April 24, 2014

Stargate Atlantis: Spoils Of War

by Brett Love, posted Jan 12th 2008 1:42PM
Stargate Atlantis - 412
(S04E12) "Blind we are, if creation of this clone army we could not see." - Yoda

I can't be the only one that had the clone wars running through their noggin through half of this episode. I'm not even a big Star Wars fan, but as soon as Todd started in explaining how the base worked, and how they used it in the war with the Ancients, it was all I could think about. I'll be hearing Yoda in my head all weekend now. That's not to say it was a bad episode. The idea is certainly familiar, but it brought with it some interesting backstory, and that's more than a fair trade.
But first, I'm sure we're all aware of that giant elephant over there in the corner. It's easily my biggest gripe with this episode, and probably not a fair one. After the big cliff-hanger ending last week, I was really looking forward to getting some kind of answer as to just what the hell is going on with the artist formerly known as Dr. Weir. The real deal? RepliWeir? Good? Bad? Does she like long walks on the beach and smooth jazz? Anything. Alas, those answers will have to wait for another episode. I should really know better.

As it became clear we weren't going to be getting anywhere on that front, I was a little disappointed, but the episode rebounded and had me hooked back in by the end. It paled in comparison to the Weir question, but I was also rather curious to know what happened with the Wraith after they bugged out and missed the rendezvous.

We got right to that, finding Todd harvesting ZPMs for the next step in his evil plan. That was a bit of a relief, as my initial thought was that Todd was harvesting raw material so he could rework the replicator code in some way. ZPMs to power the Wrait-O-Matic is a much better way to go. I was with just about every aspect of that story, including the bit where Todd escapes to return again in the future.

First, we had the facility itself, which was all manner of creepy. Then we got another Queen and more than you ever wanted to know about where Wraiths come from. Add to that Todd's little history lesson about the war with the Ancients and it made for a nice bit of backstory on the Wraith. The other little bit that slipped in there that I liked was the floated prospect of a civil war. After the destruction of the Replicators (for now?) things were looking like we were back to square one where Atlantis and the Wraith were concerned. But if this has all led to some sort of civil war between different factions of the Wraith, it could buy Atlantis some time. Time which I vote be spent finding out just what the hell is up with the new and improved Dr. Weir.

We also got a good dose of Teyla story here. As soon as she took to the controls of the hive ship with such ease I was thinking, "Because of the baby?" More a guess than anything, but it played out well in her mind battle with the Queen. She was so menacing in her threats to Teyla. It also served as a nice springboard to righting the ship where Sheppard and Teyla are concerned. It was the push she needed to realize where Sheppard was coming from when he benched her.

The big final play, dive-bombing the cloning facility with the high-jacked hive ship, looked great, and reminds me that I need to call the cable company for my monthly whine about not having SciFi in HD yet. The only disappointment being that they couldn't manage to pull any of the ZPMs before blowing the whole thing to hell.

Finally, my favorite comedic bit of the night came from Rodney. The look on his face and the tone of his voice when the Queen chose him to feed on and he complained that now is when he gets picked first for something was hilarious. Overall, it wasn't the episode I was hoping for, but it was still a really good installment.
Which recurring character would you most like to see in the next episode that completely ignores all of your questions about Dr. Weir?
Todd123 (47.3%)
Larrin104 (40.0%)
Jeannie33 (12.7%)

Alicia

I am so glad that we aren't going to find out anything about Weir for a few (many) more episodes. Classic Stargate formula there...

January 15 2008 at 7:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Horse N. Buggy

Funny that you should mention the Clone Wars. I think of myself as a fairly intelligent person, but I was not able to follow the plot of the first three Star Wars movies at all. They may as well have been written and directed by David Lynch for all I got out of them. Since this episode was easy to follow, no comparison came to my mind.

I also read Joe Mallozzi's blog - I agree that as far as we know, Weir will only be in four episodes this season. They did not begin working on the fifth season until they were officially renewed a couple of months ago. I heard McGillion announce to a convention crowd that he would be "back" but I don't remember a specific episode count. The phrase "a couple" comes to mind, but that could just be wishful thinking. Also, I think Joe M. said that there won't be a way for Carson to come back permanently.

I'm probably a minority in that I don't like them always being at war with some big adversary. I would like a little more exploration.

As I watched this episode, I thought that too much behind the scenes info is not always a good thing. I keep seeing the actor playing Todd instead of seeing Todd the scary Wraith. Based on the other character he plays, I am inclined to think of him as a friend. The tension about whether or not he will betray them just isn't as pressing as it should be.

January 14 2008 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Horse N. Buggy's comment
mail4bh

My favorite comedy part with Rodney was at the beginning when they were all in the locker room getting ready and Teyla came in. Shepard sublty told everybody to clear out, but Rodney missed it. then, Ronan came back and dragged him out by his vest. that was GREAT.

January 14 2008 at 8:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I was actually thinging of an RTS game where you can make more soliders by building barracks.

January 13 2008 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dana_carter_sgx

Yep, as much as it sucks, we're not going to see/know/whatever anything more from Weir/RepliWeir/DupliWeir/Whateweir this season... let's only hope her arch will play a big part next season (it certainly is interesting enough to be so), and not be other Ford.

Because now we don't have Weir anymore... I SO miss her! :'(

January 12 2008 at 8:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Fine episode, advanced some storylines. I like how Todd explained that The Ancients being The Ancients (Thinking they are wonderful) is the reason for their downfall.

The ZPM part pisses me off.

January 12 2008 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

SciFi HD FINALLY showed up on my Comcast system this past Sunday. Great timing, as this was another one with some awesome effects moments. Glad I got to see it in HD, it's just more enjoyable, frankly.

January 12 2008 at 7:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Usama

I got SciFi HD 2 weeks ago (ordered it online on DirecTV's website, took less than a minute to go into effect) and I'm so happy I did. It looks great! Keep pushing your provider to get it. You can get an appreciation for the makeup involved and the beautiful CGI space sequences.

January 12 2008 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

We will re-visit it in episode 20. No I don't have any sources either, but at least I don't pretend to KNOW what I am talking about like akbar does...

If you make such a statement you should cite at least ONE source akbar...

January 12 2008 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Bash's comment
Akbar Fazil

Fair enough Bash, we may re-visit the storyline. Kind of.
SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN"T WATCHED THE SCIFI PROMO:
I take it you are referring to the return of Carson. We have yet to be shown that it will be a replicator version of him being brought back.

I was mostly referring to seeing Weir again this season which is NOT going to happen. I base this off of Tori herself saying she would be in 4 episodes this season. BAMSR was number 4.

I fail to see how I am pretending to know something that I don't. Everything I have stated has been fact. My source: Joe Mallozzi's blog.

January 12 2008 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

ok, I was mistaken. If you are referring to the season finale of episode 20. My mistake.

However, not much is known about the episode yet (other than title and a brief description of the episode) so I fail to see how you think that we will see Weir again this season.
If they do, great. I just don't see it happening based off of what we know so far.

January 12 2008 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Love

Jack, fair point. I've switched up the pre-jump screengrab.

Akbar, Great to see you, even if you do bring such horrible news. I had a sneaking suspicion that might be the case, but I was all jacked up on New Years optimism.

January 12 2008 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply