August 1, 2014

Changes to CourtTV and Noggin come 2008

by Richard Keller, posted Dec 26th 2007 5:28PM

Noggin and CourtTV go through some changes starting in the new yearWe are just a scant five days and handful of hours away until the calendar page turns over and we are in 2008. As usual, whenever a new year comes screaming and shouting out of womb of the old one changes abound. Nowhere does that seem more prevalent than in the world of television. Not only will we see a slew of mid-season premieres popping up as early as January 1st, but two cable networks will be changing as well.

The first change actually starts on New Year's Eve. That is when Noggin and The N become two separate cable networks. Both networks will expand to a 24-hour schedule of programming, with Noggin remaining commercial-free and on its current channel position. The N, which is home to the very popular Degrassi: The Next Generation will be relocated to another channel. You will want to speak to your local cable company about its new location before you go through withdrawal.

On New Year's Day, CourtTV will go away and become TruTV, with its focus less on trials and criminal investigations and more on the reality of everyday life. Well, everyday life if you are a tornado tracker or woman bounty hunter. New shows that will be premiering after the rebranding are Neighbors 911, in which a former Green Beret tries to resolve neighborly conflicts, and One False Move, which is about people whose jobs take them to the brink of disaster. The first episode will be all about Rosie O'Donnell's spokesperson. More information on these shows can be found at the new TruTV website.

Pete

Excellent news about Noggin - can we get JBMS at night now, please?

December 27 2007 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

Since the strike began I have been watching 1-2 hours of TV a week. I'm beginning not to miss it all.

December 27 2007 at 8:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darryl Cashio

Court TV going away?????!!!!!!
Man, that's one of my favorites. Saturday Night Solutions, Dominic Dunne, daily trial coverage. What will happen to all that programming? Really, enough reality TV already! FOX Reality, TLC, The Big Three Networks, American Idol, TMZ, Inside Edition, etc. etc. So all my courtroom exposure will be the idiotic cases on the TV judges menu. I protest! And what about "Smoking Gun" website. Will that still be around?

December 27 2007 at 2:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KIrsch

Im not a fan of Degrassi or have ever watched the N (i'm not Canadian) but I can tell you if their cable vo doesn't carry the N on it's new channel there will be alot of angry people out there.

December 26 2007 at 11:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevin

i'm hoping noggin brings back some of the stuff they used to play, like square one tv. i'd give anything to be able to watch that again!

December 26 2007 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MCW

I'll give Trutv a try. I love Cops, so if they can bring more stuff like that (NEW stuff), that'd be great. Anything to get that guy from "World's Wildest Police Chases" on TV more. He's funny :D

December 26 2007 at 9:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

I love when Court TV airs episodes of COPS from Pierce County, WA ... especially when they taser the idiot meth-addicts when they catch them.

as for the rest of their lineup ... I caught a few episodes of the show Speeders last time they aired ... I thought it was pretty funny to hear people's moronic excuses as to why they were driving too fast ... if nothing else it makes for good background noise

December 26 2007 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
downbeat

In my area The N is taking over the Nick Gas channel. I love Nick Gas, because I'm a huge fan of Nick's old game shows. I'm sad to see Nike Gas go.

December 26 2007 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

So will TruTV stop airing live courtroom trials?

December 26 2007 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chip Douglas

I am so sick of reality tv. I know it is supposed to be real stuff, but come on! The more crap producers put on TV, the less likely I am going to watch any of it. I can fill my precious few moments of spare time each day watching part of a movie or contributing to blogs like TV Squad. The longer producers hold out, the weaker their position will be.

December 26 2007 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply