April 23, 2014

Dr. Phil says Lynne Spears is a great mother. No, really!

by Richard Keller, posted Dec 24th 2007 5:01PM

Dr. Phil says Lynne Spears is a dedicated mother...in a parallel universe!Dr. Phil McGraw has lost all credibility in my eyes. Not that he had a lot of credibility in my eyes to begin with, mind you -- I have never been a fan of his down-home, pop psychology. However, his latest statements really put the capper on the fact that he doesn't seem to know what he's talking about.

During a holiday party in Beverly Hills this past weekend, Dr. Phil told People magazine that Lynne Spears, mother to Britney and recently pregnant, 16-year-old Jamie Lynn, is a "great and dedicated mother". He admits that things aren't looking up for her right now (ya think?), but McGraw adds that the Spears matriarch has her feet firmly on the ground and that she is turning to her faith for strength in this situation. In fact, Lynne told her friend Dr. Phil that they are turning to prayer to get past this all. No offense, but she must be praying nearly 24 hours a day.

How can I put my opinion of Dr. Phil's statement into words that will not cause a hail of 'U R SO STUPID' messages to fill my inbox? Look, I could see the truth of this statement if it was said when Britney began going crazy, and if it was shown that Lynne Spears was doing her damnedest to keep her child in check. But, it has been YEARS and we have never seen Britney's mom do or say anything to help control her downward slide. Which, to me, totally invalidates McGraw's statement.

Don't you think that, seeing what was happening with her oldest daughter, she would have kept a closer eye on Jamie Lynn? If she had protected her younger daughter for as long as possible (and I'm not saying that Jamie wouldn't have eventually gotten pregnant anyway), then I could probably see some validity in Dr. Phil's statements. I just can't give her that credit right now. In fact, her credibility may be even lower than Dr. Phil's right now, since she was going to publish a book about her parenting techniques raising Britney and Jamie Lynn.

I think Phil and Lynne need to re-examine their strategy when it comes to these statements. Frankly, while the public may sympathize with the elder Spears' plight, they don't really support her.

Brank

Coincidentally, it appears that Dr. Phil's wife, Robin, and Lynn Spears share the same publisher (Thomas Nelson Publishing) for their scheduled to be soon released books. Could there be any reason for Dr. Phil to protect his wife's publisher? In any case, there could be an independence conflict and independence in appearance is just as important as independence in fact.

December 26 2007 at 7:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PJ

Sounds like Dr. Phil wants momma Spears to be a guest on his show....

December 25 2007 at 7:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

I believe in personal responsibility and all that and know that Brit is responsible for her current problems, but I'm sorry, I have a tough time believing that Lynn Spears is a good mother. She appears to be 0 for 2, not to mention the track record for child entertainers isn't very good to begin with and she knew it, but was blinded by the $

The only good thing is that her book on motherhood has been put on the back burner.

December 25 2007 at 12:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darren

That just proves what I've been saying all along - he is a QUACK and needs to get off of TV now - Quit wasting precious air waves with his total BS. All you have to do is look at what he has done with his family to know he doesn't know a thing and now this! Well I guess his family is screwed up, her family is screwed up, so I guess in his eyes she is a good mother and their family is totally OK.

December 24 2007 at 11:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

Kind of makes your own Mom look pretty good compared to this one.

December 24 2007 at 10:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Stewart

I think I could sum it up, as would Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons.

Worst. Mother. Ever.

December 24 2007 at 9:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BartmanDK

Your totaly right.. How can he say shes a good mother? She let her 16 year old girl move ind with her 21 year old boyfriend.. i think that says it all...

December 24 2007 at 6:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to BartmanDK's comment
mike

the rumors about his age were wrong he is only 2 years older then here but yah they should not of been living together

December 25 2007 at 2:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply