September 20, 2014

The Best and Worst of 2007: Bob's list - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 3rd 2008 10:04AM

Mad Men

Wow, another year has gone by. I just started getting used to writing "2007" on my checks last week and here we are in 2008. Happy New Year everyone! And don't tase me, bro!

I think this was actually a really good year for television, even if it does look like it's going to a short season. I think the best of the year and the worst of the year really stand out. Here's my list below. I'm sure you have your own opinions.

Best

1. Mad Men (AMC): Simply put, there was no better drama this past season (sorry Sopranos). This isn't just "great television," it might just change what the networks might put on in the next few years. It drops us into a world (in this case, a top ad agency in 1960 New York City) in a way very few shows are able to do. It has a flawless cast, intelligent writing, and a jawdropping, orgasmic production design. With this, AMC might just become the new HBO (they passed on this show but put on John From Cincinnati - ahem). Great to see it get a second season and a bunch of Golden Globe/SAG Award nominations. (And here's why Jon Hamm deserves a Golden Globe and an Emmy.)

Even the opening credits are mesmerizing.

2. 30 Rock (NBC): So funny it almost hurts. Seriously, the writing on this show is just so uniformly great that this show has eclipsed The Office as my favorite comedy on TV right now. Alec Baldwin deserves a Lifetime Achievement Award for that therapy role-playing scene in the "Rosemary's Baby" episode alone. I love this show.

3. Heroes (NBC): Yeah, yeah, I know, people are saying that the show "isn't as good as the first season." I think that has to do more with the fact that the structure and stories aren't as fresh and "oh my God" as the first season (even if Tim Kring has apologized for the first part of the season). This show is still a ton of fun, and those last two episodes before the strike kicked in were classic Heroes. Think about it: even if you weren't thrilled with the first handful of eps, aren't you dying to know what happens next?

4. Burn Notice (USA): I'm a big fan of 80s action dramas that feature the lone hero going up against bad guys and helping the little guy. This reminds me of those classic shows. Jeffrey Donovan is great in the lead role, and any show that has Bruce Campbell in it is Must See TV (and it's on Thursdays too!).

5. Lost (ABC): This show got better as the season went along (goodbye Nikki and Paolo!), and that mind blowing final scene in the season-ender made up for the lame parts of the season (I even knew the ending and I was still shocked).

6. Chuck (NBC): Funny how many of my top shows of the year are on NBC, even though the network rarely cracks the top ten ratings with scripted shows. I honestly thought that viewers wouldn't be in the mood for a light adventure series with sci-fi/spy overtones, but they seem to like it. One of the most enjoyable shows on TV right now.

7. Countdown with Keith Olbermann (MSNBC): Somebody has to say the things he is saying. His "Special Comments" are musts for anyone who cares about what's going on nowadays. I wish he had more guests on that opposed his views, but his show is really getting to the heart of many important matters. It's also clever and funny.

8. Jericho being renewed: I'm kind of a cynical guy and I thought there wasn't going to be any way that this show would come back. Stuff like that just doesn't happen. Looks like it does.

9. Wimbledon Final - Federer vs. Nadal (NBC): Watching the MacGyver of tennis, Roger Federer, go up against the EverReady Battery of tennis, Rafael Nadal, was like watching sex between two people who are really good at sex. Only they're doing it on grass with rackets in their hands. I have no idea of that image makes any sense. I'm just saying that this match was truly exciting.

10. Ricky Gervais dissecting celebrity and fame on Extras.

11. Miss Teen USA contestant on maps! My favorite video of the year. No other comment is necessary. Take it away, Miss South Carolina!

Worst

1. The Insider, ET, Access Hollywood, TMZ, etc: Yes, these shows make my list every year, and they deserve to be on it every year. They're the cancer on the television landscape.

2. Dr. Phil: No explanation necessary.

3. John From Cincinnati (HBO): I was really looking forward to this show. It was from David Milch, it had a good cast, it featured surfing and mysterious happenings. Boy, did it suck. Yeah, the people who liked it will tell me that I just didn't understand it. Well, I don't think anyone did, and that includes the writers, directors, and cast.

4. Viva Laughlin (CBS): Suddenly, Cop Rock doesn't seem that bad.

5. Pirate Master (CBS): I think this was CBS' way to have an extra season of Survivor without having an extra season of Survivor. But it was really lame.

6. Marie Osmond: Mother of God, can she please go away? From her endless appearances on the tabloid shows and, well, every other news program on television, to her fainting (cough) spell on TV to her crying to her appearance on Larry King to selling dolls on QVC, this was the year we overdosed on the girl who's a little bit country. Who would have though Marie Osmond of all people would be one of the most talked about celebs of 2007?

7. Britney Spears dance on MTV: I know, leave Britney alone! Actually, this is probably the most normal thing she did all year, but it was still painful to watch.

8. Nancy Grace is now a parent. Yikes.

9. The writers strike: The only reason I didn't put it higher is because I'm still holding out hope that it will be resolved in time to save the season.

Farleyfarls

Hey Bob,

Whats up? waiting to hear from you. The people of Save JFC would like to hear from you

January 10 2008 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Farleyfarls

Wow Bob,
I hope this isn't your day job. So not only is John From Cincinnati senseless but I am delusional to think I understood this show. You are a joke of a critic. I understood this show from the opening theme song to the final episode clearly crammed in by HBO.
Ed O'neal should have won an Emmy for his performance.
Love, Peace, Forgiveness & spiritual growth is what this show was about but I guess that wasnt exciting enough for you. There are thousands of people trying to bring this show back at savejfc.net. I would tell you to get a different job, but what could be lower for a writer, maybe OBITS.

January 05 2008 at 6:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pete

Nice list. Especially with the whole TMZ, Access Hollywood ect. They are a cancer on TV as are the whole Web site gossip crap.

I also agree with Marie Osmond. GO AWAY PLEASE

January 04 2008 at 1:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad

No Wire or Dexter means bogus list. Nice try though.

January 03 2008 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe stalin

Holy sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
I was digging your list, I could agree with just about every word and THEN I got to

"Countdown with Keith Olbermann"

I checked to make sure this wasn't written by Keith Olbermann. It wasn't.
I checked to make sure it wasn't written by some deranged feminazi. Nope, no Hillary.
I re-read the first part. Still made sense.
I read the rest. A OK.
WTF!
This is your don't taze me bro moment of 2008. Sober up, find where your nuts have been stuffed and drink a beer.
Ok. Now that you are bordering on being a man again, watch Keith's show and realize that he is full of shit.

or

Just check into a mental health facility.

January 03 2008 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SHANNON

I would have added a little love for "The Riches". That show was continually funny, outrageous and tense. If Minnie Driver doesn't win some statue for her role, there is no justice.

January 03 2008 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

People, The Wire did not air in 2007, hence it doesn't make the list.

For me, The Sopranos is #1 when it comes to drama...the last season was definitely extremely high quality in terms of writing, directing and acting. I don't know how anyone can put that ahead of Heroes, which while enjoyable, is definitely enjoyable. Are you also saying Chuck is better than The Sopranos?

I have watched 10 episodes of Mad Men so far, and while I do think it's very good, I don't think it's as good as The Sopranos. I still have 3 more episodes to watch so let's see how the rest is.

January 03 2008 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Borat's comment
Borat

I meant "which while enjoyable, is definitely mediocre".

January 03 2008 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chip Douglas

Life was one of my favorites. Mad Men was definitely at the top. Everything that was on FX was quality as well. Damages, The Riches. These were fun and did get some nominations.

I am tired of reality tv especially with "Entertainment News" I agree, it is sensationalism.

January 03 2008 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

As a tennis fan I appreciate the inclusion of the men's Wimbledon final in your list. If Nadal hadn't hurt his foot I think he would have won it.

On the flip side, I flat out don't get Mad Men and all the hoopla over it. A fan posted online: "It's amazing how a show so little plot can be so addictive." That's my problem with it-there's not much storytelling there. I disliked the Sopranos for the same reason. Not surprisingly, a former Sopranos writer is manning Mad Men. In my opinion, Mad Men doesn't compare with either Big Love and Dexter, which are far more daring and psychologically complex series.

January 03 2008 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Nancy Grace is now a parent....

OF TWINS!