July 23, 2014

DISH Network adding another 100 HD channels

by Brad Trechak, posted Jan 7th 2008 1:10PM
Dish NetworkAccording to Engadget, the Dish Network is bumping up the number of HD channels it supports from 76 to 100 and expanding local service from 65 to 100 markets. Competition from DirecTV has apparently made the company fight for its title of "Top HD provider".

Of course, this is good news for the consumer who gets a larger selection as a result. That is assuming Dish Network doesn't justify an increase in price later as a result of this expansion.

I admit that I don't get the Dish Network or DirecTV. I'm stuck with cable because I'm not allowed to put a dish on the side of my condo building. However, given the ridiculous and ever-increasing price of cable television, I wish I could. I'm also still waiting on Verizon FiOS service. All these options are great, when they're actually available.

Monica

Here we are, years later and DISH Network still has more HD channels than anyone in the industry. As a DISH employee I also know that they are the only way to get the lowest prices and HD free for life. I have DISH and love it.

February 08 2011 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bert

Getting more HD channels is great, but getting a big price increase, without any new channels just after being a customer for 6 weeks sucks, like this links shows http://www.pogomono.com/dishnetwork.html.

March 06 2009 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy

I just upgraded my Dish satellitte to HD ,this was done with the intent of getting quite a few HD channels,well needless to say Charlie has screwed his Customers over by Dropping the VOOM channels,had I known this I would not have upgraded.Unfortunately I had to take back my big HD TV as unexpected family situation came up and I needed the 700 I forked out for the TV back (luckily I was still within the 15 day return period.)Anyway I downgraded my package to fit my needs for the summer ,I lost a few channels I like to watch like TRu TV,Discovery health,Nick ,TV land.But most of these networks are in reruns anyway.I will re-evalueate my family package after I get another Bigger (42 inch )HD TV in the fall.The package I have now is just The HD package(I have a 19 inch HD TV,i bought a while back and it is okay for now)Since I have 2 TVs hooked up to receiver I can even view the HD channnel(In non HD )on other TV ,and they are fine.In doing this I am saving 30 dollars a Month and at this time it really helps.Until Dishnetwork can bring back more HD channels I will stick with cheapest package..Also they dont tell you can can watch the HD channels on a Standard TV ,and yes they come in fine(depends on your Tv)but since all channels on Dish are digital ,they all come in good.Also if you do upgrade to HD and you have a HD TV make sure you buy the HDMI cable,Dish does not supply it.

June 08 2008 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ned

It is against FCC regulations to tell a condo owner they can't put up a satellite dish.

February 06 2008 at 11:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich C

They are both better & cheaper than cable. Both of their DVRs are bigger & better. I've got DiSHnetwork at home, we've got DirecTV and work. I much prefer DiSHnetwork (I like their remote better, and their onscreen guides react quicker). But if you want to get the NFL DirecTicket, then you'll need to go with DirecTV. Either way though, you're better off than with Comcast!

January 07 2008 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rich C's comment
Jeri

better and cheaper?

I was a Dish Network customer for 5 years (with the highest package they have, btw), and they didnt want to throw me an HD-DVR box for free, they wanted me to lease the damned thing for 200 dollars, and after that pay 10 dollars a month for HD programming.

I moved to Cablevision, and got IO Digital Cable with two HD-DVR's. They took the charges of a monthly DVR fee off my bill monthly, AND their HD is free. Plus, I get phone and Optimum Online for cheaper as well.

Screw Dish Network. It's only good for "New" customers. After that, they don't care to do anything for their best customers in good standing.

Get your facts straight.

January 08 2008 at 2:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Davy Fields

How does an increase in HD channels from 76 to 100 constitute a title of "adding another 100 HD channels"?

January 07 2008 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leon

Your headline -- "DISH Network adding another 100 HD channels" -- does not square with your lead --- "... the Dish Network is bumping up the number of HD channels it supports from 76 to 100."

January 07 2008 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to leon's comment
david

all of the cable companies try to confuse the consumer with inflated numbers and misleading info. When they are saying that dishnetwork is adding 100 additional most only get 26 (maybe 30/31) new. They get the next 75 channels from adding new local markets (nbc,cbs,abc,fox for columbus, ohio; nbc,cbs,abc,fox for bismark, north dakota; and so on).

Yould expect to hear that type of "propaganda" from dishnetwork itself but i expect more from someone who is writing an article for a blog like this. It doesnt take long to interpert data like this or to answer your own questions (if there would be a price increase, asnwered in the last line). laziness

dont mean to be killing you today brad... i just call em as i see em

January 07 2008 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan Olsen

Brad,

The FCC says HOA and Condo Boards to allow satellite dish's under one 1 meter to be allowed, regardless.

Ryan

January 07 2008 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ryan Olsen's comment
bayportbob

that is absolutely correct.... you cannot be prevented from installing a reasonable dish antenna....... if not on the building then on the ground with a cable running up to your condo...... i am a condo association president, we always allowed dish installs, but on the ground so as to not damage the roof or building's exterior.

January 07 2008 at 8:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad Trechak

I recognize that some people can't recognize sarcasm when it's written on the page, but the Blu-Ray comment (from the previous article about the XBox which has evidently continued its thread here) was done tongue-in-cheek.

January 07 2008 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Brad Trechak's comment
david

sure it was

January 07 2008 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
david

But brad, how is dishnetwork possibly going to do this without a built in hd dvd or blu ray player?

January 07 2008 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply