October 1, 2014

My Name is Earl: Bad Earl

by Paul Goebel, posted Jan 11th 2008 8:44AM

Jason Lee(S03E13) "There's no room at the motel and it's Christmas eve. Just like Jesus' baby." -- Randy Hickey

I don't know about you but I really have a problem watching holiday episodes after New Years. I guess, like many people, I have just had enough "holiday cheer" and when I see those references, I feel like I'm watching an old episode. Maybe I should just be happy that there are new episodes at all.

As I've said before, I always love to see recurring characters. Seeing Ralph and gay Kenny actually crossing paths was one of the high points of this episode.

This episode answered a lot of questions for me. The biggest being, "Is everyone in Camden County a complete idiot?" Clearly, the answer is yes. More importantly, it seems that idiots migrate to the area. Case in point, Tim Stack. Once a Hollywood TV personality, now a drunken wash out living in Camden County. It's the only place that a mental deficient like Ralph can actually outsmart someone.

Personally, I think it's about time Earl gave up on the list. It's clear that he is no longer karma's bitch and the line between making up for something bad you've done and humiliating yourself isn't really all that fine. It seems that it's time for the list to be shelved along with Kip & Henry's dresses and The A-Team's wanted status.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Earl shouldn't try to be a good person. He just doesn't need the list anymore. There are plenty of ways he can assuage his guilt and still live a normal life. Watch Joy's kids, feed Mr. Turtle, help Catalina become a citizen; in addition to getting a decent job and being a functioning member of society, any of these are worthy goals for a fulfilling life.

I really would have liked to see more of Alyssa Milano in this episode, and when she bent over Earl in the street, I wanted to see A LOT more. My hilarious chauvinism aside, adding Milano to the cast is a stroke of genius. Now Earl can live a more normal life with a girlfriend who is trying to achieve similar goals. Together, they can strive to be better people and make the world a better place. Of course, along the way, their white trash leanings will offer a few rough patches but that's to be expected.

Overall, I thought this episode was a little light on laughs but you have to expect that with a transitional story such as this one. If nothing else, I am excited to see Alyssa Milano back in a sitcom again. Maybe if we're lucky, her father, Tony. will stop in for a visit.

Which "relative" should visit Billie in Camden County?
Tony Danza as her father158 (54.1%)
Rose McGowan & Holly Marie Combs as her sisters120 (41.1%)
Thomas Calabro as her brother14 (4.8%)

sebalo

jalvarogutierrez, next episode on nbc the 2nd of april

March 04 2008 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sebalo's comment
jalvarogutierrez

great! thanks for the info.

March 28 2008 at 3:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hottubfan

Hopefully there will be an episode where Alissa Milano spends most of it in her underwear

January 20 2008 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to hottubfan's comment
jalvarogutierrez

You guys have any idea when the next episode its coming?

February 09 2008 at 3:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben

Weird, this aired in my area of Canada (ontario) before the holidays. I wondered when tvguide said it was new and I tuned in to this, figured they were wrong or a misprint.

January 14 2008 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hugeliver

I thought this was a GREAT episode until Alyssa Milano showed up.
She is this generations Ted McGinley!!!!

The list was the one vestige of originality I loved on the tube. In a sea of EXTREMELY bad, numbingly stupid reality shows I liked the idea. I think it would be interesting to see where they go without it, but I'd like it to pop up every once in a while.

And RALPH!!! My GOD that character is funny. I could watch a whole series on HIM! : )

Anyuway, with the addition of Alyssa Milano, I give this maybe two more seasons. Max. So long Earl!!!

January 13 2008 at 10:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Juan Herrera

I hope that Earl goes back to the list and they stop the lame jokes. It has become harder and harder to watch as every week goes by. I enjoy the cast but I have begun to dislike the writers. There was always a moral to the story and you could see the human side of the characters but lately they are all being portrayed as brainless idiots. I hope this changes. I hope that the addition of Alyssa Milano is a plus.

January 12 2008 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KenMo

@Wes
"Also, I can only dream of a possible cat fight between Billie and Joy!"

Two words for you Wes.
- Amen
- Jello

January 12 2008 at 4:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sagisarius

I disagree, I think the show has been bad since the first season, mostly because they ditched the list. I say bring the list back and get back to the original situation, which was hilarious. Ever since then, it's been nothing but lame jokes about how dumb the people in Camden County are, which just isn't very funny.

January 11 2008 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peanut

I like that part of the episode was about who can put his hand on Catalina's butt.

January 11 2008 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wes

Since she got hit by a car, I hope they don't give Billie amnesia or something stupid like that. I'm so over that plot device. Hopefully, Earl will have to help her with her own list. Also, I can only dream of a possible cat fight between Billie and Joy!

January 11 2008 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
theConundrumm

yikes, i was actually enjoying this episode until AM showed up... then a great cheer of HOORAH filled the room when she took a tumble...

personally, i did not, for one second enjoy the 'prison/break' storyline, and this episode was a welcome relief... the sense of irony was not lost on me that this was the first one i've really enjoyed this season...

all that aside, is there nothing more enjoyable than seeing Ralph spending 60% of his screen time in his underwear?... me thinks not.

January 11 2008 at 9:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply