November 23, 2014

Cane: Open and Shut

by Kristin Sample, posted Dec 19th 2007 7:19AM
cane
(S01E12) This was a great episode of Cane. For once, they didn't try to wrap up all the loose ends of a story in one episode. I hate when everything is resolved too quickly. Some of the situations are dramatic and serious and should be drawn out. The shot of Alex in the rain at the end was great and left me wondering how would he get himself out of this debacle. (Unfortunately, I didn't catch any scenes for next week so I'm not sure about the fate of Cane as it has been suffering in the ratings.)

Speaking of Alex, all the best episodes of the season have been when the odds were against him. Last night proved no different. He is such a clever strong-willed character so I really like seeing him get into sticky situations and then having to dig himself out.

So who do you think killed Joe Samuels? (By the way, this is very "who shot J.R.?" isn't it? I know. Cane is no Dallas but I think everyone who watches it is hoping for that same magic.)

After he gets out of custody (thanks to his new tough lawyer), Alex makes whole list of people it might be which basically included every character on the show. Even little Artie said he was glad Joe Samuels was dead. In my opinion, the top contenders are Ellis, Bronson, Frank, and Pancho. We know for sure that Alex didn't do it because we saw the shots come through the window.

If it was Bronson, it doesn't matter now because Ramon found him dead at the end of the episode. Plus, the guy's only motivation for killing Joe Samuels was that Samuels owed him money (and we're not talking millions). It seems to me that Bronson felt somewhat vindicated after he outed Samuels' plans to Alex before Jaime's wedding. He was such a secondary character anyway. I was surprised Alex even had him on his list.

Alex also investigated Frank last night. However, this investigation is not over. It just can't be. All he did was ask Frank if anyone had the combination to the safe and then he looked around on his boat. Alex may have found something on Frank's laptop but he didn't have enough time to do a thorough search.

That leaves Ellis. She certainly was disgusted with her father because of his involvement in the murder of Lucia. Joe also taunted her last episode about how she needed to take sides and she'd never be truly part of the Duque family. All that said, her killing her own father with Alex's gun still seems far-fetched. Pancho would be a more convincing murderer. He certainly has cause for vengeance.

So, aside from Alex spending most of the episode trying to find out who really killed Joe Samuels, he also resigned from the company. I, for one, was very surprised at this. It was unbelievable that Frank would actually get what he's been wanting for so long. Nestor Carbonell's expression was great during that scene. He was happy but it's as if he won by default. He didn't seem totally satisfied.

What do you think about Alex's decision to step down as CEO of Duque Rum? I think it's the best move for his character at this point. He was right about his relationship with Pancho. His father put him in charge but argued with every decision Alex tried to make. However, I didn't like Alex's saying that the company should be run by a Duque family member. It's as if he's admitting that he's not a real part of their family, a sentiment that is in complete opposition to what Alex has said about his family all along.

Did you think this was the best episode of Cane yet?
Yes.95 (53.7%)
No way.15 (8.5%)
It's up there but not the best.67 (37.9%)

J.B.

I don't see a lot of stuff about cane. If we would like to see it agian we must let them know.

February 26 2008 at 11:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J.B.

I'm with everyone else CBS couldn't and shoudn't CANCEL cane. We only started to get to know the family and there are a lot of ? too be answered and I think if cbs would give the show a full season I truly beleive the ratings will get a lot better!!!!

February 21 2008 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vicky

Please DON'T CANCEL "CANE"! My friends family and I love, love, love this show! Well written, extremely exciting, GREAT cast, and we talk about this show all the time and hope that the show will come back in the fall.
You have 3 CSI shows, one of them can go, too redundant........boring!!!

February 20 2008 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
connie

Please I implore CBS to not cancel the best show that has been seen in years.......
I love some Alex Vega and the family too.

February 12 2008 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

The other issue with Momma shooting him is that she basically told Alex to go do it for her. Why would she go and do it herself if she's already told him to do it for her? Its obvious she loves Alex as much as she does her naturally born children (just as his adopted father also does) and she believes he's stronger than Frank is and able to do the things Frank won't. So why would she be the killer? I think that everything points more strongly here to Frank or Ellis than to Momma.

Hopefully, we'll actually be able to find out - assuming the show gets picked up for more episodes!!!

January 08 2008 at 11:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
coltsrule25

Yes, momma would make sense EXCEPT for leaving Alex's gun at the scene, thus setting him up. She WOULDN'T do that! (Unless something happened and she inadvertently dropped the gun???)

Oh yeah, and Alex walking in the rain at the end, sexy as he**!!!! :-)

January 03 2008 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tj

This show is so great. so far I have gotten my entire family to watch the show and a few of my friends. I know if they put it on another season it will do good and i know i could convince ppl at work and school to watch it. I thinkk it is better then most of the shows on already and could stire up a big following if added another season. Cbs put Jericho back on after cancelling it b.c enuff ppl protested it so i suggest that everyone who wrote and reads this website who liked the show to start emailing cbs or start a petition and well get as many ppl online as we can to sign it. After all i know i would kill some1 to find out who shot joe samuels and how they set MR Vega up

January 01 2008 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JEN

I too think it's Rita Moreno's character. I mean if I found the creep to killed my baby - I would blow him away too. Then she probably figures her husband is on the way out so she doesnt care anymore about living. I LOVE THIS SHOW....please dont cancel it. Also loved the scene at the end with Alex walking in the rain slow motion..oh yeah, I had to replay that over and over.....mmmmmm
L0L

December 21 2007 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sherry

I think we need to consider momma for the shotting. She had the combination to the safe, she wanted justice, she loves Alex and even though she basically sent him to do the job, she may have thought better of it and went to "take matters into her own hands" to protect Alex.

If not momma, then Ellis....... maybe with Franks help to get the gun.

December 20 2007 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Totally agree about the GSR test. You just KNOW that the field agents from CSI: Miami would have done just that and yet they left that out, seemingly on purpose. Funny thing is, when Ramon found Bronson and called Alex he wisecrackingly said, "Hey, we're not CSI over here". That was a nice little nod to their sister show and it made me laugh when he said it.

I'm pretty upset at all the show cancellations this season and I hope that Cane doesn't suffer the same fate as several others I've been watching faithfully. I said the first week and have told several of my friends while describing the show to them that it feels like a network version of The Sopranos. Not quite as much violence, sex or language but just as much family drama as well as the undertones of criminal behavior. Truthfully, as much as I loved Tony and his crew, I've been drawn in hard to this lush and sensual world of sugar cane fields, latin music and rum. It is a rare show that balances all the details so well. I love all the principals on the show and they spend just about the right amount of time pursuing each story line. Frank looked guilty as SIN last night! And then who didn't absolutely LOVE Rita Moreno telling her adopted son to go out and seek justice for their family? Crap the casting is so good on this show that it almost sizzles when the families clash each week. It boggles my mind that the networks don't give these shows time to really develop a good strong following. What else are they going to put on in its place??? This week we may have seen the end of both Cane and Journeyman, just when they appear to really be hitting their stride.

Bring these two outstanding shows back!

December 20 2007 at 6:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply