September 1, 2014

What's On Tonight: American Gladiators, The Simpsons, The Wire

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 6th 2008 4:02PM
  • 60 MinAt 7, ABC has a new America's Funniest Home Videos, followed by new episodes of Extreme Makeover, Desperate Housewives, and the premiere of Cashmere Mafia.
  • The CW has a new CW Now at 7.
  • NBC has a new, two hour Deal Or No Deal at 7 (with Corey Feldman and Debbie Gibson!), then the two hour premiere of American Gladiators.
  • At 7:30 (or after football), CBS has a new 60 Minutes, then new episodes of The Amazing Race, Cold Case, and Shark.
  • At 8, FOX has a new Simpsons then a new King of the Hill.
  • PBS has a new Nature at 8.
  • There's a new Life is Wild on The CW at 8.
  • At 9, HBO has the season premiere of The Wire.
  • At 9:30, FOX has a new American Dad.
  • At 10, Food Network has Mario Batali vs. Jamie Oliver in a new Iron Chef America, which is followed by the premiere of Oliver's new show Jamie At Home.
  • At 12:30am, Cartoon Network has a new Tim and Eric's Awesome Show, Great Job.

Check your local TV listings for more.

david

they did it... they ruined american gladiators... they had the perfect model in what people wanted (ninja warrior) but instead they decided to have 2 cheeseballs host it and run it into the ground. below is a list to what they would need to do to save the show.

1) dont take yourself soo seriously
2) the stars of this show should be the events and the gladiators
2b) if they are the stars than everyone else has to stop trying to be one. Having contestants with all the smooth one liners and no fear of the gladiators removes the "that could be me" feeling.
2c) If i hear the referee do the whole "contestant reaaaady, gladiator reaaaady" thing i am gonna lose it. Did they think this was going to turn into some type of "lets get ready to rumble thing"? If not why give that idiot so much airtime?
3) never, ever should a contestant cross a finish line and have a snappy one liner waiting
4) dont take yourself soo seriously
5) yeah everyone uses the cliffhanger commercial break trick now but i think its really got to stop. It doesnt make people stay on that channel, it makes people resent the show and know they are gonna do it to me again in 15 minutes so i am just gonna leave for good now.
6) hosts = losers, i know you all hate him but someone like dane cook would have been a much better idea here
7) did they do any type of research on what games were good and what games sucked? Gauntlet for instance is way too easy, as big and bad as the gladiators are anyone can run past just by pulling the zig-zag. What did they do to hang tough?? they shrunk it in size by at least 50% and shrunk it in coolness by 1000%.
8) just get to the damn point... ninja warrior is so great because it is nonstop action. As soon as one guy falls off a 20ft tower they have the next guy starting the race.
9) while watching the event with the contestants running over the bridge i started to wonder if this should be a gladiator contest. Imagine if everyone in the studio audience got a chance to run over that bridge and than gladiators got points for knocking you off, contestants got stupid, small, product placement prizes for making it across/fastest time.

January 07 2008 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Usama

I don't have HBO but you better believe I'll find a way to catch The Wire! And well I guess I'm going to look at the new American Gladiators because I have such fond memories as a kid.

January 06 2008 at 6:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Usama's comment
R

I hope they don't ruin American Gladiators. I saw a promo where during Assault, when someone hits the target, the gladiator gets launched into a giant pool.

Thanks for commenting on my blog.

January 06 2008 at 7:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Usama

Yeah, I just caught 2min of women's powerball and ... and .. the cheesy replays w/ the dramatic music, what the hell? And taking a step back they've obviously produced this like they do any reality show: making a story out of organic events. I don't remember much watching as a kid but I from what I remember the replays and everything else about the show (the commentary) made the event feel "live" even if it was taped. That is, if something went wrong the replays were being watched for the first time with no music playing over it (aside from the awesome theme, sometimes). I'm hoping this is just for the 2 hour season premiere and not standard game for the show. And did they interview people's family this much too? I don't remember that either. I mean, I guess it's nice to learn more about the contenders but honestly I'm not that interested aside from a short age, occupation and marital status or whatever.

This isn't the same AG.

Oh and just saw another spot for Knight Rider.

And hey your blog's spot on, I'll have to read more of it when I get time.

January 06 2008 at 9:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R

So much good TV on tonight...if only TiVo's came with triple tuners! I'm torn between recording the New American Gladiators or the old and now somewhat boring Amazing Race.

But I will definitely be watching The Wire:

January 06 2008 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to R's comment
MCW

Watch Amazing Race of course. Gladiators is hosted by "Hulk" Hogan, so you know it's gonna be terrible. I'll give it a shot, but why would you pass up an award-winning show like Amazing Race. It's not at all boring to me. Especially now that Kixen and Vynt are gone.

January 06 2008 at 8:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply