November 23, 2014

Kitchen Nightmares restaurants close; Gordon Ramsay attacked

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 21st 2008 4:25PM

Gordon Ramsay

If you've ever watched the US version of Kitchen Nightmares, the show where chef Gordon Ramsay goes around to different failing restaurants and tries to fix them, you've probably wondered what happens 3 or 6 months or a year down the road. Do the restaurants stay on track and continue to be a success?

Well, not always.

Sebastian's, a Burbank, CA restaurant featured on the show, closed over the weekend, according to WhatWouldRamsayDo.com. In a message, the owners said that they are moving back to the Boston area for family reasons. LAist says that the owner hinted that a network was interested in him having his own food/reality show.

Interestingly, that's not the only Kitchen Nightmares place to close. Lela's in Pomona has also gone out of business, which would make it the third restaurant featured on the show to close (though one of them reopened under new management).

Restaurant closings aren't the only Ramsay news today. The Sun reports that at another restaurant featured on the show, a chef actually chased Ramsay down the street with a knife! Apparently he didn't like Ramsay telling him that he "disliked him more than anyone in the world." Security guards got to the chef before he could reach Ramsay.

paul.sager

I've seen the show about Sebastians, and he was such a jerk, his restaurant deserved to fold. And I don't like the comments about Lela's. Not ONE person in that restaurant knew what they were doing! I knew before I logged on here that it would be closed. Chef Ramsay can't always turn ignorant owners into winners, especially with a staff like that.

January 24 2012 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cloenc

Watching the owner of Sebastians retaurant made me sick. He had a huge ego and he couldn't cook . He couldn't manage his reaturant , but he thought he would franchise it. I hate to see a person go out of business, but Gordon Ramsey's ideas could have helped this restaurant. Unfortunately the owner was simply a loser who just cared about himself, not the staff , nor his family. He was in love being in Hollywood.
I wish I had his location , his opportunity and the idea's of Ramsey. I could have made this retaurant a success. Unfortunately, the owner had a unique menu which took patron's 25 minutes to read, but not even undertsand it. Now where is his franchise??

December 01 2011 at 10:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Harris

Wanna make $1 million in the restaurant biz? Easy- just start with $2mil!

November 05 2011 at 10:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

I enjoy the episodes when the owner is faced with the reality of firing a staff member or two because they are cancerous to the business, however they are also "Friends" with the particular staff member and decide not to let them go based on their long term friendship.

Moral of the story, never hire your friends.

July 27 2011 at 2:02 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Anita,

Your link (yes, Richard, it does work if you copy and paste it, the link was just too long to fit on one line) does indeed show that Gordon Ramsay was interviewed by Richard & Judy.
Unfortunately, they appear (as Jessop had said) on Channel4, which is not "one of the BBC channels".

I put it down to a little misunderstanding about the TV channels in the UK, Anita. BBC is very different from Channel4.
Not worthy of being called a liar, for sure. A bit strong by Jessop there - a little correction would have been better.

Now, back to the show.....

April 09 2008 at 4:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
garry

Just watched Sebastian on TV.
Life really isn't fair is it. Not when complete morons like Sebastian get opportunities handed to them on a plate (in his case thanks to his wifes $300,000 input) not to mention assistance from Ramsey and his crew,and the competent staff of his restaurant
One day Sebastian may learn that bluster and bullshit are no substitute for character.
When Ramsey called his bluff, the little boy in sebastian revealed himself. Scared,Cowardly,incompetent and so grossly delusional.
This egotistical pretender has managed to fake his way into a Marrage, Fatherhood and a Restuarant Manager/owners position while not possessing any of the competencies neccessary for success.
This appaling little guy has probably moved back to michigan to be near mom, where she tells him, her little boy is wonderful and everything is alright.
But it's not alright, several people lost there jobs, his wife lost her $300,000 ( i shudder to think how much more debt was incurred).and worsed of all he will probably imbue the same nonsense he suffers from into his child/children.

March 18 2008 at 8:27 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Rachel

Thank you Anita. I'm sorry that you had to read the whining of an obviously anti-U.S., wanker, who has nothing better to do than to add link, after link, after link, to only have his "bollocks" shoved up his own ass with a dish of reality. Thank you Jessop, for that especially pathetic dish of crap. And let me also "point out" to Richard, that since the link works, it is he, that has supplied the laughs. Thanks Dick!

March 10 2008 at 6:10 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Cafe Owner

Ok. Glad I found this little comment section. Just returned to Australia from a 7 week holiday in Canada. While there, I was introduced to this show. (Hadn't yet screened in OZ) Over time, I've now seen 6 or so episodes. (maybe more, but my memory can only recall so much)
Anyhoooo....as i'm watching the first episode, I'm feeling amazed. Or maybe shocked is a better word. That these places still exist. The best quote that comes from Gordon is when he confronts a chef who's food he's eaten, then finds mould growing from the same container his food came from. "I fucking ate that!"
I was glad to see these places suffering. I've been in this game for almost 20 years. Their kitchens are unexcusable, the owners a joke, and the staff unmotivated. (not blaming them, shit flows down the drain, from the top!)
My family thought I was a bit harsh, wishing bad things on these restaurantuers. Hell No. They deserve it. Why are they in it anyway? What schooling, work experience or whatever have they done? Having eaten in a few places does not qualify you to own a place. I've looked after a few kids in my time. It doesn;t qualify me to runb a child care center. See the public outrage if child care centers were run by people with not prior learning. While I don't children as highly as food, these restaurants are feeding them.
It also gives those of us that are doing a great job a bad name. It puts doubts in the average Joe Blow. They're thinking "is this place like one of the places on Kitchen Nightmares"?
I say "out" them.
Not sure where the health dept's are thru all this, but my god.
Feel free to voice an opposition to me.

February 21 2008 at 9:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Musokla

Sorry Richard, Anita's link does work if you copy and paste it into your browser. I was able to see what she was talking about without any problem. It certainly does seem that Gordon is doing a little America bashing in his interview.

February 15 2008 at 2:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Richard

Anita, I would just like to point out that many Americans are not complete self-important idiots, such as yourself. Your link doesn't work, and I seriously doubt you can substantiate that Gordon Ramsay made a claim that American food is typically on the level of Burger King.

Thanks for the laughs, but please, get over yourself.

thanks!