September 1, 2014

A Daily Show: January 16, 2008

by Annie Wu, posted Jan 17th 2008 9:00AM
Liberal Fascist"Indecision 2008:" Mitt Romney passed John McCain and Mike Huckabee for the win in Michigan, that one place that looks like a mitten. Also, "Mitt Romney" in German is "With Romney." Fun Fact courtesy of Mr. Stewart.

On the Democratic side, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, John Edwards and not Dennis Kucinich sat around a table and had a fun discussion. Same hand-holding may have been involved. The media has also been having fun, throwing around the phrase "the gloves are off" in reference to Clinton and Obama's fight for the top. Also, here's some other super-fun news: Wow, race is still a relevant issue? People are spreading false rumors on the Internet? How strange.

John Hodgman hasn't been on the show since its return, but he's been talking about this issue on his blog lately, occasionally punctuated by pictures of Jonathan Coulton paper doll. Give the posts a read if you've been missing the Resident Expert.

The night's guest was Jonah Goldberg, author of Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left, From Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning and the latest guy to get his ass kicked by Jon Stewart. I think. Actually, I'm not really sure what happened there. Before the interview started, a post-interview Jon popped up and said that the interview ended up being 18 minutes, way too long for the provided window, so they had to make it "choppy as hell." Boy, was it choppy as hell. We felt the tension rapidly growing from the very beginning, but it made less and less sense with every moment. At one point, the interview suddenly cut to Jon shouting, "How is organic food fascist?!" Oh, it was glorious. I don't know this Goldberg guy and I have no idea what to make of this interview, so I'm just going to sit back and marvel at the entertaining non-sequitors.

Jon/Stephen: None. Wouldn't have had time anyway, I'm sure. Moment of Zen: No one can get a word in edgewise once Chris Matthews gets started on the World's Fair.

Katie

They haven't posted the full version online yet, and there's a growing fan uproar on the message board for the aformentioned clip:

January 17 2008 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Corey

The (oops)... A Daily Show should really post the full unedited interview online. I really think it would be interesting to see how that whole thing went down. It was certainly one of the most baffling event to happen on the show in recent memories, particularly in its severely edited form.

January 17 2008 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

Is this interview another side effect of not having writers??? i was really confused and frankly, a little pissed off at Stewart and Co b/c I love Jonah's columns in National Review, and he rarely goes on TV.

Maybe The Daily Show isn't live-to-tape like Conan?

January 17 2008 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ed Venture

Is the little Hitler mustache really necessary? Oh look, he's German, must be a Nazi.

January 17 2008 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Ed Venture's comment
RJ

You should get your facts straight before you make comments, that picture is on the cover of his book.

January 17 2008 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ed Venture

I saw the image next to the first blurb regarding Romney and assumed it related to him. I didn't realize it was referring to the second to last paragraph of the article. (I don't watch the daily show as I don't care for Jon Stewart.) Mea Culpa

January 17 2008 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
No1Dad

"I'm not really sure what happened there."

Probably just the editors just cut out the parts where Stewart got owned.

January 17 2008 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to No1Dad's comment
Whitney

I still don't understand how this show is getting produced without writers. Clearly, the vast majority of the first and second segments are still written. Who is writing them? Does anyone know?

January 17 2008 at 9:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply