August 28, 2014

Food Network wants three more years of Alton Brown

by Kristin Sample, posted Jan 7th 2008 8:22PM
Alton Brown with his knivesThe Food Network is making headlines lately! They have not renewed Emeril Lagasse's nightly Live show and recently declined carrying Mario Batali's new series. So, who does the Food Network want? Apparently, they want Alton Brown who they just signed to a three year deal. Brown will continue to host Iron Chef America, continue to produce and host his show Good Eats, and he's getting a new show called Feasting on Waves (a follow-up to Feasting on Asphalt).

Why so much Alton? The Food Network is aggressively pushing for a younger audience. Bob Tuschman, Senior VP, said that their campaign is working citing that the average age of the network's audience dropped from 50 in 2003 to 46 in 2007. Wow, what a big drop! (Note the sarcasm.)

Now, I love the Food Network (mainly because I love food). But Alton Brown? I'm in my twenties so I think I fit into this "younger audience" the Food Network is trying to capture. Yet I rarely watch Alton Brown's shows. Good Eats is interesting because he explains a lot about the ingredients but the format is annoying and he comes off as creepy. But that's just me.

Joyce

I'm 78 year old female, & not cooking much anymore. But I love watching Alton Brown; his antics can be goofy, but he imparts useful, intelligent information. Feasting on Waves was excellent; he showed how other cultures live & he genuinely loved & appreciated them. Please keep giving us his shows.

October 02 2008 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DK

Alton Brown is the only thing I watch on the Food Network, and I love to cook.

He is the best because:
1) His recipes are accessible
2) He gives you the why - i.e. scientific reasons - behind the method
3) He delivers the basics, like how to shop, tips on buying tools, etc.
4) He is just damn fun to watch. He entertains and his background in film allows him to really keep it interesting.

May 29 2008 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DreamStalker

Anyone who says Alton is creepy is a friggin' moron with an IQ below 90.

Anyone who says ANY cooking show on Food Network even comes close to being as great as "Good Eats" doesn't have a brain.

I don't give a damn about age demographics.. I'm 23 and don't want to watch Rachel Ray give everyone salmonella and E-coli (she never washes her hands) or Emerill say BAM again.. or Jamie Oliver pretend he knows how to cook when we all know the British are known for worldwide oppression and NOT culinary ability.

Bottom line is.. the only reason to watch the Food Network now is Alton Brown.. he appeals to those of us with triple-digit IQs.. I know you idiots don't like admitting how dumb you really are.. but it's okay. The world needs you.. how else could we feel superior?

April 24 2008 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

I sure hope A.B. can afford some cosmetic surgery now. That warty-mole thing on his face grosses me out. Certainly not something you want to see before dinner.

April 13 2008 at 8:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barry Healey

I like AB he's my favorite FN host. He's sort of a friend of my brother in law. I haven't got to meet AB yet but would like to.
P.S. He's not creepy, my brother in law says he's a very nice guy, but I didn't have to have him tell me that you can tell just by watching is shows that he's a people person. TTFN AB

April 07 2008 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
charles

my goodness get rid of that fool. He is ugly and annoying, like Bobby Flay, Emeril, Anthony Bourdain,Guywhatever his name is.get rid of all of them no personality at all.

March 30 2008 at 11:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
charles

Alton Brown sucks

March 29 2008 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
charles

get rid of that no talented fool. He was an idiot in culinary school and he is still an idiot.

March 28 2008 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy LeGore

I'm very sad that Emeril Live was discontinued. LOVE his show! Do not like his show of Essence. Why don't you discontinue Anthony Bourdain? He is the most disgusting person to watch. Why would anyone want to watch someone eating a live cobra heart is beyond me!!!
I can just switch the channel when he is on.

March 24 2008 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Udics

Alton Brown, are you listening? Are you out there somewhere? I would like to suggest a theme for a show which I'm sure would interest just about anyone who eats. How do I get in touch? I don't want credit or anything - just info which I'm sure you'd provide in a coherent, logical, understandable, thorough and even clever way. Help me to get in touch!

February 21 2008 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply