August 30, 2014

The Price is Right -- three months later

by Richard Keller, posted Jan 16th 2008 1:01PM

Drew CareyAbout three months ago -- October 15th, 2007, to be exact -- the face of daytime television changed, and some say not good. It was the day that the first Drew Carey-hosted The Price is Right aired on CBS' daytime schedule. Reviews of that first performance (which was actually the seventh show taped) were mixed. Some said that the first show was good, but there were obviously things that Drew needed to improve on. Others didn't even give him the benefit of the doubt and were already calling for his replacement. Still others used the word "disgusting" in expressing their opinion of Carey as a host and a person.

Well, about 92 days have passed since that initial show and Drew is still the host of TPIR. People are still filling the audience, bidding on items, playing games, and spinning the Showcase Showdown wheel. The question then is if Drew has improved since he first took the microphone? In my opinion, yes. But, he still has a little bit to go.

Overall, Drew is definitely more relaxed as the host, particularly in episodes that were taped much later in the season. You see that as soon as he is introduced to the crowd. He really feeds off the energy that the crowd provides, and it drives him to be better from the get-go.

He is also less fidgety. One of the big things that we all probably saw and were totally frustrated about was the fiddling with his left jacket pocket at the beginning of the show. It personally aggravated me to no end since it wasn't even the pocket where he held the actual bids. Over the last few weeks I've seen that practice gradually end. Yes, it comes up every so often, but it looks like Drew knows that he's doing it and he is actually trying to stop the action.

Another area where I see improvement is his interaction with the contestants. Granted, he isn't as suave and genial as Bob Barker was -- Barker had 35 years to hone his skills. Yet, Drew is starting to be a bit more personable with the contestants in the bidding pit, as well as those who make it up on stage. It's less business for him (as it seemed to be on the first show) and more fun, which it really should be.

The biggest change that I see is in Drew's appearance. I don't know who dressed him during the first show they aired, but Carey looked very heavy and incredibly uncomfortable in the dark suit he was wearing. Dark colors may work for his Power of 10 primetime game show, but not on a set as bright and airy as the one TPIR is recorded on. Since then, he has been wearing lighter shades and suits that seem to fit him better. In addition to that, I think that Drew may have lost some weight since the first group of shows were taped as his face isn't nearly as big as it was during the first show.

There are still some places where Carey needs improvement. One of these would be his little side mumblings into the microphone that we hear but the contestant and the audience do not. When these go flat, it is somewhat awkward to watch. Another issue he has is with consistency. On one episode during 'Christmas Week' Drew was very up and chipper. On the next day's episode it seemed like all of the energy was drained out of him. One thing that Bob had going for him that he was always 'on' when it came to TPIR, and this is something Carey needs to work to correct.

As I have said numerous times, Drew Carey is no Bob Barker -- both have their unique styles. I think that many people have negative feelings about Carey hosting The Price is Right because they got so used to Barker's style. Whether they will give another chance to Drew is something I can't predict. But, as long as ratings are good, and people fill the audience at the Bob Barker Studio, then Drew should be just fine.

After two months, what do you think of Drew on The Price is Right
He is getting better312 (74.6%)
He's getting neither better nor worse34 (8.1%)
He is not doing well at all72 (17.2%)

Amy

I like the job Drew Carey is doing overall. It would be nice if he didn't poke fun at the products and their descriptions. This makes him look like he doesn't take the products seriously. If the sponsors are not happy, then he may be out of a job. He can still be fun and comical with out taking jabs at the products featured on the show.

January 29 2008 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mario500

I may have been used to Bob Barker's hosting style, but I understand that no human being is perfect. I recall moments when he may have appeared "rude" to a contestant, but that was just his way of having fun with the contestant he respected. Drew Carey also has fun with the contestants on and off stage, but such interaction can be done professionally.

Drew may have gotten better at describing many Pricing Games and he is definitely enjoying his job, but after watching the show since October 15th he still doesn't fit well. He will continue to improve in certain areas (describing games, introducing prizes), but his interaction with the contestants and the show's staff is not always professional to my eyes and ears. I will continue to watch the show not just for the new host, but for the contestants and games.

January 21 2008 at 7:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Tanna

Bob genial to bidding contestants and/or fat and/or non-emcee-ass-kissing contestants? I don't know what show you were watching, but most of the time Barker was an ass, esp. to those not sharing a "two-shot" (i.e. the same camera) with him in contestants' row. Even Vanna White told Larry King that Barker was "rude" to her when she was a bidding contestant in 1980.

Drew treats each contestant with respect. He may be a bit clunky or not Bob-slick but he's far classier on a very human level. GO DREW!

January 18 2008 at 9:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fatherly

I like Drew and his sense of humor.
The fact that he likes the show and genuinely seems to be having fun (he even makes fun of things at times) he doesn't seem so jaded about things - he brought some new life to the show and the models seem better too ;)

January 17 2008 at 12:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smashthesymbols

Drew is doing just fine, given who he's trying to replace. He's got some work to do yet, but if CBS and the audience are willing to give him time I think he'll be great at this.

January 16 2008 at 9:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

Bob Barker rocked TPIR up until the last five years, where you could tell it was wearing on him. Sometimes he would just be downright robotic or nasty to the guests. Compared to that, Drew is a breath of fresh air. Ahhh.

January 16 2008 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TVGenius

I love him on Power of 10, and after seeing him do that, I knew he'd eventually settle into TPiR OK. In the later years, Bob Barker always seemed too 'plastic' too me, especially on his entrance through the "first item up for bid today". Always seemed like the same "thank you"s to the audience, phony smile, then turn to Rod/Rich and ask the same exact thing.

Drew on the other hand adlibs a lot more, and it seems like the audience really feeds off of him, which is good, since (somehow) the audience had always fed off Bob too.

I'm jaded since I work in TV, but one thing drives me crazy. On a lot of the shows I've seen, his audio sucks (often overmodulated), but it seems like they only take the audio from the wireless (good change) stick mic, not the lav he's wearing, and I don't know why. He still hasn't gotten settled into making sure the mic's pointed at the right person at the right time 100% yet.

Overall, I think he's doing great, especially given the shoes he filled.

January 16 2008 at 5:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

I like Drew just fine on POWER OF 10, but I just couldn't get past the first episode of TPIR. I agree, he was too business-like and he looked like he was bloated tick ready to explode out of that too tight suit. Looking at old DREW CAREY SHOW reruns, you can see he's gained a lot of weight since then and hopefully he's going to try to take some of it off. I think his weight distracted me more than anything. Plus he didn't interact well with the contestants, so hopefully he's corrected that as well. It would be a terrible thing for fans of the show and Drew if the show suffered because of his performance.

January 16 2008 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lucyfan62's comment
sitruc

Two shows and a soccer team should make it easy for him to lose weight if he doesn't eat the food at Qwest.

January 16 2008 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply