August 30, 2014

Stump the King - Kyle Chandler

by Paul Goebel, posted Jan 7th 2008 11:20AM

Kyle ChandlerThis week's question was rather easy.

Judy writes...
"I'm trying to find about a tv show that was in the 1990s that was cancelled. It was about a guy living in the city. He would look at the newspaper. The newspaper told the future. He would see a disaster and then save the person. Do you know the name of this tv show?"

I'm sure most of you recognize that the show in question is Early Edition starring Kyle Chandler.

I was a huge fan of Early Edition and loved Kyle Chandler. Since then, I have always thought it was interesting that he has taken so many different types of acting roles.

On EE he was a good-hearted guy trying to do the right thing. On What About Joan he was a jerk with a soft side in love with a goofy girl and on The Lyon's Den he was an immoral douchebag.

Now it seems he has taken parts of all those characters for his role on Friday Night Lights. Just an observation.

Now for this week's question...

Which talk show host appeared as himself on Early Edition?

Jeff was the first one with the correct answer. Nice job, Jeff.

Joe

"I never understood why he didn't just flip to the sports page and then run to his bookie."

I can't seem to reply to you, but he did just that in the very first episode. However, the show seemingly subscribed to the Butterfly Effect. He won about 5-6 horse races in a row, rolling it over, and then bet it all on another one and lost everything, I believe. He also gave some money to his blind friend to get her a seeing-eye dog, but beyond that, he stayed clear just in case it was wrong.

January 08 2008 at 12:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

Amen Mandy!! That's what I first saw him in as well. And why the hell ain't that show on DVD already?!!

I, along with thousands (if not millions) of fans of that show have been begging and and pleading with ABC and TPTB to put that on DVD for years!! If I ever meet Klye in person that's my first question. I don't want an autograph or a picture. I want HOMEFRONT on DVD! :) *Thats* how good that show was.

January 07 2008 at 8:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JLM

I agree with Mandy, Homefront should be mentioned as the show won several awards in its short run!

I get a little depressed thinking about Homefront because it reminds me of another award winning drama around the same time - China Beach. A show which will probably never make it to DVD...(sigh)

January 07 2008 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teddy

Cody: Although his buddy Chuck was always trying to get him to use the paper for financial gain, Chandler's character thought it would be wrong. (Although the paper did indirectly lead to his having enough money to support himself, and eventually to his ownership of a bar.)

But then in one episode, we learned that there was another guy getting the next day's paper who used it to win money, which he spent on a squad of people who helped him stop bad things from happening.

January 07 2008 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

January 07 2008 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Cody's comment
Ronan

That would be because he has seen Back to the future 2.

January 07 2008 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mandy

I didn't know the answer, but I'm disappointed that Homefront wasn't mentioned. I loved that show, and that's where I first saw Kyle Chandler.

January 07 2008 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mandy's comment
sean

I remember him from Early Edition but I think most people will remember him as "Pink Mist" from the Grey's Anatomy 2 parter after the Super Bowl in 2006.

January 07 2008 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply