October 24, 2014

New mystery announcer debuts on NBC Nightly News tonight

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 17th 2007 1:07PM

NBC Nightly NewsOK, this isn't exactly "Who Shot JR," but it does have people guessing.

NBC Nightly News will have a new announcer starting tonight (longtime announcer Howard Reig retired in 2005), and they're trying to make it a surprise. The only clues from the network is that it's a name we all know, and this person had "an extensive, award-winning theatrical career for nearly forty years." Some of the guesses from fans include James Earl Jones, Patrick Stewart, James Lipton, Morgan Freeman, and ... Tom Brokaw? Yes, he was great in A Streetcar Named Desire.

Some of those guesses are quite good. I severely doubt it's going to be Katie Couric, but if it is, that will be the single greatest thing to ever happen on television. I can picture James Earl Jones doing it. After all he did it for CNN for many years. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's going to be Gilbert Gottfried.

Connie Terwilliger

A lot of people wondered why a celebrity was selected - including a whole bunch of working voiceover talent.

For fun - members of the virtual voiceover community jumped at the chance to toss their "reads" into a completely unofficial audition process sponsored by Peter K. O'Connell. http://audioconnell.com/blog/?p=304

I was the only female voice in the top 3 vote getters. It was quite fun actually, to hear more than 60 different reads on the open (including the music bed). The hard part was selecting the three you liked the best!

Anyway, I'm stumping for a female to intro the National News - it's about time don't you think!?

Connie Terwilliger

January 18 2008 at 8:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
someaudioguy

I thought it was an interesting choice, but I will miss Howard Reig...

December 18 2007 at 12:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

Brian Williams also announced it at the end of the broadcast.

December 17 2007 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

Yeah, it's Michael Douglas, confirmed by Huff Po:

December 17 2007 at 8:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

Personally I like the voice CBS uses better - Walter Cronkite.

December 17 2007 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

MICHAEL DOUGLAS

December 17 2007 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
OneDamnGoal

It's Richard Dreyfuss. I remember Brian Williams gave a hint that it was an Oscar winner

December 17 2007 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin McGuirk

Sounded like Mathew Broderick to me.

December 17 2007 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

I think it was Richard Engel. I thought when he said it was a familiar voice, it was going to be Brokaw, but it is one of the British reporters of NBC.

December 17 2007 at 6:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jaerisk

I think it's the asian lady who takes face shots between news stories.

December 17 2007 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply