July 29, 2014

The Dead Zone is dead

by Jason Hughes, posted Dec 19th 2007 2:37PM

The Dead ZoneIn the wake of reports that The 4400 had been axed, Ausiello over at TVGuide.com is reporting that The Dead Zone was struck a killing blow in that same swing. Two good shows gone just like that. And just before the holidays. Man, that's gotta suck. So it looks like just as Johnny Smith sees that he's still going to have to address that impending Armageddon, the series ends. I always thought the ratings were pretty good on these shows; were they starting to show their age? Losing viewers?

I hate it when a show is canceled between seasons like this, especially when they don't resolve everything in the Season/Series Finale. It leaves a bad taste in the mouths of viewers, and makes them more and more jaded to new shows. Why do you think the serialized drama glut of last season failed so miserably. Because everyone knew we'd never see the end of The Nine.

James

Shoot! I hope they will at least do a TV-movie to wrap the storyline up. Kill the series if you must, but give it a decent ending, would you please!

February 20 2008 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

This is pretty much what happens when you try to milk a cow too long. Eventually it dries out.
I haven't watched DZ for a few seasons now, and it sounds like it continued its downward slide while I wasn't tuning in. I got rather annoyed when they kept putting off a final, or at least meaningful battle with Stilson over the whole Armageddon thing. I know it was a matter of 'where do you do from there', but to wander around aimlessly avoiding the inevitable is not suitable alternative.

I tell anyone who listens tha the best show of the century (so far) was Firefly. I'm thinking now that one of the things that made it absolutely great was that it wasn't on the air long enough to start being bad. Can't say the same thing for Dead Zone. Good riddance.

Maybe somebody will come out with a show that has a 3-year plan and then shut it down. They may leave a lot of money on the table doing that, but it'll be better television.

December 20 2007 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kenji Meadu

Funk. That.

I have patiently watched each season, buying the DVD as soon as it became available. Thanks USA - won't make that mistake again.

December 19 2007 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

Dead Zone wasn't as good the last couple of seasons. I hear that the Network Execs wanted less on-going storylines and more issue-of-the-week stuff, which was usually not as entertaining.

As for your question as to why so many of the serials failed, I personally believe it's because there's too many people watching game shows and reality TV. If you were a TV exec and you could spend $100k an episode on something that would struggle for ratings (even if it was critically praised and/or a cult hit), or you could spend $5k a show on some crap that got ratings that would rival a slow SuperBowl ... which would you choose?

I hate reality TV, American Idol, Fill-in-the-blank With The Stars, etc. I'd sooner watch a Lifetime Movie of the Week marathon. And while I think there are a lot of us who love shows like Supernatural, Veronica Mars, The Shield, Jericho, etc. we just don't have the numbers to compete with the "unwashed masses" who happily lap up whatever junk the networks toss at them.

December 19 2007 at 10:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doug

This blows. Why don't they just cancel Monk,Law and Order, and Burn Notice. Throw on more women's golf and tennis and rename themselves Lifetime Sports Network. I thought all the smart people worked in cable television. I guess not

December 19 2007 at 9:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Stewart

I thought I'd be sad to see The Dead Zone go, but it seemed to be going in circles. More shows need to be like Lost, in that they have a planned and definitive end to the series. It makes for quality story-telling and would give the writers an idea of how to approach the series as a whole. When you don't know if you're going to get another season or not, it's hard to plan things like a series finale. I think The Dead Zone could have told its full story in four or five seasons, but it dragged on with no real end in sight, and now it's gone.

December 19 2007 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

VISA didn't have the money to give the show another season. But VISA would love you to use your VISA cards to buy Dead Zone on DVD and you will give VISA points for buying them!

December 19 2007 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

blame NBC

December 19 2007 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Well, the last season did suck.

I had heard that they were already planning on ending the show after season six (this was somewhere between seasons five and six that I heard this), and given how they started the season by ending the Stillson arc of destruction and set it up so Johnny and Sarah had the possibility of getting back together, I was all, "um, okay, I guess that's a good way to wrap it up."

But then by the end they pretty much "reset to zero" and went BACK to the Stillson thing and split J&S up again and now it's over? Argh.

December 19 2007 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TVblogger

Ok so USA has Burn Notice and wrestling now....And just when they were really starting to show that cable stations could make quality shows.

December 19 2007 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply