July 29, 2014

Here are the Golden Globe TV winners

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 13th 2008 10:15PM
Golden GlobesTonight, in a lavish press conference, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association announced the winners of the 2008 Golden Globes. Here are the winners in the major TV categories:

Best TV series, comedy: Extras, HBO

Best TV series, Drama: Mad Men, AMC

Best actor, TV series, comedy: David Duchovny, Californication

Best actress, TV series, comedy: Tina Fey, 30 Rock

Best actress, miniseries or motion picture made for TV: Queen Latifah, Life Support

Best actor, miniseries or motion picture made for TV: Jim Broadbent, Longford

Best actor, TV series drama: Jon Hamm, Mad Men

Best actress, TV series drama: Glenn Close, Damages

Best supporting actress, TV series/movie/miniseries: Samantha Morton, Longford

Best supporting actor, TV series/movie/miniseries: Jeremy Piven, Entourage

Best mini-series, TV: Longford

Horse N. Buggy

Does anyone know what time period this show covers? Specifically, I want to know if the episode of 30 Rock where Alec Baldwin did his therapy session with Tracy was included. If it was and he didn't win, then I just don't know what to say. I did not see a funnier scene on TV all season.

January 14 2008 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Horse N. Buggy's comment
Jim

I would think the awards honor last year's season. The therapy scene was in the current season.

January 14 2008 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Horse N. Buggy

Wikipedia says, "Unlike the Academy Awards, for which the eligibility period begins January 1, the eligibility period for the Golden Globe Awards begins October 1."

I thought it was something like that because 30 Rock was eligible last year, during their first season. I'm not sure if the particular episode I mentioned aired before or after October 1. If after, then it will be part of next year's voting.

Either way, I find it difficult to believe that anyone was funnier than Baldwin. I've never been a fan of his until now - mostly because he didn't appeal to me as a leading man. He should have been doing comedy all along.

January 14 2008 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aberdeen

Wow, I like Californication, but I'm surprised Alec Baldwin didn't take the award. Good for DD, though.

January 14 2008 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

Good to see Longford pick up some awards, particularly Samantha Morton, whose depiction of Myra Hindley was outstanding.

January 14 2008 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

I love Ricky Gervais and I love Extras but there is no way that Extras is better than 30 Rock. 30 Rock is even more deserving when you consider they did 21 episodes and Extras did half a dozen.

January 14 2008 at 8:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Thomas's comment
Borat

I agree, but it was more of a way of saying "goodbye". 30 Rock will be around for next year's awards but not Extras.

What is up with that David Duchovny win...Alec Baldwin, Steve Carrell, Ricky Gervais and even the underrated Jason Lee are all better.

January 14 2008 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gooby

Congrats to Tina Fey! She's one funny lady and 30 Rock is such a gem of a comedy, a true joy to watch. Too bad Alec Baldwin didn't win though. David Duchovny for Californication?!

Also Glenn Close was fab in Damages, the driving force of the show so she definitely deserved the award.

January 14 2008 at 6:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Justice!

Extras, Tina Fey, Mad Men and Damages all score wins, and we didn't have to sit through a boring three-hour awards show. I love it.

January 14 2008 at 5:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rick

I heard a lot of good things about Jon Hamm and Mad Men, BUT for the second year in a row Micheal C. Hall does NOT win!?!? What kind of bull is that??

January 14 2008 at 1:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teresa

Is it a little strange and possibly due to the strike that no network shows are on the list? Not that I don't LOVE Mad Men and Damages...I''m just use to complaining the morning after about my favorite shows being overlooked.

January 13 2008 at 11:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

Yes! Mad Men! That made my night.

January 13 2008 at 11:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Very glad to see Mad Men win! Love that show!

And just remembered about Saving Grace....is that show not being reviewed any more?

January 13 2008 at 10:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply