April 23, 2014

Galactica prequel may happen after all?

by Brad Trechak, posted Jan 19th 2008 10:01AM
Battlestar Galactica, Season 3Ain't It Cool reports that due to the WGA strike and the resulting lack of new scripts, the Battlestar Galactica prequel Caprica may be filmed after all. The series is set 50 years before the events of Galactica and tells of the Adama family and the events leading up to the first Cylon war.

If there ever was proof of the statement that "every cloud has a silver lining", this is it. Mind you, without working writers to do necessary polishes to the script during filming, I wonder how good the resulting product would actually be?Plus, they only have the finished pilot script. This could end up being just another TV movie. Mind you, I know of many good TV movies that never became series (the Doctor Who movie of 1996 comes to mind).

As a Battlestar Galactica fan, I hope this rumor has some meat to it.

India

I would LOVE it if BG has anything added to it. I was sad to see that this season was going to be the last. With such a fine cast and great story, which of course comes from the writers, PLEASE keep this series going. It is nowhere near running out of story lines.

February 14 2008 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathaniel

Awesome. If this goes exactly right with timing, they could be filming the pilot, then magically the strike ends, and suddenly they have a hit on their hands, and a full staff of writers! That would be so cool.

Honestly, I don't know why SciFi wasn't jumping on this in the first place... I know I'd watch!

January 21 2008 at 1:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
L'Emmerdeur

Or you could say, "For once, pony-tailed corporate suits won't have a chance to mess with the writers' product, so we'll get something with a conclusion that doesn't suck."

January 20 2008 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

Bastille Day was just on Universal HD (they are starting the entire show from the beginning all in HD) ... I had forgotten how powerful the early episodes were

January 20 2008 at 6:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julius Marx

Bring it on. The more BSG the better!

January 20 2008 at 3:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Usama

I love that Season 3 cover. Oh and this prequel thing would be nice.

By the way maybe someone here can answer this one for me... how is it that BSG will start up in March if there's a strike going on? They didn't finish filming the entire season did they?

January 19 2008 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Usama's comment
bsgfan2003

If memory serves they finished 10-11 episodes. I read somewhere that episode 10 would be a good season finale but that our collective hair will catch fire since we will have to wait so long for the conclusion.

January 20 2008 at 12:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Regardless of what happens this is good news. I am eager to see what Ron Moore and his crew can do with the idea. If the flashback webisodes leading up the Razor are any indication it could be very good. No matter what happens with this strike, Sci Fi would be foolish to let Ron Moore slips through their hands.

January 19 2008 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

Brad, don't apologise. 'bsgfan2003' is an idiot. It's perfectly reasonable to be skeptical about the production of a BSG prequel just to keep some people in work.

January 19 2008 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bsgfan2003

Brad - I did not mean for that to read so rudely. I should have used a :)

January 19 2008 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bsgfan2003

"...how good the resulting product would actually be?"
With respect to you - hush it. Just let the process move forward in peace. Galactica fans are getting an unexpected gift. I for one, am counting my blessings.

January 19 2008 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply