September 1, 2014

Weirdest kid show appearances

by Brad Trechak, posted Jan 5th 2008 11:23AM
ElmoSomeone out there has taken the time to compose a list of the weirdest celebrities to appear on a kid's show. The guests include Amy Sedaris, Quentin Tarantino, Larry David and George Carlin.

The common theme of the list is that actors who usually appear in adult shows or using adult humor are appearing on children's television where it is unlikely they will be recognized by the average viewer. Frankly, I doubt most kids recognize most celebrities when presented in front of them no matter what they've appeared in unless it's on The Disney Channel or Nickelodeon.

I think the point of appearing on these shows is greater visibility for the actor. That way, the kids might recognize them when they're older and discover comic gold like Strangers With Candy or Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Most of the instances in the list have the actors playing characters anyway. My guess is that their appearance on these shows is more for the benefit of any parent who might be watching alongside their kids. The parents can see these "notorious" celebrities on a kid's show and laugh at the irony.

[via Digg]

Emily

I was shocked the first time I saw George Carlin as Mr. Conductor in the Thomas the Tank Engine series, but the man is an excellent story teller.

January 07 2008 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

Celebrities that swear have kids too.

January 05 2008 at 10:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

It probably doesn't compare to those mentioned on this list, but my daughter watched "Christmas with Elmo" (or something like that) a couple of weeks ago and Jamie Foxx was on singing and dancing to this really wierd Christmas song. When I saw your headline it immediately made me think of that. Just strange.

January 05 2008 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kelsey

Larry David's appearance on Hannah Montana has got to be one of the worst celebrity cameos I have ever seen. The gag was that Hannah Montana and her friend could get a table at a fancy resturant while he couldn't. Cute, in a safe sitcom way.

However, they proceed to ruin the joke by having his daughter whine about how "Larry David of Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm" wasn't being seated. I know kiddie shows are not known for their suddelity but come on. Children aren't going to get it and parents who have to have the joke spelled out for them aren't going to laugh either.

Sigh. Rant over.

January 05 2008 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tristan

I Dont know who any of those guys are.

January 05 2008 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tristan's comment
ac

Amy Sedaris: did a show called Strangers with Candy. It also has Stephen Colbert as a teacher.

Quentin Tarrantino: Really famous director. He wrote and directed Pulp Fiction, Resaviour(sp?) Dogs, the 2 Kill Bill movies. All of his movies are violent and full of f-bombs. But they some great movies.

Larry David: He created Seinfield. You know that show thats often called the greatest comedy ever.

January 05 2008 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply