April 23, 2014

Journeyman: The Hanged Man

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Dec 18th 2007 2:01AM
Journeyman
(S01E12) "I need to get our life back tomorrow." - Dan

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll say it again: I can't believe Journeyman may get canceled when it's giving us fantastic episodes. After a nice Christmas-themed episode last week, we now move one step closer to what may end up being the series finale. NBC will air the last completed episode, aka episode 13, this Wednesday at 10 p.m.

"The Hanged Man" not only had Dan face off a major change in his present time after leaving 2007 technology in the past but he also learned what Livia and he share in common besides being travelers.

Caroline/Zack Vasser

JourneymanDan's decisions in the past had ripple effects in the present before but nothing similar to what occurred after he accidentally left behind the 2007 camera. When I first saw him put the camera in his pocket, I was sure he would forget it in the past but my hunch was that Katie hadn't erased all the sexy pictures and that someone would use them against her. A TV news reporter like herself wouldn't want a sex scandal on her hands, right? That turn of events would have surely changed the Vassers' present too. But what happened instead was much more than I bargained for. Not only did someone with the right resources got his/her hands on the camera and used it in a way that technology in 2007 is decades ahead from what it really is but said technology advancement ended up in the Vassers having a girl instead of a boy.

Dan was clearly torn in wanting to love Caroline and wanting to change the future back to what it was (aka Zack). What made things more difficult was the fact that the "new" Katie never knew Zack. Gretchen Egolf once again showed her acting skills after Dan told Katie that he would try to get their life back tomorrow. Her stare was so intense that it made me uncomfortable!

What an eye-opener for Katie when the psychic said that Dan was looking for Zack. Katie felt she wanted a boy but the psychic confirmed, without knowing it, that Katie and Dan did have a boy. I don't know how I would have reacted: keep this lifetime with Caroline, the child she knows, or go back to the real timeline with Zack, the child she was meant to have.

Livia

When we first meet Livia this week, she is wearing a sexy black outfit. It seems her travels made her be a woman ahead of her own time. As suspected last week, Livia's upcoming nuptials will more than likely be part of episode 13. It would make a good storyline if the case of the week in Wednesday's episode put her wedding in jeopardy.

Time traveling

Dan got major clues this week as to why he and Livia are traveling and the fact that Langley may be involved in it after all. Jack, who did some pretty good convincing to get a peek at Garrity's file, was able to gather names such as Neil Gaines (I think that's what Jack said) and grab a picture showing a very young Dan with Elliot Langley. The picture was taken by Frank; could that be confirming that Frank is involved in time-traveling too? However, if only people born on the same dates as Livia and Dan, could Frank be a traveler? No matter, he could still be involved in the organization. What Jack offered was good confirmation but nothing new for most viewers since we pretty much gathered that Langley knew more than he led on.

What was probably the biggest reveal time-traveling wise was that Livia and Dan were both born under mystical conditions that only occurred twice. So if there are other travelers out there, they must be born on the same day as those two.

With info in hand, Dan tried to confront Langley but the man, using all his acting strength, pretended not to know Dan. I highly doubt Langley was telling the truth. My guess is that after seeing the picture, Langley got scared and didn't want to have to explain himself right now. Maybe he needs to turn to The Powers That Be to get the permission to spill the beans to Dan?

Other tidbits of interest:
  • In case you were wondering, Annette was played by Melinda McGraw. She played well the spoiled sister who has an opinion on anything and everything.
  • How convenient that Sandra was blind in the present so she couldn't see that Dan hadn't aged since she first saw him?
  • "The reason I was in therapy at the age of four." - Katie before introducing her sister.
  • "Theresa is pregnant!" - Katie. "Did I cause that?" - Dan.

Some questions I hope get answered in the (series) finale:

• Why Dan and Livia travel? How are all the people they save come together in the end?
  • How do they travel?
  • Who is behind time-traveling (aka the puppet master)?
  • Is Frank a time-traveler or involved with the organization behind traveling?
  • When does traveling stop? Will they have to do it until they die?
Jack will...
stay with Theresa and raise the child.351 (68.7%)
ask Theresa to get an abortion.6 (1.2%)
break up with Theresa but help raise the child.142 (27.8%)
break up with Theresa and not help raise the child.12 (2.3%)

Brian

The really hurts, because this is a great show. This show is better than a lot of shows already on TV. The problem is that it is in a horrible time slot, but if NBC is concerned about selling commercials they should realize that most people have TIVO's and skip commericals anyways.

Also couldn't another network pick this show up

January 10 2008 at 5:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
frank

Bad move NBC!! Give this show a chance...it will work. I really hope another network picks up this show and shows NBC how big of a mistake they made!! incredible show....will miss it!!!!

December 19 2007 at 10:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
metz

I'm bummed but I should know better than to start watching any serialized show these days. Journeyman does a very nice job mixing self contained episodes in while furthering the mythology at the same time. At the same time they haven't ignored the character development. It's not really a sci-fi show but NBC sold it as such and that may be why enough people didn't give it a shot.
While I certainly hope it gets picked up by another network, I doubt it will happen. 1 hour shows are expensive to make and rarely get moved to a new network. No doubt it costs too much for either sci-fi or USA to justify adding it to their lineups.
Hopefully the talent behind it will at least get rewarded with future successes.

December 19 2007 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vito

Best episode yet.

December 19 2007 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

Simply put, this show is AWESOME! I loved how the technology changed everything and the way having the different technology changed his family. This is not a show that should be cancelled, it should be moved to Tuesday at 9PM and given a chance to shine. 10PM after Chuck and Heroes is just too much TV for one night. I can't compare this to Quantum Leap because it is so much better than that old show. While QL was basically all one-off episodes, this show is different. Every episode counts, every action has some kind of effect and is significant to the overall arc. I LOVED how it showed the result of leaving technology in the past, and I hope that the next season (I HOPE) explores those kinds of things more. Simply put, this is the best current TV Drama not called "Dexter".

December 19 2007 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Appleman

I love this show too, but what bothered me about this episode, and some others as well, is that a solution to the episode's problem is really dragged out. When Dan realized he had to get the camera back, he just stood there and let the kid have it. He has always been aggressive in the past, but now he does nothing. All he had to do was grab it and run. I found it very frustrating to watch. They needed to come up with better problems that stand in Dan's way. The head of security with a walkie-talkie and a stubborn teenager doesn't really cut it.

December 19 2007 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leslei

This has been the best show by far from NBC. I have always looked foward to Monday Nights. Now there is nothing for me to look forward to. Guess I have to go back to ABC and wait for LOST. NBC you guys need to reconsider Journeyman!

December 19 2007 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

I don't have much to comment except that I am enraged that this show is getting canned. I haven't been this entertained since Farscape. One of the best shows on tv and I'm furious. Way to go NBC, I hope your network bites it.

December 19 2007 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pokermuse

FYI, fellow Journeyman fans...

NBC's website says "Final Episode Tonight!" Emphasis on the word "Final."

December 19 2007 at 6:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Meesh

Thanks so much for the heads up about Wednesday. I would have been crushed had I missed it.

Of course I will be even more crushed if they end it. This is an awesome series, which I look forward to every week.

December 18 2007 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply