April 17, 2014

Ugly Betty: Odor in the Court

by Erin Martell, posted Jan 18th 2008 2:45AM

Barry Bostwick and Judith Light

(S02E12) Courtroom drama! Perfume that makes you crazy! Baby-making schemes! This week's Ugly Betty had all the telenovela angles covered. In the grand tradition of fictional court proceedings, Claire's murder trial was over and done with in a couple of days. Don't you love that about TV? There was even time to spare for Gio, Wili, and Christina. Good thing, too, because there's only one episode left. Better get your fill of Suzuki St. Pierre now, folks.

Not Guilty! I'm so relieved that Claire is out of that prison jumpsuit and back in her designer suits. She won't smell as good without her perfume, but she will be significantly less paranoid. That has to be a plus. Now that she's a free woman, how will Claire spend her time? I hope that she gets a love interest in future episodes (whenever new episodes are written, that is). My vote is for Barry Bostwick's character. It would be a shame if the trial is the last we see of him. Claire should definitely spend more time around Betty; the scene when Betty agreed to keep Claire's perfume for "safekeeping" was touching. That kind gesture nearly led to Betty's death, but it was still sweet.

I wonder why the perfume had such a rapid effect on Betty, but not on Claire? Does alcohol delay the effects of the toxins, or what? Either way, it was hilarious to see America Ferrera playing an extremely bonkers version of Betty Suarez. Everything about Betty was intensified: her jealousy and insecurity, her appreciation of "purple" pastrami and tomatoes that taste "like sunshine," and even her love of Molly Ringwald. Betty's time under the influence revealed quite a bit about her true feelings concerning Henry and his connection to Charlie. She's not holding true to her promise to live in the moment, but that's not a surprise. Things aren't looking good for their relationship on a long-term level, though.

Cliff's goodness must be rubbing off on Mr. St. James, because he has suddenly become the voice of reason around the Mode offices (and he doesn't even work there!). He convinced Amanda to do the right thing and hand over the evidence that proved Claire's innocence. It's tough to admit that your late mother's murderous ways got her killed. Maybe Gene Simmons will turn out to be a better role model for Amanda. I have a feeling that Amanda will have to resume her search after meeting Gene Simmons next week, but you never know. Personally, I'd prefer it if Amanda's biological father became a recurring character instead of making a one-time appearance.

I can't believe that Christina went through with this surrogate deal! We haven't seen much of her husband Stuart lately, but you just know that her big sacrifice will end badly. Between Stuart's mysterious illness and Wili's generally villainous nature, Christina has some major betrayal in her future. Could the final scene in the doctor's office have been any creepier? Still, kudos to Betty for showing up to support her friend's ill-advised endeavor.

How much longer will it take Betty to discover that Gio has feelings for her? Hilda figured it out a long time ago, and even Amanda has her suspicions. I'm guessing that Daniel might be on to the sandwich maker as well. Did you see Daniel looking at Gio's face after that hug with Betty? I've gone back and forth on the Henry vs. Gio issue, but I think I'm officially on team Gio--at least for now. He was so gentle with Betty at the doctor's office, rubbing her back and comforting her. You can't beat the on-screen chemistry that America Ferrera and Freddy Rodriguez have right now, and I think they should go for it.

I tried to soak up as many precious Betty moments as I could, since this was one of the last remaining episodes. Cheese fingers has become my favorite mean nickname of all time, although Eggy is a close second. I also appreciated that Wili and Marc presented Christina with an oversized check for $100,000--just to get the point across. Let's not forget about the aptly named Judge Biotch, either. For me, the cutest moment of the episode was when drugged-up Betty hopped over a chair in Daniel's office while saying "Woo!" Who knew that toad venom could make Betty more adorable?

Which, if any, storylines will be resolved next week? Will Stuart suddenly become more interesting? Is Gene Simmons really Amanda's father? When is Gio going to make his move? I don't know what to expect from the final episode, since it wasn't intended to be the last one of the season. Perhaps it's better to cast aside all concerns about plot resolution and be grateful that there's at least one more episode of Ugly Betty left to watch.

My favorite lines of the night:

• "The outfit gave a lethal injection of style to an otherwise drab day of testimony." --Suzuki St. Pierre, on Claire's Dior suit.
  • "Her evil disposition, my eyes...that kid would be unstoppable." --Marc, on his hypothetical baby with Wilhelmina.
  • "It was designed for lazy afternoons that blurred the line between pleasure and pain." --Amanda, on the Love Dungeon
  • "A Windsor knot with a spread collar? You're the one who should be behind bars, Danny Boy!" --Suzuki St. Pierre
  • "I just got a new crock pot, so you know where I was all day." --Marc
  • "I miss Addison so much." --Justin sounding off on Grey's Anatomy
  • "I spend more time here now than when I worked here." --Marc

Next week--Gene Simmons guest stars, Daniel crosses paths with Wili's sister, and Henry and Gio face off!

What's your take on Betty's love life?
I'm still rooting for Henry.132 (31.0%)
Gio's the man for her.206 (48.4%)
I can't decide.68 (16.0%)
Other (elaborate in comments).20 (4.7%)

tony

i think that what the first person said is true, i think betty and daniel will have a romantic relationship, probably towards the end, first of all that's how the original version of the REAL Betty from colombia ended,where this one was inspired from and thats how allllllllll the betty's of the world have ended. i have seen many versions and the american one does differ a lot but you never know.... she might end up with her boss like all the other ones!!

January 19 2008 at 2:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Loved the episode. Loved the characters.

But the fact that Betty is so clueless that she SOOO could've asked for a raise (and more!) from this family that (a) owes her tons and (b) comforted them ALL in their times of need and yet she did NOT just boggles me.

Then again maybe Betty is just not that type of person but come on now.

January 18 2008 at 9:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arynn

Oh! And I just wanted to add... I loved that this was the first time Daniel has instigated a hug with Betty, instead of the other way around. Adorable.

Only one more episode, now! *gasp* How will I survive??

January 18 2008 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Arynn's comment
marisolace

Yeah, I agree with the development theory. I like Henry, but it feels like he's holding her back. Their getting together seems too, well, predictable, and you have to admit, it can't be happy trails for the entire series. He has to go back to Charlie and raise their kid. Unless something horrible happens and she dies, which I'm doubting.

I loved that hug between him and Betty. For the record, I liked the last episode's ending, as well. When they were walking down the runway after the show..? It felt nice.

January 18 2008 at 7:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teri

Henry and Betty started off with an undeniable romantic chemistry which continues to flourish to this day. I enjoy watching them living, loving, and laughing together. What saddens me is the thought of only one new episode of my favorite show.

January 18 2008 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arynn

I'm with Marisolace on this one. Ultimately, I'm on the Daniel/Betty team... but that clearly *can't* happen until they're getting ready to wrap up the show, so I definitely don't want it to materialize anytime in the near future. So, for the time being, I'm cheering for Gio.

The way I see it, the writers are creating a progression for Betty's boyfriends to externalize her personal growth.

1. Walter. Tried to keep Betty from changing, and she was afraid to move on from him for a long time just because the idea of change scared her. He was actively holding her back.

2. Henry. He's essentially a male Betty. He's got dark hair and glasses, dresses dorkily, and gets teased by the "cooler" Mode folks. He's not holding her back, like Walter, but he's not really promoting much future growth either.

3. Gio. He's noticeably different from Betty. More outgoing, more confident. He irritates Betty because he *challenges* her (e.g. the whole "then why aren't you writing?" thing). He's actively coaxing her forward into being a more confident person.

There will probably be one or two more guys before they finish off the line-up with Daniel (who the writers have said is essentially a parallel character with Betty, so he's making his own journey of change to get to the end).

Anyway, so to sum up a post that became *way* too long... I'm cheering Gio on right now. He's the one who will help Betty grow and come more into her own, which will be the most interesting to watch. Don't get me wrong, I love Henry. He's adorable and sweet... but I don't get much out of he and Betty's relationship anymore. I feel like it's kind of played itself out, plotline-wise. Plus, he's due to leave for Tucson in the not-so-distant future.

January 18 2008 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RanMas

The FUNNIEST Betty ever! We were rolling on the floor for the first 1/2 hour at my house. I can't stand the thought of more time without my weekly Betty fix. I hope many new viewers watched and got hooked. ALSO, I agree... Barry Botswick would be perfect on this show.

January 18 2008 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

I used to be on the Betty/Henry bandwagon and when I heard about a new potential love interest I was appalled...but I think after the last couple of episodes, I've switched. Gio is so sweet and, behind his biting sarcasm and wit, he's kind.

January 18 2008 at 9:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
No1Dad

I like Betty and Henry too. I thought America Ferrara's acting in this episode was her best yet. Didn't know she could be that funny.

January 18 2008 at 9:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarah

wasnt the hospital scene the funniest thing?! i love everything about that scene. i also love when Betty jumped Henry in the elevator when he was leaving. normal Betty would have never done that, so it showed the prowless in her. this is why i am a Henry fan. i just cant get enough of those two.

January 18 2008 at 9:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marisolace

Personally, I'm a Daniel/Betty fan - there's been hints of that possibly happening throughout the last two seasons, but, hell, if we're being realistic here: They probably wouldn't hook up until the -end- of the series. But I'm holding out for that eventual outcome.

Seeing as that event would cause the end of everything, I'm currently rooting for Gio. Just because, well, not only is he a sweet character, but I prefer Freddy Rodriguez to Christopher Gorham. Freddy is my type, though, so that's... to be expected. Really, though, did you see him in this episode? Wasn't he just adorable?

Don't get me wrong - I love Henry. Great character, he's had some -awesome- moments with Betty and everybody else, and I certainly preferred him to Walter. I just would rather he not end up with her. Heh.. I seem to be in the minority with that opinion. It's nice to know I'm not the only one, though.

Y'know, I commend you for making little blog entries for this series. It's hard enough to find decent summaries, let alone opinions on everything, since none of my friends even watch...

January 18 2008 at 4:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply