October 21, 2014

NBC testing Gladiators for steroid use

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 14th 2008 7:30PM
justice; american gladiatorsThe last thing NBC needs right now is a scandal involving its pumped-up American Gladiators. The show premiered with decent ratings two weeks ago and, quite frankly, it's one of the few things NBC has going for it right now.

The network has been testing all twelve of its pumped-up Gladiators for steroids, according to Broadcasting & Cable (via AOL). The mag says all the performers were tested for steroids during their initial physicals and their contracts state that the network can re-test them at any time.

When I watched the season premiere, it didn't occur to me that these guys could be on steroids. I think they look pretty fit but not ridiculously huge or "juiced". That Wolf character... now he sure seems to be on something.

Thorviking

Perhaps another angle to consider, if anyone is looking for a reason to care about the issue of steroids in our culture, is this: someone juicing might well end up blowing out their liver, or another body organ. So how does this affect me, you ask? While anecdotal evidence is about all we really have as to the long-term effects of steroid use, such evidence points to the effects being adverse. This can only increase health care costs borne by everyone (not just the user of steroids). Furthermore, for every liver blown out by steroids, there is a steroid user looking to get on a transplant list, a list we all would like to keep as short as possible.

Am I over-reaching with my argument? Only the myopians and the vain would care to make that assertion, I submit.

January 16 2008 at 3:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

I don't give a rat's as if they are or not. It's just a tv show. What are they gonna do when all of their gladiators test positive?

This all seems like a publicity stunt.

January 15 2008 at 11:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eddie

If these guys aren't roided up, I'm gonna stop watching. How else am I going to get my fix of 'roided up pseudo sports?? Until the baseball season begins again, that is.

January 15 2008 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I think if you look at most of these 'gladiators', you'll find that for the most part they've competed their entire lives in events that test heavily for steroid use. Titan, former Mr. Universe, is a huge proponent of natural bodybuilding and he has written at least one book on how to build a body like his without using drugs of any kind, even the legal ones.

Having said that, how much does this drug testing have to do with the recent uproar over 'roid use in the WWE and professional baseball?

Chris

January 15 2008 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

My first thought was that the gladiators were juiced. Titan is freakishly huge. It can't have come from lifting weights alone.

January 15 2008 at 8:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

It never dawned on me either that they would be on 'roids.

January 15 2008 at 7:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
michael

steroids are illegal to purchase, possess, and consume. any of those three acts constitutes a separate violation of the law.

the issue is not integrity of a "sport" but the fact that these people violated the law in pretty much the same fashion as rush limbaugh.

oh, wait. limbaugh is simply a junkie and these actors broke the law. big difference.

yes, the actors on american gladiators appear juiced.

January 15 2008 at 6:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
js

But have they checked the women to make sure they are, indeed, women?

January 15 2008 at 2:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sitruc

"When I watched the season premiere, it didn't occur to me that these guys could be on steroids. I think they look pretty fit but not ridiculously huge or "juiced"."

Hmm... Some of these guys are on steroids was my first thought.

January 14 2008 at 10:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sitruc's comment
Ryan Olsen

I find that hillarioius.

I thought that they were on steriods from the getgo.

January 15 2008 at 12:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Yes, because they must preserve the dignity and honesty of such a fine sport.

Yeah, right.