December 19, 2014

Who is The Associated Press Celebrity of the Year?

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 21st 2007 8:30AM

AP logoI bet you won't guess this.

In a year that saw news about everyone from Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan to Don Imus and Paris Hilton controlling the airwaves, newspaper editors and broadcast producers have chosen someone quite different for their annual "Celebrity of the Year" award (and it's a TV celebrity). The Pensacola News calls this person "a force of nature." This person beat out J.K. Rowling, Kanye West, and Kenny Chesney.

Read on for the answer...

ColbertIt's Stephen Colbert!

Colbert not only beat out Rowling, Chesney and West, he also soared ahead of Miley Cyrus. That's Hannah Montana! Colbert said in an e-mail: "[I'm] pleased that I was chosen over two great spinners of fantasy - J.K. Rowling and Al Gore. It is truly an honor to be named the Associated Press' Celebrity of the Year. Best of all, this makes me the official front-runner for next year's Drug-Fueled Downward Spiral of the year. P.S. Look for my baby bump this spring!"

Funny how people are talking about Colbert now the way they used to talk about Jon Stewart just a year or two ago. I had thought that Colbert had reached his peak with his speech at the White House Correspondent's Dinner last year, but 2007 saw him running for President, injuring his wrist on the show and incorporating that into his show's plot (with wristbands), appeared on Meet The Press, and even had an ice cream named after him.

Not bad.

Elizabeth

He's intelligent & hilarious...good choice.

January 10 2008 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

Stephen Colbert's fame is rising in a hilarious way... He's actually creating a cult of personality around himself!

December 21 2007 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Hurray for the Associated Press--this is an awesome Xmas present! I was so nervous when I clicked to see who the winner was; I was sure it was going to be someone I loathed. But what a pleasant surprise!

December 21 2007 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

It's not just that he was a "cool celebrity", but that he was actually influential. For a comedian to actually register on national polling for President of the United States only a week after he declared his intention (and most likely FAKE intention) on running for office is just ASTOUNDING. The fact that he did it from a perch on late-night basic cable is just unbelievable.

Jon Stewart is cool and all, but he doesn't have mascots or ice cream or bridges or baby eagles named after him!

December 21 2007 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sitruc

His body of work makes him a legitimate winner. Did I say that?

December 21 2007 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply