October 24, 2014

Good-bye to the Golden Globes gala

by Richard Keller, posted Jan 8th 2008 12:00AM

America Ferrera from last year's Golden Globes ceremonyWell, we all knew it was going to happen -- we were just waiting for the proverbial foot covering to plummet: the Golden Globes award ceremony has been canceled. No red carpet interviews, no pithy conversations between television and movie stars, no close-ups of actors or actresses laughing at jokes that really aren't that funny but seem totally hilarious after a few appletinis.

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association, along with NBC decided to scrap the ceremony after a boycott threat from representatives of the Screen Actors Guild. Rather than have an empty auditorium, all parties agreed to adopt another approach to the ceremony -- a extremely less glamorous one hour news conference where the award recipients will be named (to be aired at the same time the original show was to be broadcast).

People close to the awards show say the HFPA will forgo the typical network payment for the news conference (somewhere around $5 million). NBC will have exclusive electronic rights for the press conference and will be able to sell advertising for it. Seems like a win for NBC, in my opinion.

Tristan

IF NBC is still getting to benefit then there is really no loser except the writers in this situation?

January 08 2008 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

Well that sucks. Awards shows are fun. Since I have Tivo now I can skip through all the nonsense.

January 08 2008 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Horse N. Buggy

I don't understand the inconsistency here. The Critics Choice Awards were aired last night. You'd think that this isn't normally a big show, but almost all of the nominees were there. They even had George Clooney present a special award to Don Cheadle. In true Clooney fashion, he began his speech with a few sentences about how devastating this strike was to the whole economy of LA and called for them to settle it already. (I sincerely hope that he got Cheadle's approval to do that.)

The only big nominees to be missing were the writers. I don't get it. It doesn't seem to me like accepting an award is working. It seems like it is acknowledging the important role they play in the process. But I don't belong to any guild and don't understand the politics behind it.

I don't know if D.L. Hughley (the host) had anyone write his material or if he just free-styled the whole night. Either way, his poor performance was the best proof that we need writers! His jokes were not only unfunny, they were crude and mean-spirited. He just didn't have the charm or grace to pull off the jokes that were intended to poke fun but not tick off.

For example, it was a really big deal that Brad and Angelina were there - a lot of people made comments about her specifically. I think the uber-couple came to support Cheadle, though Angelina was nominated for her acting in the Marianne Pearl movie and Beowulf was nominated in the Animated category. One of Hughley 's jokes was something like: "Beowulf, the book nobody read became the movie nobody saw." It doesn't look that bad when I type it, but his delivery was so bad. I just thought his jokes were really disrespectful during this tense time.

I guess as I look back, there weren't a ton of big stars there. But this awards season, it seems like the "big names" are not the ones being nominated. As a result. the lesser-knowns, who are being nominated, are so grateful that they are showing up.

Anyway, I don't understand why that awards show was televised, but the GG won't be. Could it be because the Critics Choice Awards were on VH-1? Is it really that big of a deal that NBC is involved?

January 08 2008 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SadOldMan

Good bye to one of the hundreds of a** kissing, ego stoking wastes of time that infest our culture. Let's hope all the award shows go down the drain.

January 08 2008 at 8:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
segsig

The only reason a lack of award shows sucks is because it's a lost opportunity for Clothesoffourbacks to raise money for charities. Otherwise good riddance and finally something about this strike that hasn't been an advantage for nbc.

January 08 2008 at 8:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Man

This strike gets better every day.

I hate award shows and this is what I always wanted just a simple list of the winners. No teaming Martha Stewart and Busta Rhymes for some awkward banter.

Compiled with the introduction of digital TV this is great for true TV fans.

January 08 2008 at 3:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D Colin

Here's the thing. The Golden Globes doesn't have a host, so no big opening. They have the actors who present banter some, that's it. Oh they show clips (which we know the WGA have told the Oscars no clips).

My problem is why Letterman gets a deal and a one night show like the Golden Globes doesn't. Shows like the Globes, Oscars help people find out about movies they may never have heard about. Shows like the Globes let people have fun fantasy of "oh that's a pretty dress".

I want my Golden Globes, I want my Oscars. I know I'm selfish. But the producers need to come to the table. The WGA need to stop making "cute" videos. The stars need to stop acting like they don't make $200,000 an episode (or more) and millions for movies and act like they are just as in it as a lot of the WGA.

I can handle watching less TV -it's actually ok. But come on the Globes and Oscars are event nights -- they're fun for us little people of the world. And if you are letting Letterman and United Artists come to a interim deal then why not the Award shows.

Oh and this better get resolved cause I really worry about the soaps. They are really the oldest part of television. Ratings have suffered in years past and it's a industry that needs to be cherished -- no matter what you think of soaps they are a big part of the history of TV.

okay I hope this all gets resolved fair, cause I do feel bad for those out of work

January 08 2008 at 3:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to D Colin's comment
Bash

We currently have a rail strike here in germany affecting millions of commuters. Quit your whining. It's just an award show and the writers are striking for their food on the table in the coming years - TV will be all-digital in 10 years. It might be a problem for you that there are actually guilds out there who think ahead compared those at GM and Chrysler who got bent over. This will happen NOW and ONCE and then the table is set for the rest of the digital tv age. Deal with it.

January 08 2008 at 10:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nicolas.graf

Maybe Letterman and UA got deals because they actually agreed to the WGA's demands...?

January 08 2008 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

I hope this ends before the Oscars are cancelled, seeing as how I have a trip planned (and paid for) to L.A. specifically to cover them!

January 08 2008 at 2:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sanna

Is the Acacdemy Awards also in danger?

January 08 2008 at 2:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

This is a win for nobody. This needs to end now.

January 08 2008 at 1:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply