life to do a show like this? And exactly what qualifies Diana Ross?

December 17 2007 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bev

Well I wish to Thank,John,Sheila,& of course Dicko,for doing a great job of judging this show! This has been the best show All season in my book!! I enjoyed every minute of it.To John hope to see ya soon in Bflo.,as we all Love the Goo Goo Dolls ! Sheila your just a great person,I love your honesty,Dicko,what can I say but hope know one judges your personality,you can be brutal,but your still cool! What an amazing ending to the final week,I was so into sixwire to win,but now My heart and soul says America needs a band like the Clark BROS.!! I just think if they were to make a CD I'd buy it for sure!! Some one said it like it is Ashley when he sings can really make you feel the song, know matter which one it is! Well,Thank You everyone and may the Best Band WIN! Happy Holidays to everyone,My votes for the Clark Bros.! Great Season,Had a great time watching,looking forward to seeing the outcome!?Good Job to All that participated in this seasons show...

December 15 2007 at 8:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Senor Hike

I figured Sixwire to win from the outset. They have a ready made sound for country and will be contenders for CMA performers of the year within 2-3 years. The Clark Brothers are the best band in the competition hands down. I don't know if they will sell a ton of records, but i will buy one. Denver and the MHO having been robbing other deserving bands spots for about 6 weeks. They are a lounge act, period. Great horn section yes, but cheesy, cheesy, cheesy. They need to do corporate gigs or school reunions or the like. Almost unwatchable. It will be interesting to see if any of the other bands end up making it. A much better show than Idol, but next time let's see more covers of BANDS. Senor Hike

December 15 2007 at 4:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zazie

Wow--a complete recap plus commentary so soon after the show airs..that's impressive! (This is the first time I've been on this site.) It has been a truly fun and well-done competition, with the 12 bands chosen all being good and all being quite different from one another. Of the final three, it's really a matter of personal preference, not of talent. UNLESS, we consider commercial viability. And I'm no expert on that, as I listen to almost nothing contemporary. I'd walk a couple of miles to see any of the final three...but would I pay for a concert ticket or a CD? No *I* probably would not, but the question is, would the Great American Public pay?

December 15 2007 at 4:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply