October 24, 2014

Prison Break: Boxed In

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jan 14th 2008 11:00PM

Whistler (Chris Vance, C) and Michael (Wentworth Miller, R) come face to face with Susan B. (Jodi Lyn O'Keefe, L) in the PRISON BREAK episode 'Boxed In.'
(S03E09) "Let's see if he has the tattoo to get out of that one." - T-Bag

Prison Break may not be the best thing on TV at this point, but hey - at least it's new. It's been over two months since the mid-season finale and I was a little sketchy on what had happened previously, but this was never a show that required much thinking. Once the action started, it was easy to figure out what everyone was up to. You know... breaking out of prison.

So if you recall, the last episode ended with Michael being brought out of the prison, presumably to solitary confinement. After the two escape attempts, the new general put two and two together and figured Scofield had something to do with it. So they threw Michael in some sort of mini-greenhouse/chicken coop cell. In the hot Panama sun, it didn't take him long to revise his plan and start talking to the general.

This is where it got a little ridiculous though. He spilled the beans about everything - Lincoln being set up in the US, The Company, Sarah's murder, and LJ. Of course the story sounds bogus... but somehow the general verifies it and starts to believe Michael. Now I realize this guy is some high-ranking government official and he most definitely has eyes and ears everywhere, but still. Even the slightest inkling as to how he got his intel would have been nice. After that, it played out as you would expect. Michael gave up Whistler and Whistler gave up Susan B. a.k.a. Gretchen Morgan.

This was interesting though. Michael went through with this extremely dangerous course of action fully aware that any mess up could get LJ killed. It shows you his motives though. While I believe he truly fears for the safety of his nephew, getting revenge for Sarah's death seems to be at the top of his list. He was willing to lie to Lincoln (recall that "this is part of the plan" crap) to make sure Gretchen got apprehended and as a result, Michael got his face time with her. Getting out of prison is now just supplementary to his main goal: killing Gretchen, or at least "making her pay." Of course, Michael is on to Whistler now too. He now knows that the meeting he witnessed was more than just a casual encounter. Obviously, Michael was always suspicious, but now his curiosity is truly piqued. That and he's pissed.

Elsewhere, prison life went on as usual. Mahone was dumped back in Sona and seems determined to stay clean. I doubt that will happen with T-Bag pushing drugs every five minutes. T-Bag has motive though. Get Mahone to take out Sammy and T-Bag is in on the escape plan. Sure Whistler gave him his word, but I wouldn't trust that guy. It shows you how much T-Bag really wants out though. He looked like he was going to cry when he realized that Mahone was in no way prepared to get high and drop Sammy a chicken leg.

More thoughts...

• Now that Gretchen has agreed to pay Sucre to continue helping Michael, Sucre has no reason to keep smuggling for Augusto. So... what happens when he says no to Augusto?
  • Bellick kicked the sh*t out of Sammy's goon! Yeah, I know he fought dirty (acetone soaked rags) but you can't help but root for the guy at this point.
  • What's going to be the significance of that coin that Lang gave to Mahone? I see no point in bringing it into the story if it's only going to be some sort of good luck charm. It's got to play a bigger role if you ask me...
  • Gun or no gun, in a fight I think I'd pick Sammy over Lechero. Sammy seems scrappy and Lechero is starting to come across as old. He'll probably have Sammy killed before the potential for a fight even comes close though. Unless T-Bag's plan for Mahone suddenly comes through.
  • So isn't Gretchen going to have "wanted" posters all over the place now? Every guard at the prison saw her when the general brought her in. It's going to be a little odd if she just goes back to business as usual and doesn't encounter any interference from the law.
  • Maybe I missed this, but why does Augusto want Lechero dead? What does he gain by having Sammy in charge? I don't think Sammy is going to have an easier time smuggling Augusto's contraband (booze, etc.) into the prison.
  • Is Sofia going to do anything besides whine? If she's going to be kept around, at least have her character do something productive. She should go figure out why Whistler is lying to her.

From here on out, it's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. The escape can't be far off and nothing is really clicking. Michael doesn't trust Whistler, Mahone is in withdrawal, T-Bag and Bellick both want in on the plan, and Sammy has plans for Lechero. Doesn't exactly sound like a cohesive group.

Prison Break is due for a death and all of these feel like safe choices. What do you think?
Lechero is done. Sammy is going to take him out.44 (15.1%)
Bellick won one fight but he won't win a second.25 (8.6%)
I don't think Mahone will be able to take the withdrawal symptoms.17 (5.8%)
Sammy is making a mistake by standing up to Lechero. He's a goner.168 (57.7%)
I think someone else's time is up...37 (12.7%)

JoAnn

Prison Break is the best! The show keeps you on the edge of your seat and you become part of Michael and Linc's family. I was very upset when Sara got killed Michael deserved some happiness, but if he gets revenge that's ok too. I hope this show goes on for a very long time.

February 12 2008 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
k i s h

ok im confused, on the official prison break site i read the recap of episode 3.09 (boxed in) after watching it just to make sure i understood what was going on, and it keeps mentioning a woman called molly who is seen burning pictures, one which is of Michael, and then it even says at the end of the episode she comes to visit michael, am i missing something here as i didnt see any of this woman in the episode i watched on Monday night?

January 21 2008 at 11:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

I avoid tv squad on nights i miss tv...look how late my post is....anyway

I love they used waterboarding...i have tried to explain it to my wife but now she got to see.

Isn't augusto who is in charge of lechario operation while lecharo is in prison? Sammy kill Lecharo and Augusto has it all to himself with sammy running inside. Hello....Sucre didn't get paid this week...he got to live.,,thats how

Well Sammy won't underestamate Bellick like the other guy did but I bet Tbag can dope up sammys food to help too.

I bet the company buys off whoever to forget what gretchen looked like.

January 18 2008 at 6:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peku

Loved the episode. I've enjoyed the entire season thus far and can't understand all the whining about it.

Hopefully Sammy is the one to hit the bucket. Although knowing Prison Break the one to die is most likely someone much more loved by the fans. And hopefully T-Bag can advance his position in Sona (at least get him ahead of Sammy in the picking order) and get in on the train to freedom, there just hasn't been enough of T-Bag this season. I'm tired of seeing him being bossed around by Sammy.

I'd love to see a fight with Sammy and Mahone as Mahone is pretty much an unstoppable killing machine and the first fight between Michael and that other guy was so sweet thanks to Mahone. I'd love nothing more than to see him snap Sammy's neck. Hopefully T-Bag can somehow convince him to take the fight.

But the most important thing is that T-Bag, Mahone and Bellick all stay alive, if someone from the main cast has to die, I'd most like to see Sucre die. He's just not needed.

And yes, it was pretty clear to me that Michael knew all along that Gretchen was going to get herself out of the sticky situation and that this was the only way he was going to get back inside the prison with Whistler.

January 15 2008 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Benjy

I've always been a big supporter of this show (except for when they killed Sara). This episode was no exception.

Michael knew the general was going to get killed. He saw it coming from a mile away. When he told Linc to tell Gretchen that it was "all part of the plan," he really meant it! The heat is off Michael, he's now back inside, he knows the truth about Whistler and Gretchen, and he now knows who to kill in revenge for Sara's death. Plus, Michael knew (and even says at the end to Linc) that while LJ's life could be endangered by the plan, The Company would still not kill him as LJ is the only leverage they still have over the brothers.

If this episode proves one thing, it's never to underestimate Michael Scofield.

I think the coin will prove to be a source of strength for Mahone in his quest to kick the junk and regain his life. Even though Mahone is a scumbag, he seems to at some point have been a guy who used to be good and just took one horrible left turn after another.

January 15 2008 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

The shark was most definitely jumped when Jodi Lyn O'Keefe joined the show. She is about as intimidating as a hungry hamster. A poor casting choice - my interest in Prison Break has diminished significantly because of it (she ruined Nash Bridges too!). I believe this will be the last season of Prison Break.

January 15 2008 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

I enjoyed the episode. While the previews would let you think Lechero was definitely getting killed, I think it's Sammy's time. T-Bag has a way of killing people he considers an obstacle.

However, Sucre's storyline just got complicated. It may be him...I'm sure Gretchen's aching to take out someone close to Michael.

Michael's plan was genius.

January 15 2008 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

It seems I can't directly 'Reply' to your comment, Jonathan Toomey, but it was my understanding that TVSquad respected that some people timeshift their television shows or may not be able to view the shows in their country by the time this is posted on the front page.

At any rate, all spoilers regarding the outcome of the show are kept until "after the jump", so why should the pictures be any different? In fact, I think it's most important to leave spoiling pictures for later, as we all know how many words they can convey in a simple glance.

January 15 2008 at 9:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MCW

"Let's see if he has the tattoo to get out of that one." - T-Bag

That was my favorite line too. T-Bag has THE best lines of the show every week. He is such a great character, no matter how scummy he is.

I was thinking the exact same thing about Michael and his long sleeve shirt. :) Surely he has something lighter to wear inside a seran-wrap box. Surely.

I really liked the episode otherwise. Really got my emotions going, when that little s.o.b. killed the police officers.

January 15 2008 at 6:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

The picture is a little spoiler-tastic to have on the front page, no? In other news, this was another "everything's back to normal" episode with some minor plot advancement. Telling the General was kinda dumb, him finding out it's all true was dumber and having Gretchen just go all crazy and kill a guard and the General was really dumb. If the General is going to get LJ from the bad guys, why only bring 1 guard? Maybe I'm just sick of Prison Break, as much as I love it and the direction it's taken this year.

January 15 2008 at 4:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joe's comment
Jonathan Toomey

Joe -

The episode already aired. As far as TV Squad is concerned, it's no longer a spoiler.

January 15 2008 at 8:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply