July 30, 2014

Boston Legal: Green Christmas

by Paul Goebel, posted Dec 19th 2007 9:41AM

Merry Christmas!(S04E10) "OK, Jerry, why are you under my desk" - Carl Sack

So as the show begins we see one of Boston Legal's causes of the week. The only saving grace of the environmental storyline is that this week, Crane, Poole & Schmidt are the bad guys. It's almost as if someone held up a mirror to the show and said, "you know, you guys aren't perfect." I just wish it hadn't felt like a leftover from NBC's green week.

Still, we had to have the "other side of the story" shoved down our throats. I've heard all the "data" that Katie was spewing from other sources and, frankly, I think it's crap. Anyone who thinks tap water is just as good as bottled water should move into my building and see how long the can stomach the sewage that comes out of the pipes. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Boston have an awesome mass transit system? Why would an environmentalist need a car in the first place?

In another office, Alan decides he's going to take on the banking industry. This must have been a hard decision For David E. Kelley cause we all know how much everybody loves banks, right? I mean, whenever I bounce a $10.00 check and force my bank to charge me more than three times the amount I just feel awful.

I hate to say it but when the details about the bank and the mortgages started rolling in, I tuned out. This week, I saw it coming. Much like everything else that is wrong with this company, it is the fault of George W. Bush and his gang. The sad part is that I don't disagree. Bush has made a mess of this country but who does Kelly think he's preaching to? I would imagine that the two circles representing Boston Legal fans and George W. Bush fans are very far apart in this Venn diagram.

Is it me or is Katie pouring on the British charm a little thick? In one speech, she managed to say, "winging", "nappy" and "bloody hell". It was like the BBC gave a show to the least interesting character on Rumpole of the Bailey.

I was disappointed that Carl decided to keep Lorraine on staff. I was really hoping this out-of-nowhere madam storyline was just a ham-fisted way of getting her off the show. However, my disappointment turned to laugh-out-loud joy when Carl and Jerry had their brief conversation. I watched the scene a few times and am convinced that John Larroquette is probably the most underrated TV comedian of his generation.

I've never been a fan of Christopher Rich but I have to admit that his character in this episode was a pleasure to watch. I love the TV lawyer who comes off as a witless, good ol' boy but is actually a total shark. Rich reminded me of an evil version of Matlock. I really hope they use him more often.

I don't know if it was the reaction they wanted but when the doctor told Denny, he would probably be dead before Alzheimer's set in, I laughed. I'm as sympathetic as the next guy but Denny has lived a life to be envied, not pitied. He's filthy rich, drinks the best scotch, smokes Cuban cigars on a daily basis, is a nationally known, unbeatable lawyer and has banged more women then you can shake a prosthetic leg at. If the downside is that he has to lose his dignity when he turns 80, I don't see the problem. If the balcony scene was any indication, I think Denny feels the same way.

For all Denny's nonsense, he was right about one thing. Christmas makes all the bad things go away. Case in point, the balcony scene more than made up for the drumbeating in this episode. I can't be the only one who thought that Alan and Denny were finally going to kiss.

If you could live the life of any character, who would it be?
Denny Crane67 (33.5%)
Alan Shore97 (48.5%)
Carl Sack6 (3.0%)
Shirley Schmidt30 (15.0%)

vverqcm

I loved the show but always do. I especially liked Denny's tirade at the beginning of the part where he finds out they are being sued. Is there a way to get those lines? I thought he summed up the global warming rebuttal quite well.

December 21 2007 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RC

My only complaint with the past two or three episodes are that everyone is an expert on whatever topic is being discussed and they can spout off statistics at the drop of a hat. I can understand in the courtroom doing your homework ahead of time but this week even the bank manager was getting into it throwing out all these lending statistics of the top of his head.

December 21 2007 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ken

I rather enjoyed the rare good sense in the "green" storyline. I did think that it was unlikely that the complainant would get very far claiming that the firm "wasn't green" but then making no attempt to define "green".

In any case, the reviewer is wrong to say that "Crane, Poole & Schmidt are the bad guys," unless we are to just assume that the "green" advocates are the good guys. I think the point was well made that "green" good intentions don't necessarily bring about intended results.

December 19 2007 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

I agree with the reviewer here, I thought Denny and Alan where finally gonna kiss ^_~. True, not the strongest episode in terms of plot...but still a bundle of fun :p.

December 19 2007 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott Tyler

Hey, its still one of the very best shows. Maybe this week wasn't its best. So much of it is so awesome, I find it easy to forgive a few less than perfect moments.

December 19 2007 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Oh, and I agree, my water is great. It's so great in the late 70s there was talk about bottling it!

Bottle water is the worst thing for the environment, but if you live in Florida, where the water taste like bleach, then you should get those huge 10 gallons of water because it's better than the little containers.

December 19 2007 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

In most places tap water is as good as bottled water; a lot of bottled water *is* tap water from places that have particularly good sources. Even Consumer Reports has said so, although I don't remember how long ago they last compared. Bottled water and massive vitamin overdosing are just two reasons Americans have the most expenisve urine in the world. Apparently, advertising does work. Remember to deoderize your cooch, ladies.

Damn! This is the second episode this month I missed because I didn't think a new episode would be on (and TV Squad didn't tell me--only that ABC had a new Duel). Und naturlich, Boston Legal is the one ABC show I watch that isn't available online. In ordinary years recently, most series don't have new episodes past the first week in December; with the writer's strike I would have expected even fewer new episodes, but it seems like more series had them even in the second and third week of December.

December 19 2007 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

I just wanted to pipe in and say, that line about Jerry WAS the best line of the episode.

December 19 2007 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lampbane

Sounds like you need to talk to the buildings department about your pipes - personally, my tap water is fantastic.

December 19 2007 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

We almost had all the characters in the episode this week, I think that is a first for the season.

December 19 2007 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply