September 2, 2014

WE to help fix up the Ugliest House on the Block

by Jason Hughes, posted Dec 18th 2007 2:01PM

Ugly HouseAs if there weren't enough remodeling/makeover shows on the air, and obviously there aren't, WE tv has just greenlit the latest. The Hollywood Reporter tells us Ugliest House on the Block involves neighbors and experts giving a four-day makeover to whichever house the neighbors consider to be the biggest eyesore. And, of course, the show promises "green" segments to show how to be more environmentally friendly with home decorating and design.

"Home decorating and design is a genre that has mass appeal for women," said Kim Martin, executive VP and GM at WE. So does the bad-boys-who-treat-women-like-crap genre, but I don't see WE tailoring a show for this segment of the female population. I'd say the all-men-are-evil-and-deserve-to-be-put-down-like-dogs genre, but Lifetime Movie Network seems to have the corner on that market.

Ugliest House was picked up for six episodes. Chris Leary (Fresh Gear) will host with home-improvement expert Leslie Segrete, from Trading Spaces, landscaper Michael "Red" Baron and James Lunday (In a Fix) rounding out the team.

I actually kind of like the idea, if I'm speculating correctly, that neighbors can nominator a really crappy looking house in the neighborhood for this makeover. It's hurting their real estate value, it's ugly to look at and usually whoever let it get that bad isn't inclined to do anything about it themselves. Of course, sometimes they're drunken jackasses, or slovenly pigs or angry shut-ins who don't want anyone on their property, much less redecorating their houses.

So do you think they look for willing participants, or it's like Frankenstein's monster, where the neighbors come on the house with pitchforks and torches and stage an intervention? Throw the homeowners in detox or rehab or The Biggest Loser and revamp their houses while they're gone. Hey, there's another show! Like While You Were Out, do While You Were in Rehab. And spotlight celebrities. Since most of them only spend three or four days in anyway, the time frame even fits.

Janet

My daughter was just telling me about your show, and I had to laught and say maybe I'll look it up on the net and write them. Here I am writing! I too have the ugliest house on my block. In my neighborhood all the houses are really nice and keep up, the neighbor beside me just got a complete make over, a NEW home for her and her son he lost both legs in Iraq and their old house had water damage while he was in rehab. They now have a beautiful 5 bedroom 3bath home beside me. I on the other hand have this tiny little 631 sq ft house that needs a new paint job(Paint is peeling bad) Landscaping is a total mess mud everywhere, some from all the over grown trees, some from the contracters working next door. My little place looks so out of place....But as a single person this is what I could afford, I have the greatest neighbors, expecially my hero soldier next door. So someday I just might win the lottery and fix my little home up.........Janet

February 23 2008 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cindy hall

i watch your show and the things that you do to change a house.........i wish i seen this show when i own my other house............but now my son alvin has a house at 2416 sumac st......augusta, ga........he gets out of the navy june 2008........the house needs alot of work....it has no heat and no air.........and the water is nasty that comes out...........and he has a 5 month old baby........he only own the house for about 3 years.......and he wants to borrow 50,000 on the house to fix it up to sell it...........but then he will owe 110,000 on the house and the house is not worth 65,000....he house has been broken into 6 or 7 times he has lost 2 big screen tv's and a couple of game systems and a couch and dvd's..........and alot of other things............but the house inside looks really bad and i don't think that no works has been done on this house in years...........and the neighbors use their front yard as a drive way.........is there anyway you can help him.........his caring mother.........cindy

February 08 2008 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanne

I was wondering how do you go about getting on the ugliest house show, because, my house just isn't ugly it is falling down around me. I really don't have the money to fix it up, and I have been trying to save money, for it, and when I ask people to come look at it, just to see how much it would cost, they just set there making fun of me, and it really hurts, and I have just set and cried about it. I don't think I will ever get this house fixed, because it really needs a lot of work. Thanks for listening.

January 25 2008 at 6:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dean

I want to know what Florida city these house re-makes ar e being done in and the name of the neighborhoods..I am looking to relocate to Florida and this show has really turned me on to moving there...anyone know?

January 20 2008 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley

I think it is so awesome that there are a lot of home remodeling shows! There are a lot of people out there who are in need and really appreciate it. I hope there are many more!

December 18 2007 at 9:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply