April 24, 2014

First gingerbread men, now ponies (actually, miniature horses) - VIDEO

by Richard Keller, posted Dec 22nd 2007 1:02PM

This Christmas pony is angrySo, we've already discussed the AT&T GoPhone commercial featuring Norm Macdonald and Steve Buscemi as gingerbread men. Now, let's talk about another one of my favorite holiday-themed cell phone commercials that I enjoy it so much because it sends a simple message to all of the little girls out in the world: never ask for a pony for Christmas.

In this ad for Verizon, which you will see after the jump, three teens (?) are talking about what they got for Christmas. Two of them received some stylish cell phones, and the third received a very angry, and hungry, pony (actually, according to some, it is a miniature horse) that seems to like to bite its owner. The reason this commercial tickles my fancy is that it the humor is so subtle. It moves in a conversational and natural manner that makes you want to see it every time it appears. Plus, it's one of those ads that makes you focus on the actors' faces because of the reactions they have to a pony eating the roof of a dog house.

My two favorite parts come at the end of the ad. The first is the reaction by the lead Verizon technician to the pony's aggressive manner. Besides his facial reactions you can actually see him take a step or two back in fear. My other favorite is the reaction of the pony owner's when one of her friends asks if the animal bites. Her answer of 'Yeah' is so quick. Plus, it's at that point you actually see two of her fingers are bandaged from a previous pony attack.

Tammy

I love this commercial because everytime anyone ask my niece about her phone she says "it's a chocolate but I like the newer version better." She's said this for over a year and still no new phone. hehehe I think of her everytime the girl says "you got the chocolate phone".

The timing is perfect on this commercial, especially the line about does it bite... yeah. Love it!

December 24 2007 at 11:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

This is a great commercial. Even my friend who normally skips all commercials with his DVR stopped to rewind and play this one, and was the first to tell us all about it.

And the bandage on her hand... didn't notice that until now. How funny!

December 24 2007 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eric f

the worst commercial ever is Beyonce for Direct TV. Am I the only on who thinks she looks like a fool doing stupid dance moves and talking about Direct TV features? Whose dumb idea was this? It's so embarrassed for her I have to look away.

December 24 2007 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
catpause

The pony's owner is acted by a young woman who plays a teen on my favorite soap opera, Guiding Light.

December 23 2007 at 9:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike holmes

just goes to show you that the writers are needed in hollywood and elsewere. with out them this humour wouldn't have made it to the airwaves.
i love the comercials, most comercials are mini movies. the same amount of thought and work go into them as big pictures. with less time and money too boot.

December 23 2007 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eric f

So true. It's one of the few commercials that evades skipping on my Tivo. The humor is perfect. I usually think Verizon commercials are lame.

December 23 2007 at 9:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

I guess I am the only one who is annoyed by Verizon commercials...

The last commercial I liked was the Fed-Ex one with Kevin Federline. Which reminds me - 5 weeks til superbowl...

December 22 2007 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C. Hernandez

I really liked this commercial the first several times I saw it, for all the reasons you mentioned, but after awhile I was just yelling at everyone to hurry up. "You...actually...got...a pony." Guess...you got...the...Venus." "It's...got a...touchscreen." It just drives me crazy and I'm always so happy to get to "4 gigs of music." and the final 'yeah," just because they're not talking soooo slow.

December 22 2007 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply