July 31, 2014

Cashmere Mafia: Conference Call

by Kristin Sample, posted Jan 10th 2008 12:18PM
Cashmere Mafia
(S01E02) I'm still not sure about Cashmere Mafia. And with Lipstick Jungle coming soon, they had better step up their game. I liked tonight's episode a little more than the pilot but I'm not as taken with the show as I'd like to be--the way I was after the first episodes of Desperate Housewives. DH had more compelling storylines and carefully mixed the comedy with the melodrama. Cashmere Mafia definitely had its funny moments last night (i.e. when Mia said that Juliet was an ice queen...sometimes) but parts of the show are just overdone.

Mostly, I think I want more interesting, quirky, accessible characters. The stories that CM has come up with for these women (who could potentially be very compelling) are shallow and contrived at times. More on this after the jump.

Let's talk about the stories that don't quite work first. I should rephrase that. These stories work, they're just work too well which makes them predictable.

First there's Mia's storyline. I thought that Mia Mason would be the mainstay of the show but I'm unimpressed by what the writers have given her so far. Last night she had to fire her freeloading mentor who was good at blowing off work and schmoozing people. Was it really a hard decision to fire this guy? I would have preferred it if Mia actually had to fire someone who didn't deserve to be fired and then had to deal with the guilt. All that said, the scene at the party with Caitlin, Grant and Mia was pretty funny. However, it was ruined by Mia taking another woman under her wing after said woman gives her an awkward compliment. She even got a pair of sunglasses! Yeah, that was believable.

Second is Caitlin's storyline. I think with Caitlin (who I like as a character) the problem is not the predictability but the shallowness of the story. And while Bonnie Somerville's comedic timing is really good, I just don't believe that she and Lourdes Benedicto are attracted to each other. It like "let's just act like what we think lesbians act like." I don't believe that Caitlin is even questioning her sexuality, no less a possible lesbian.

There are, however, some really good things about Cashmere Mafia. Most of them have to do with Zoe Burden played by Frances O'Connor. (I'm surprised at what an adept comedienne Frances O'Connor is. I keep thinking "Is this the same actress from Mansfield Park?" Totally unrelated but if you like Jane Austen and Frances O'Connor, you should rent Mansfield Park.)

Zoe continues to balance her insane work life (even the people she works with are funny) with her home life. I loved the stay-at-home mom trying to steal Zoe's husband. And after the conversation between Zoe and her husband Eric, I actually care about their relationship.

I'm still on-the-fence about Juliet's character and story. Sometimes I really like Juliet (i.e. the scene at the therapist's office) and other times she's just plain annoying (i.e. when she got a makeover courtesy of Caitlin). I just don't know if there's room for two icy neurotic redheads on television. Bree Hodge has that market covered.

Overall, it kept my attention about 70% of the time. What about you? Is Cashmere Mafia worth staying up till 10 to watch? Do you like these characters?

Who is the most compelling member of the CM so far?
Mia19 (10.4%)
Zoe94 (51.6%)
Caitlin39 (21.4%)
Juliet30 (16.5%)

Erika

I like it. I'm staying with it. Though I think the blonde girl is expendable...I couldn't care less about her love life.

January 11 2008 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lheea228

I haven't seen the first episode but I liked the second. I will surely going to watch the next episodes.

January 11 2008 at 6:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lheea228

January 11 2008 at 6:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hessi

Cashmere Mafia might be a little bit predictable, but at least it has some standard.
Sex and the city was good at the beginning, a nice, fresh thing, but at least with season 4, it started being totally über-hip and crazy.
And DH? Please, I tried watching it for about 3 episodes, but it is so over the top...

January 10 2008 at 5:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gooby

I saw Lipstick Jungle and that show is HORRIBLE compared to this one. That show made female executives look like complete idiots at least Cashmere Mafia does it with the right attitude.

Cashmere Mafia had me hooked from the first episode (pilot) and now I'm totally sold. Forget Sex and the City, I'm all about Cashmere Mafia. I'll definitely be tuning in for further episodes.

January 10 2008 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jessie

I actually like the show. There were parts that were entertaining. I am familiar with all the leads except the blonde but she is growing on me. Lucy Liu, Frances O'Connor, and Miranda Otto are all good actresses. I was happy to see Miranda Otto back in the small screen after watching the Starter Wife. I just like her - though he selection of vocals for Cashmere Mafia reminds me of a more sophisticated Samantha on Sex and the City. The show is nice break from the CSIs, reality TV, L & O's, etc. I needed a good girlie show about women in their mid-late 30's+. Like me, a 35 year old, single mom who works full-time though I don't pull down 6-figures (someday) but dating a great man.

January 10 2008 at 5:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ramona

I actually really enjoy watching Cashmere Mafia, but have no desire to watch Lipstick Jungle! Like ORKMommy said, I like the fact that it is nice and light, but also funny and compelling. I don't have to worry about missing one episode and then having no idea about what's going on!

Favorite moment to date: Second episode, when Zoe trumps the stay-at-home mom...but I was so mad that her husband took the job!

January 10 2008 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

i know this is a little off topic but how is a show like this being reviewed and not gossip girl? i've already seen lipstick jungle and if this is anything like it, its the worst dreck ever created. gossip girl isn't even as good as the OC but its certainly better than this terrible crap. strange decisions....

January 10 2008 at 4:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

January 10 2008 at 4:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob Stevens

The show is pretty good (I love the blonde), but I think it's telling that after two episodes, I don't know any of the character's names.

Maybe I liked the show better when it was "Big Shots."

January 10 2008 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply