October 2, 2014

Monk and Psych are coming to NBC

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Dec 18th 2007 3:21PM
Many of us expected to see the names of a few cable series when the major networks released their updated winter schedules because not only would it help fill the void but also give those series a chance at getting a new audience. Sadly, it wasn't the case. However, NBC announced today that the upcoming seasons of USA Network's Psych and Monk would air on NBC in March.

New episodes of both series will first air, as usual, Fridays on USA Network starting in January, 11. Psych and Monk will then have the opportunity to expand their audience when each air their latest season on Sunday nights on NBC starting in March. Luckily, NBC decided to air both series in a block as it is done on USA. No exact NBC premiere date was given.

Monk stars Tony Shalhoub, who won many awards for his portayal of obsessive-compulsive detective Adrian Monk. Psych features James Roday who works as a police consultant in the series. He lets everyone think he is a psychic but in reality, he just has a fantastic sense of observation.

Oreo

Monk is an ABC show.

And this has been done a lot. NBC showed BSG on a Saturday, the ratings were terrible. ABC showed Kyle XY and the ratings were great, but for some reason they stopped. So this is nothing new.

December 19 2007 at 1:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

Wasn't Monk already on ABC for a while?

I'm not sure this is such a great idea. If you're a fan of the show, you've likely already caught it on USA. This is more for the casual TV watcher whom has never heard of the show, or never watches USA.

And it sets a weird precedent, that recycled cable shows can appear on network TV, when TV itself is becoming less and less interesting.

I seriously believe when the strikes ends, we're going to discover that viewership has dropped off yet again.

December 18 2007 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
segsig

I've seen a few episodes of Psych, there is no need to go back to the beginning.

December 18 2007 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

They will not start from the beginning because that would hurt the series' syndication values

December 18 2007 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

I suspect that they've got the same problems with airing the early episodes of these shows as they would have with airing say Stephen Hill episodes of "Law & Order," namely sales into syndication or to other media.

December 18 2007 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thaddeus Collins

This is awesome!! I definitely will check out Psych!! I wish that they would show from the pilot episode to the present. It's not like they have much more to show on air besides reality television shows!

December 18 2007 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Honestly do they really need to start from the beginning? They could just show the pilots of each and then whatever episodes they want.

December 18 2007 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eddie

Fantastic idea. Great shows, plus HD would be nice.

Also, I think I'd even support more reality (ewwww) than give another cent to those overpaid undeserving greedy good-for-nothing economically retarded writers.

December 18 2007 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Eddie's comment
Joey Geraci

If you replace "writers" with "producers" in that statement, I think a truer statement would have never been spoken.

December 18 2007 at 6:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eddie

I wonder what it feels like to know your own economic ignorance has ripped Christmas from the tiny hands of your own children?

Enjoy your cat food, losers. The rest of the working class and I will be out earning our living, to provide for ourselves and our families.

December 18 2007 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

I watched the pilot of Psych, and really liked it- but because it's on cable, I don't watch it...

No chance NBC would start at the beginning of the series?

December 18 2007 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anna

psych and burn notice are my favs on tv right now also monk is great. im deighted to see nbc pick them up. but people need to know from the beginning that hes a fake psychic or they may not get the whole premise of the show. i hope they both find success and a wider audience

December 18 2007 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply