September 30, 2014

Hey, let's buy a Super Bowl ad!

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 11th 2008 2:06PM

Super Bowl logoAdvertisers still spend a ton of money on the Super Bowl. They use it to launch new products, advertise new movies, and convince guys that only one special beer will make us irresistible to scantily clad models. We'll have full coverage of the Super Bowl ads again this year, but maybe we can go one step further. The New York Times reports that there's still one ad slot left for the game, and FOX is only asking for $2.7 million for the 30 second ad.

So how about we all pool all of our money and buy the spot for TV Squad?

Think about it: if enough readers and employees participate, we can actually have an ad in the Super Bowl, seen by millions! Maybe we can make a plea for Arrested Development or Eyes to come back, or beg that the writers strike be settled as soon as possible? Maybe we can use the 30 seconds to convince people not to watch anymore reality TV, or write a song about TV Squad and make a Busby Berkeley-style musical number to advertise the site?

Please send as much money as you can to me and I'll figure out what to do with it from there.

[via TV Decoder]

Pat

That would be so awesome if we could put together a "don't watch reality tv" ad. I'm sure the Fox execs wouldn't be too pleased though. Any updates on who has taken the spot? To be honest the commercials are my favorite part of the superbowl. I can't wait to watch them all again the day after at http://firebrand.com. Wish I had 2.7 million lying around to make a tvsquad ad.

January 28 2008 at 10:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

I'll throw in $50 if we go for the Arrested Development idea. Haha would Fox show it though? Or just move it all over the schedule? :)

January 12 2008 at 7:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

We could buy a whole new head writer for that...

January 11 2008 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephen

You've got to be kidding me, right? No way we can come up with 3 million dollars. I wouldn't waste your money, people.

January 11 2008 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Stephen's comment
Joel

Lighten up dude

January 11 2008 at 8:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

Michael triple-posted... does that mean he's in for $60 now?

January 11 2008 at 4:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RazorD

I've got $50, and my british accent which would totally grab all the cute girls attention.

What are we selling?

January 11 2008 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RadioScott

I have a coupon for $.55 off a tube of Neosporin I can throw in.

Neo Neo Neo...Sporin Sporin Sporin

January 11 2008 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RadioScott

I have a coupon for $.55 off a tube of Neosporin I can throw in.

Neo Neo Neo...Sporin Sporin Sporin