September 23, 2014

X-Files sequel starts filming

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 17th 2008 2:41PM

X-Files 2X-Files fans rejoice: the sequel really is going to happen. In fact, they've already started filming!

On the right is one of the first pics from the set. David Duchovny has his Fox Mulder hair back, while Gillian Anderson seems to be sporting a new do. But I'll stop talking about hair right now because it's weird.

Creator/director Chris Carter says that they're completely dumping the whole alien mythology storyline from the show, since they already "wrapped up a lot of threads" from the show (really?). Instead, the new flick will settle on a standalone plot, which will not only please old fans but also the new fans that Carter is trying to hook into the movie.

I think it's going to be very weird if they don't at least address the whole aliens-are-going-to-take-over-the-world plot from the show in some way. Oh, and let's hope their son hasn't grown up to become a wacky kid sidekick for the duo.

[via Cinematical]

Robert Thompson

First of all, I LOVE "The X-Files." I think one of the best parts of "The X-Files" is the sense of mystery it is imbued with. I study ufology, and I feel it is a truly mysterious subject. I see a glorious future for "The X-Files." I think there will be more than just this coming sequel. "Standalone" plots are part of the series, and sometimes they are not that standalone. Mulder has UFO's and aliens, but Scully is on a sort of quest too -- issues of Catholicism. It seems like Carter explores the possiblity that all of these different "extraordinary experience" type of events are related in some way. I think Carter witholds answers because he hasn't discovered them yet. "What has he seen? Of the whole he has seen but parts." Krycek, C.G.B. Spender -- in many ways they turn out to be free agents, pursuing their own agenda, maybe being in the dark themselves about the larger picture.

March 21 2008 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

Will 'The Lone Gunmen' be in it ?

January 18 2008 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eydie

I loved the X-Files, but I think Chris waited to long after the series ended to come out with the movie, due to his lawsuit with fox. He always had a big ego and I am sorry to say I don't think anyone except extreme fans will pay to see it. I will rent the DVD though.

January 18 2008 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

i was a huge fan of the x files, and i didn't like the ending either, so im very happy and exited to know that they are gonna make a movie, with the old vibe monster of the week, i'm just happy to see mulder and scully again, and after all these time, i really don't care if they got me answers or not (more alien crap woud be boooring in these time of my life), just wondering, will the time line of the movie be post ending of the series, or they will make like a precuel?? hope it's the last, i'm not feeling very good about a ghostbuster family (plus they wasn't FBI agents anymore, and a movie with out that, i don't think so!!!).

ether way i'm so gonna pay to see that movie!!! even if it is for old time sake!!! :)

January 18 2008 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tcc3

already "wrapped up a lot of threads" from the show means

"We ruined the main plot, its pretty much a twisted unrecoverable mess. So we'll do a standalone because we all have boat payments to make."

January 18 2008 at 9:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Hylo, I disagree, there are many questions that are not answered. Who made the chip implanted in scully's neck? Who implanted it there (japanese scientists, the syndicate, or aliens?)? What aliens are doing what? In one episode, one of the ugly aliens 'hatches' into a grey alien (in the nuclear reactor in Arizona). Are supersoldiers human or alien (I heard Chris Carter said in an interview they were aliens, but I never got that from the series)?

That's just off the top of my head at 6am. I can think of 100 more unanswered questions given the time and inclination. Anyone satisfied with the x-files' supposed resolution clearly wasn't paying much attention to the show for its 9 seasons.

January 18 2008 at 7:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bruce's comment
amanda

The chip in Scully's neck was put there by our government for the aliens. One species of alien are here to help and protect us. The other species are here to destroy us. You'd get from the series that supersoldiers were at the least part alien because they bleed green. Those answers were just off the top of my head on my short as hell lunch break.

I was satisfied with the finale, considering they are going to make more than just this one sequel. It's in the contract.

January 21 2008 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Travis

I'm actually pretty stoked.

I get what you guys are saying (Carter, just give us the answers!) but at the same time, I do feel as though the Serenity team pulled off the standalone, so why can't X-Files?

Sure, sure. Maybe Carter is no Joss, but still, it's entirely possible to make a good standalone scifi film isn't it?

January 18 2008 at 1:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Chris Carter is wise to stick with a "stand-alone" movie. This is the unfortunate truth about The X-Files: Although Carter may have created it, he was not solely responsible for it's brilliant early seasons. Carter did the first four seasons with Howard Gordon (currently exec producing 24), Glen Morgan and James Wong (creators of the short-lived Space: Above and Beyond), and Glen's brother Darin (who wrote THE best X-Files episodes and won the show's only writing Emmy). I strongly suspect the "mythology" came more from those other writers, which is why the later X-Files seasons, under Carter's primary control, lacked the coherence of the early years.

January 17 2008 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

I never got into X-Files for some reason, even though I am huge Sci-fi fan. I actually did see the first movie and was throughly entertained and confused at the same time. Seems like they should have made the first movie a stand-a-lone to get more viewers into the series while it aired and this second movie to address loose threads. Seems they are doing it backwards. What's the point of making a stand-a-lone movie to attract fans to a series that hasn't been made in 6 years and by all accounts went on 2 years longer than it should have?

January 17 2008 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jake's comment
Hylo

Oreo, and the rest, what Carter said is absolutely right. Virtually every questioned raised was answered. The last episode was more of a recap but all the big questions raised throughout the show were most definitely answered so any movie "answering question" would be retreading old ground and therefore pointless. It always annoys me when people say "X-files never answered any questions". It's like a meme that has taken root and everybody just utters it, yet it's crap. If you want te answers go back and actually watch the show. They are there.

And the movie will be a huge success, I'm sure. It doesn't have a huge budget yet there will almost certainly be a massive appetite for it, provided FOX promote it adequetly. X-Files always had the cool factor so i will have loads of people rushing out to relive the glory days and provided it's a great movie irrespective of the fact that it's based on a TV show, which I'm sure it will be, then I see no reason why it wont be successful.

January 17 2008 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

I just recently re-watched the entire 9 series of the x-files over the past 2 months (nothing else on TV, hadn't seen any X-files episodes since the end of the 7th season, never saw how it rapped up since I stopped caring once Duchovny left). Having just seen the entire series, including the alien-arc and the so-called "conclusion" episode... well, first, I'm very disappointed in how bad the show turned out to be the final 2 seasons... particularly the final 9th season with all the dumb-ass "super soldier" crap. And the series finale was horribly disappointing, didn't answer anything.

That being said, to make a new x-files movie that amounts to just a generic "monster of the week" episode seems terribly misguided to me. Maybe it's because the entire series is fresh in my mind, and I know it's been such a long time since the show went off the air. But at this point, assuming the new movie takes place after the series finale (surely they won't make it be pre-mulder and scully on the run series finale), it just seems asinine. I don't know whether I'll see it or not, I guess more info will come out before the movie opens. Based on what I know now, without more, I will not go pay to see it.

January 17 2008 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply