DirecTV PC tuner details
by Brad Linder, posted Jan 8th 2008 11:55AM
One of the biggest problems with building a PC-based personal video recorder is that it's kind of a hassle to record TV programs if you have a satellite dish. With analog cable, over the air HDTV, or even with unencrypted digital cable channels, all you have to do is plug a cord into your PC's TV tuner card and you're ready to start recording live TV. But with a satellite dish or most digital cable boxes, you need to set your computer close to your set top box and run an IR blaster cable to act as a virtual remote control, flipping channels on your box every time your PVR wants to record a new program.
If you've got cable, you can get around this by using the incredibly overpriced new CableCARD tuners that will let Windows Vista Media Center users turn their $1000 computers into $3000 HD PVRs. But there's still no way to record satellite TV directly to your PC. But it looks like that's about to change.
Earl Bonovich at the DBS Talk forums has managed to snag a couple of high resolution screenshots of an upcoming DirecTV PC tuner. DirecTV's been working with Microsoft to create a Windows Media Center capable tuner for a while now, but this is the first time I've seen any pictures. No word on pricing or availability.
I know the images above are kind of hard to read, so we've printed the text after the jump.
- Watch DirecTV rigth on your computer screen
- Use your computer as a DVR
- Simple setup and connection
- Enhanced user experience from PC computing power and Internet connection
- Thumbnails of recorded content
- Movie guides with movie jackets, cast & production info, reviews, etc.
- Powerful search functions
- Integrates all your digital content in one menu: DirecTV programming, plus your music, pictures, video, sports, and online media
- Can stream all your media to multiple TVs in the house (via Windows Media Center Extenders, other devices on the network that serve as proxies to Windows Media Center, such as an Xbox 360.)
- Remote control has all standard DirecTV functions for familiar ease of use
Using the DirecTV HDPC-20 is Easy:
Set it Up
Find a suitable place near your PC, plug it in, and connect to satellite dish
Make the Connection
There is just one easy connection to make: USB.
Start Windows Media Center, go to live TV, enjoy the show.